Are Americans seen as dumb, smart, or average by other countries?

If anybody has any statistics you can say that too. I'm just curious about what people from other countries think.
  • I am American
    Vote A
  • Smart
    Vote B
  • Dumb
    Vote C
  • Average/ the same
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I'm Referring to the educational system

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I don't think Americans are dumb at all. Many are hardworking and smart and have opinions about a variety of global issues.

However, there are SOME Americans who are willfully ignorant and have no knowledge of the greater world out there. There is the opinion, at least in Europe, Asia, and Australia (I can't speak for Africa, because I've never been there), that SOME Americans know absolutely nothing about the world outside the US, whereas people in those parts of the world, whether they're students or working adults, usually know what's going on in the US.

As one German friend said to me "We have to read about Donald Trump every day in the fucking news, but you wonder whether the average American knows who our Chancellor is."

I would like to believe that only a small fraction of Americans don't know who Germany's Chancellor is. For that small fraction, it's probably a matter of "USA is the center of the world. Why should I care about other countries?" rather than them being "dumb".

1|1
    0|0
  • There are Americans and then there are Muricans! but in general I believe they are average. I was trying to look for any info and found some IQ average world maps but don't know to what extent those are reliable, USA was average in them though. Top three countries with high average IQ for their population were said in that ranking to be Asian.

1|0
    0|0
  • Judging from how people from other countries talk about us, I'd say they think we are stupid (and evil, and greedy and violent and pretty much the worse thing to happen to the world to be honest). Statistically I'd say that's far from the case (can't be leading in technology and medical research and general innovation for as long as we have while being complete idiots (not that we don't have those among us, but I don't think that's unique to the US)).

1|0
    0|0
  • I am an American, and I can say that we are a nation of idiots.

1|1
    0|1
  • I’m American but I feel many nations see us in a not so flattering light

1|2
    0|0
  • I think Americans are often seen as dumb because the dumbest of our citizens are often the most vocal.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think Americans are thought of very favourably by other countries.

1|0
    0|0
    • Well that's fucking great what if they have Latino parents but we're born there in the us? Would they still be American?

• Any sensible person would just see a person as an individual. But the concept of 'America' isn't so good in my mind. But a lot of Americans are undeniably lovely people.

• i can't see my answer in the poll... they certainly seem to be none of the above. i mean it can't be average because whilst there are some amazing American thinkers there are also 1 in 5 that can't read.

1|0
    0|0
    • Do you know where that statistic came from? I'd like to find the source of that (I doubt that 20% of our population can't read or write, my guess is its do to immigrants as reading and writing are mandatory requirements in our educational system (I mean we spend 15 years or so in it, kind of hard to believe that, that many people made it through without being able to read or write) and we do have an abnormally large number of immigrants comparative to every other country (We are the first most immigrant friendly nation with 1 million becoming citizens per year, the next most generous is Canada with 200,000 so we have a huge population of non English speaking immigrants).

• I see Americans as being a mixture of the immensely smart and immensely stupid and everything inbetween. Much the same as most Western countries.

2|0
    0|0
  • I'm not saying Americans are dumb but I've heard that many of the students are pretty bad at maths. Like very bad. Probably bc of the education system ( I dunno lol all I know is ours is the worst) Knowing maths doesn't mean anyone smart tho.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends. Sometimes I read News like that an American left His Container for weapons Open and the Young child Shot itself by accident. Then I think wtf.

1|0
    0|0
  • After having lived in 2 other countries I know a lot of people see Americans as dumb. I don't think that myself but I have heard it from others many times.

1|0
    0|0
  • They are like superpower typeπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ but i feel a bit that they are average in education wise but never forgetting that it's the "land of opportunities.."

1|0
    0|0
  • Both at once.

I think the American education system seems less consistent then a lot of developed countries. Bad American schools are -terrible- by international (wealthy country) standards. Great American schools are really good. Similarly at university level, the top American schools are world class and dominate the 'best in world' standings, but there are all sorts of crappy little for profit factories that are virtually a scam.

So people both have the image of Americans being dumb and uneducated while also being the home of a huge number of very bright and well educated people.

Obviously, America also benefits from pulling in some of the best and brightest from around the world, though some americans seem to want to no longer do that...

1|1
    0|0
  • What I’m asking is why one dumb American does something stupid and everyone else defines our whole nation by it

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm from the states and see most Americans as.. Average.

1|0
    0|0
  • I always saw myself as being average as a American.

1|0
    0|0
  • don't know but their teenage tv series are pretty dumbπŸ˜‚

1|0
    0|0
  • The less intelligent and ruder Americans (or any country really) I've seen are on internet forums. The Americans I have met irl are mostly Asian or Jewish, they are pragmatic, hard working and were typically considered geniuses in their local high schools. I do understand they aren't representative of the US population. But I know a lot of codemonkeys I mean programmers from Russia and South Asia and in their opinions, it is difficult to find a job in the US because the local American workforce in their fields are actually hardworking, competent and generally, tough competitors

0|0
    0|0
  • I bees 1 of those muricans u bees speaking bout

2|1
    0|0
  • Dumb

1|0
    0|0
  • Dumb I guess hahahaha

1|0
    0|0
  • I am American

1|0
    0|0
  • Mostly average. Some are smarter. Some are dumber.

1|0
    0|0
  • Thanks for calling us dumb, folks.
    ^_^

1|0
    0|0
  • Average

1|0
    0|0
  • I am American

1|0
    0|0
  • Some of them are, most of them are cool.

1|0
    0|0
  • Only dumb as tourists.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm Asian and I see Americans as average. :)
    Half are dumb and I'm sorry to say this but... I sometimes question if Americans still have or uphold some moral or traditional values hehe? I see them as liberated most of the time. On the other hand, half are also smart because of all the technological advancement, innovations, and of course being open or liberated also brings good in to the world. :)

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes