Are you proud to be white? Explain why or why not?

Obviously directed towards white people, but if you are not white do you think white pride should be a thing?
Updates:
MHO? Whites only😏
7d
White People, where you at? Whites only MHO 😏

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I just want to say something that I hope is painfully obvious to you. I mean, you seem smart. So I want to kind of explain basic human identity for the other posters.

It is stupid to have pride in a supposed race.

It is stupid for a black person.

It is stupid for a white person.

It is stupid for an yellow person.

I guess when I start to talk about the other colors, that's when it becomes a little more apparent just how stupid racial classifications are.

"Black" history doesn't exist. . at least as a study of the history of a group of people who only have skin color in common. When you study "Black" history, do you study the ancient Kingdom of Kush? Ancient Egypt? Do they look up the Dogon tribe? Or study ancient Ethiopians? I am not saying that most at GaG know anything about African-American History mind you. I am just saying as a person who has studied it in some measure of detail, you won't find a history of a race.

When we talk about "Black" history, we talk about the history of "Black" Americans. "Black" in this instance is a cultural reference. Referring to the Africans brought to America as slaves. The culture is specific, the history is specific. We talk about Harriet Tubman. We talk about Carter G. Woodson, the actual creator of this concept. We talk about George Washington Carver.

It is silly to pretend that this is a celebration of a race and not a culture. Because I can't speak to the experience of Afro Latinos. I can't speak to the history of Haiti or Jamaica. And I sure as heckfire can't talk about the experience of people in Africa, north, south, east or west. It is silly to pretend that "Black" people all have the same cultural or historical experience. That's why we use the term African-American. Even as a significant portion of the country refuses to be specific when talking about different groups of people who may share some phenotypical similarities. I am not saying all black people share a defined phenotype. Any casual study of genetics will tell you that we do not.

Now in as far as "White" Americans use the term to be specific about a cultural experience of the people in American who claim a connection to one or more European culture (s), of course the term is valid. "White" people are simply a group that accept each other for being "White" here in America. And they should be able to talk about that specific history. They should be able to celebrate it.

And perhaps there is something more unifying about European descended cultures. Of that, I have no idea. I may have European heritage, but no one in America has ever mistaken me for being a member of one of the cultures. Perhaps when I travel outside of America, things are a bit different.

But to make this claim on the basis of race, it as silly as making a similar claim of any other make believe race. "Whiteness" exist only where people recognize it as a unifying principle. How many World Wars do we have to have before we recognize many people simply do not share that idea?

The thing that is fascinating about America, forums like GaG, etc. is the outright refusal to acknowledge something basic about the human experience no matter where you look or where you find human beings, and that is this thing called "culture". And the outright insistence that everyone identify with this make believe thing called "race". When even the proponents can't even identify what they mean by race or why they even use it.

What is race used for? Does it tell you how a person acts? Does it instruct you as to what a person will believe? Does it tell you which group you can blame? Or how you can stereotype people?

When will there be a thread that explains this, since to most raciologists, this is common sense?

1|3
    0|3
    • You just wish you were white, choc-ice...

Your a coveted race imperialist.

• Show All
    • 7d

@FreshOutaIdeas Again, you use words without understanding their meaning. You accuse me of what you display in every post which is circular reasoning. It is your defense against logic and common sense.

1. It is common sense that I can't objectively define how group identity works around this planet. Human beings form social groups that make sense to them. That's primarily why race is a complete and abject failure as a classification system. It simply ignores what humans say about their group identity. It is basically an invention of American society.

2. We all know that human beings have group identity. We form social groups. It is basically makes us different than animals. We have a highly developed sense of "society". But the only way find out about those societies or group identities is to talk, ask and listen.

You don't any of that. You have your nutty grouping system and you have to enforce it on everyone. Because your fragile sense of self is tied up in a classification system that is bound to fail. You and yours feel people rejecting "race". Not that it was ever popular in the first place. But that's ultimately why you guys are losing your minds.

You can pity me. You are free to do whatever you wish. It is your psychosis.

But one thing is for absolutely certain. I am at peace with who I am. Because my identity is only dependent me and those who share my group identity.

Unlike you, I don't have to worry every night about what identity people will choose. Or whom "White" women choose to have sex with. Or what history people will choose to honor or respect.

Because my only want or need is the freedom to make my own choices.

Good luck son.

The next few decades won't bring you happiness. I hope you find a way to deal with that fact before that fact deals with you.

