How is it that states are allowed to make their own immigration laws?

Trump put soldiers on California/Mexico border, and our new governor is pulling them and continuing the Sanctuary State policy. If they enter California, they can go all over the country, so I don't understand why California is permitted to violate federal immigration law.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• that's how it works. states can determine how it uses its funds. california isn't pulling federal troops it's pulling state troops from the border. so they aren't violating any law as the federal government cannot dictate to states how they spend their money

they can offer sanctuary in the sense that they do not seek out illegals because again they don't have to spend their state or local dollars to enforce federal law. ICE can come in and arrest people in sanctuary cities if they wish

0|1
    0|1
    • Oh, I didn't know that. I thought ICE can't arrest them in sanctuary cities

• the issue ICE faces in those places is that local law enforcement doesn't necessarily share information or hold a detainee without physical evidence that the person is illegal. ICE wanted people held by local police on suspicion until ICE agents or homeland could show up to actually prove people weren't legal. the sanctuary cities said they wouldn't be complicit in this practice... which the courts said is legal

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• That makes no sense to me. But maybe he has some kind of plan in mind.
    It boggles my mind that people can't figure out that illegal immigration is illegal. Your governor should be arrested for treason.

0|1
    0|0
    • They know exactly the given driver license. They have a database of millions of illegals living in California with driver license you also got the right to vote because of computer errors. At least that's what they call them.

• Show All
    • It said Trump send them.
      California wouldn't send. They want illegals

• @ZeussLightningBolt
      The politically correct term is "undocumented voters." lol

• They’re state troops.

Trump can order the federal ones around. He might order them to start work on the wall, which can be kicked off by 2-10 years of court cases trying to push through all the eminent domain cases required.

0|2
    0|0
  • The Constitution states that any powers, rights, and responsibilities not specifically given to the federal government remains with the States.

0|0
    0|0
  • How did you not know that New Mexico did this first, almost two weeks ago? And the Federal government cannot direct state troops. Take a course on the U. S. Constitution.

www.apnews.com/d00059684a424ab7adf1a43c618c86fd

SANTA FE, N. M. (AP) — The governor of New Mexico ordered the withdrawal of the majority of the state’s National Guard troops from the U. S. border with Mexico on Tuesday, in a move that challenges President Trump’s description of a security crisis.

Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham announced the partial withdrawal shortly before Trump’s State of the Union address. Her Republican predecessor deployed National Guard troops to the border in April 2018 at Trump’s suggestion, and 118 remained there before Tuesday’s reversal.

0|0
    0|0
  • They really can't and until some Governors are arrested and charged , they will continue to crap on the constitution.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they aren't Federal Troops they are the National Guard which is done at the state level

0|1
    0|0
  • U. S. Constitution, Bill of Rights, 10th Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Since the Constitution doesn't cover immigration matters this becomes a touchy subject. By default, the governor can secure (or not secure) his borders as he sees fit or within his means.

0|2
    0|0
    • It's the rules that the fed and California have to go by. Putting constraints in place is what gives the U. S. a "federal" government and not a "national" government.

• They're not but California government does not care it's very corrupt.

This is the kind of stuff that leads to Civil War

0|1
    0|1
    • I can see that coming. It's almost inevitable.

• Show All
    • WOW! Great article. I would argue that slave culture is also prevalent in California. Illegal Mexicans often work in fields in dangerous conditions, and don't even get paid. And many foreign gangs specialize in sex slavery and forced labour. I've read stories about immigrants being brought from Asian countries and having their passports seized.

• Yup California is really horrible place unless your only goal is to live off the government or if you're already have friends in high up government positions to give you government deals. For about 99% of everyone else it's a horrible place. There's even medieval diseases coming back and the government trying to hide it.

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes