If your political system keeps on delivering abysmal results, how long before you have to seriously question that system itself?

French presidential approval ratings at standardised points during their terms

With the exception of Jacques Chirac, who left office in 2007, French presidential approval ratings have tended to hover around 35% or lower...

Francois Hollande appears to have once achieved an approval rating of about 13%...

Is a system, which allows such abominable mediocrity to reach the top really sustainable, or is it past its sell by date?

320

Most Helpful Guys

• This is an interesting debate.

The French presidential elections obviously have two rounds, allowing candidates with approval ratings like 20% to eventually become president. They'll have to do a great job to prevent their approval rating from sliding down to 20%, since 80% before the elections already did not approve.

However, would changing the political system even help? If you make it one round, you could have 5 different candidates with all of them having approval ratings of 15%-25%. Doesn't really help either.

To prevent the head of state from getting such an appalling low they could of course shift towards a parliamentary system where just the leader of the main party gets the position of prime minister with little power (like here in the Netherlands).

But an important debate is also whether the French just have an attitude where they are more strict towards political leaders, which would definitely affect the changes in approval as well. But I know little of that.

Next to that, it's of course important whether political developments have been bad or good for the general populace. However, the timeframe would point out that this low approval rating has been prevalent even in economic booms.

So yes, it might be time to change their political system since someone can be president with just a 20% approval rating before the elections. However, other factors of course play a significant role as well.

• The French political system is built around a lot of parties and a runoff election where most voters pick between two choices that weren’t their first choice.

Tbh if you consider how primaries work in the USA we can conclude the actual president is never many peoples first choice either.

But the French seem to continue to wish their candidate was in vs rallying to team democrat/republican.

Most Helpful Girls

• I questioning my system right now. The politics don't give anything about what the people want. They only what more money, more restriction and more power. It's sad really. We trying everything we can but it's little what we can do.

• The people should always question things. But if there's a political candidate who is running against "the system," that's usually just all talk as they using that system to get money & power!