• 7d

@FreshOutaIdeas You have talked insanity for a few days just to make one point. So your issue simply put is, you will lose your entire mind if “White” women have sex with men who are not “White”.

Tell me again how you are not crazy.

Are you proud to be white? Explain why or why not?

• Yeah, I'm proud of our technological achievements and prosperous nations.
    However, I think we're really stupid for always helping other races

1|2
    1|1

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• White isn't even really a thing.

I am proud of my ancestors who came to the US in many ways. I am proud of the Hessians who came to fight against the US during the Revolution, and decided to stay. I am proud of the French Huguenots. I am proud of the Scots, the Bavarians, the Polish. These are my various heritages.

White? Why would I be proud on that?

1|0
    0|1
  • I am proud of my ethnicity but I don't see it necessarily superior.
    Everyone has the right to be proud of their ethnicity, but considering your own race as superior is something extreme.

Because seeing your race "superior" implicitly means seeing others as inferior.
    No one is biologically superior to other, superiority comes with your abilities and your contribution to the society. While it is true that people from some other races tend to contribute more, that does not make them biologically superior.

About racism, I don't think it is possible to destroy it completely, being leery to different people is a part of human nature.

However, there are ways to minimize it.

3|4
    0|0
  • I don't really feel any sense of identity in my "whiteness". If I had to pick something I was proud of it'd be my own achievements first and foremost. As for an identity sort of thing I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the one's who died. Who gave that right to me and I'll gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today. 'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land, God Bless the USA. Other than that I guess I have some affinity for the Irish/ Scottish as most of my ancestors are from around there.

1|1
    0|0
    • Although politically speaking Ireland is insane, don't know much about the Scotts.

• I don't think white pride should be a thing, at least not now. I can see that being very bad and going very racist.
    I like being white, but I don't know if I consider that pride. I just know that I benefit from my skin color.

1|0
    0|1
  • Martin Luther King said "everyone" should be judged by the conduct of their character and not the color of their skin.

There is too much money in racism to ever stop the movement claiming it.

MLK's name is being dragged through the mud now by doing exactly the opposite and his dream has been shattered by militant racists on every side.

3|1
    0|0
  • No, my race isn't a source of pride or guilt. I'm an egalitarian and I don't think my race is especially relevant because it isn't a source of adversity or challenge for me to work through or overcome.

I don't think white pride makes sense in most modern societies. Minorities who face discrimination based on their race have an actual reason to be proud of their heritage and race, because it represents something they've overcome.

My grandfather worked hard all his life to provide for his family, yes. But he did that work at a company that wouldn't have hired a black man for the same job at the time. He stayed with that company for almost 50 years and left my parents almost a quarter of a million dollars.

Because of the lifestyle he supported, my grandma was able to stay home with my mom and her brother and raise them with care and attention. They learned to speak better, learned better social skills, and eventually had their college education paid for.

My parents suffered HARD in the financial crisis after 9/11 and the recession of '08, and I ended up paying for my own college and working odd jobs, but I know that the reason I'm so eloquent and do so well in interviews is partly because of my excellent language skills and because I speak the same way that my hiring managers have.

I've rarely been turned down after an interview, despite having little or no experience for sometimes difficult or demanding jobs.

I've also never been interviewed by a person of color, despite living in a community that is only about 60% white.

People who question the existence of white privilege baffle me. That's like denying that the sun is a star or declaring that the earth is flat.

You don't need to feel guilty about your privilege, but it's nothing to feel proud of either.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care, but if some people do, does it matter? I mean some black people may be proud of the fact they are black. If people want to cherish their skin color what is the problem? Them being proud of something does not imply that they are against what you have.

0|0
    2|0
    • I never said it was a problem or that it does matter. I just asked a question.

• Show All
    • i wonder, if i was saying something racist towards black people if you would have still said the same.

• I would have 🤷🏾‍♀️

• I am comfortable in my skin, but I would not consider it "pride". I'm definitely not proud of our past doings (e. g. slavery, etc.) To me, I think that black pride should be a thing because they've been through so many tough things. And many are currently going through discrimination just because of their skin colour. Like take a look at the KKK. Hitler. They're awful people and I'm not proud of what happened whatsoever.

2|0
    0|1
    • You shouldn't be proud of what you didn't achieve.

• Of course, but people are still racist whether I've achieved it or not. Some people call me names that have nothing to do with me/things that I've never done. So really it doesn't matter if I've personally done something

• I dont think anyone should be proud to be white or black or blue or whatever because all have done good/bad no matter the color. They should just be happy to still be alive

1|2
    0|0
  • I'm proud to be white, and I hope whatever color a person is, they are just as proud about their heritage and color. We all have a lot to offer, and a lot to be proud of. And hopefully, we're humble enough to share what we have, and to help others to achieve.

0|1
    1|0
  • Not particularly, but not because I'm ashamed or guilty; I just don't care. Our society is so hyperfocused on race and simultaneously shames racism, which to me are self defeating principles. Personally I don't think race matters that much. There are definitely advantages/disadvantages to certain races but they're trivial matters. For instance, black people tend to be genetically athletically superior, and both black and Asian races tend to age better than other races. White and Asian people tend to have an easier time with their hair compared to black people, but Asians have less variation. There are definitely differences between races (apart from skin color obviously), but I don't really give a shit about most of these things. They don't affect my life by much. Yeah when I'm 50 I'll probably look older than some Asian dude my age but so what? I'm not so vain that I'm gonna to around complaining about it, and these things aren't worth being proud of good or bad. Accomplishments are worthy of pride, not trivial character traits passed down from birth. The whole obsession about racial differences is just annoying to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not about being white no. I’m pretty proud of my Scottish, Norwegian and Métis backgrounds though. “White” or Caucasian is just a gene for melanin deficiency and I never really felt a single cultural identity shared between most of us so didn’t put much value in it.

0|0
    0|1
  • I think it should be a thing. Be proud of what you are because if you aren't nobody else will be. Nobody should have to feel ashamed of what they were born as.

3|1
    0|0
  • I don’t care. Although I’m getting sick of being blamed for all the evils in the world. We are all aware of what my ethnicity did. My liberal HS and college did a fine ass job reminding me of that. But if it wasn’t for us there probably wouldn’t be the following:

- modern medicine
    - modern transportation
    - space travel
    - electricity
    - running water
    - overall lower mortality rates

1|1
    0|0
  • I mean thought people might be proud of their achievements or something they're accomplished with hard work or of a skill or talent they have.
    Being white, black, brown, red, yellow or blue is neither of these things, therefore why should one be proud of this? It's just a genetic trait you inherited

1|0
    0|0
    • Looking at the in this questions, one can see what's wrong with the world. All these supremacists that think being white is an achievement and makes them superior

• It's genetics, a happenstance of my existence. It's not something to be prideful about. Pride should be reserved for something you achieved on your own.

1|1
    0|1
  • Yes. For the same reason I am proud of what my parents have given me, and my grandparents and my great grandparents who worked or even worse fought and died for this land. I won't throw all of this into the trash bin because of some fucked up agenda saying how Whites are the world's greatest evil.

0|1
    1|0
  • Most white people can track their ancestors and be proud of say, their swedish heritage, if they have that. White pride should definitely not be a thing.

0|1
    1|1
  • No. Definitely not.

I'm proud of my achievements, not of my low melainin which I have no control over. Also sunburns suck.

1|0
    0|1
    • (((cuck))) detected.

• Show All
    • 7d

Yikes... Try Plato instead... You need a much more holistic understanding of history - then again like in the first couple posts, your just anti-white.

In a strange irony, I'd *almost* agree, indeed, my hard work is what's important in the here and now - but I do it for both my forebears and my children, and their children... And so on.

• 7d

@FreshOutaIdeas I'm not anti-white. I just don't appreciate racial pride, when none of us chose the colour of our skin. It's a stupid thing to be proud of.

I like to think my classical education, including Greek and Roman stoicism, has increased my patience as well as my conviction in my values. Though I owe a lot to Michel de Montaigne in the same vein...

• I cannot be proud of something I did not achieve. Sorry... but no.
    ~ "I'm a man on a mission; stay out of my way."

1|0
    0|0
  • I AM white, it just is. I'm not ashamed of it but I'm not celebrating it either, any more than I'd celebrate having buttocks. It's just a reality rather than a particular focus.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am proud of my White (german/slavic) heritage.

White europeans brought us into Higher Quality of Life.
    White people invented Most of the Things you See around you.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm middle eastern but was always told that I look white

... so i don't think that race is something to be proud of since it's not something you achieved. Same with black pride. But I don't think white pride is racist. White people are the most people who are discriminated against nowadays also no white perosn owes blacks a damn thing

0|0
    0|0
  • You can't be proud of something you had no control over in this case race but to be honest i believe there is only one race, the human race, i'm white but to me we are all the same, we just have different colors, inside we are all humans and there's no a "better race" the nazis believed that and they were proven wrong, being racist is one of the most stupid things in this world.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm only half white, and I try to be proud of being both Japanese and white, but not take either to excess, I have to raise my daughter to have her feel proud in her skin as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure. Even though in the grand scheme of things, ethnicity is pretty irrelevant to someone's qualities as a person.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really because being white is considered a good thing, I know people are stupid
    If you're white, or even fair, you're beautiful according to world standard
    So no, I don't think white pride should be a thing

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not white (clearly lol) but I think the concept of being proud of something you didn't choose, such as your skin color, is silly and kind of makes no sense. Goes for all skin colors...

1|1
    0|1
  • No I'm not proud to be white. Let me explain why.

You can be proud to be German or French or European or whatever, but when you say you're just proud to be white then you're saying that you're just proud to have light skin. Because "white" is not really a culture. You may be thinking that's hypocritical since black people can have pride and culture in being black, however many black Americans have had their ancestry stripped from them due to slavery. A lot of them don't know what country their ancestors came from so they can't say their proud to be Kenyan or Nigerian, they can only be proud to be black.

I don't hate the fact that I'm white, but I'm ashamed of what my ancestors have done to people of color. I just don't understand why you should be proud to be white when you can be proud to be English, French, German, etc.

3|0
    0|0
  • Don't really think about it. Race shit is just something other races tend to try to bug me about because they're racist. Otherwise it's unimportant.

0|0
    0|0
  • white. I don't walk around thinknig this... I think of myself as Italian American... sounds more spicy... like a good sandwich. and I associate that back to a lot of good people and food. white to me is English of which I'm some. when I look at history, we were some really rotten people that were white, but lots of good ones too. the wicked runs through humanity, so I don't think white should be shamed, we should appreciate the good, smack down teh bad, and acknowlege that other races we've wounded should be handled appropriately given historical wounds.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not one of those white guilt cretins, but I don't exactly exhibit white pride either. I exist, I guess.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t really care about race. I’m definitely not ashamed that I’m white, but also not proud. It just is what it is.

1|1
    0|0
  • I am proud of being who I am at this point of my life, and part of that is being white

0|2
    1|0
  • I'm not ashamed. I'm proud of my country and my family.

0|1
    1|0
  • “White pride” literally stands for supremacist organizations that are derogatory ... I’m assuming you mean not as liberal and just accepting being white...

0|0
    0|2
    • Just because you're proud doesn't mean you think you're superior.

• I know that. I’m going off the definition of what white pride is though... should be a different word.

• Also this is hard to just say and pick my mom is black my dad is white... I’m proud to be both then. But I celebrate black pride more I suppose

• Sure? I'm at least proud to be pale and not put myself through all the sun damage to be tan.

0|1
    1|0
  • Im only proud of my accomplishments. And i dont respect people who are proud of things they didn't do, i think they are losers.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think about being white about the same amount as I think about cauliflower

0|1
    0|1
  • Proud for something that is not a result of your own hard work? OK :D

1|0
    0|1
  • Not at all. But I guess I'm glad about it? I find bright skin to look better, but I don't really identify myself over my colour, it's just like that. I'm not proud of my eye colour either.

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes, of course.
    Because I like us the way we are ^_^

0|1
    0|0
  • I guess. Im happy with how i am, but im not sure i can rightly take pride in something that i had no part in. Its just how i am, a fact of life.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have neither brown pride or white pride, and ethnic pride doesn’t really mean anything to me. I just have national pride.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't spend any time thinking about this because it's not important.

1|0
    0|0
  • Being proud of something you didn't do is called stupidity.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am proud to be who I am and who I was made to be. I don't think race has as much to do with it as just being yourself. But honestly I think black guys get all the ladies anyway... But it's about liking who you are and embracing that! The more you embrace that the more people will like you. But it is also a thing to behave within the culture you are in. I would say whoever you are, acting respectful and not loud is a good thing. I have encountered some black girls that are really loud and obnoxious which is to me off-putting but I'm also met some really pleasant black girls that i would not mind asking out on a date. I suppose part of it is culture but black people from other countries also have a difference too. It's tough to understand or pin down. But I think it's really about behavior rather than color... I suppose there can be quite an argument there in itself...

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's weird to be proud of something about oneself that you have no power of.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like when I'm more tanned in the summertime.
    That's when I feel the most proud I guess?

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes