Do You Think Seat Belts Should Be Mandatory By Law?

In some countries (E. g. Norway) it's mandatory to use the seat belt in both buses and cars. If you don't use them, you may get fined. Please explain Why you thinks so. #Law #Justice #SeatBelt

My Opinion:
I think people should use seat belts and especially in cars, but I don't think it's possible to enforce the law properly when it comes to buses. Why I think it's okay having a law when it comes to cars, but not buses is because of it's pointless to fine people more than 200$ when the buses are full and there's not enough seats available. The bus companies here doesn't have enough seats in the buses or enough available buses, so when many people at the same time wants to take the bus, some people have to stand. Off course people could wait for the next bus, but there may take 30 minutes to several hours before the next bus comes.

The government complains about not enough people taking the bus or other public transport, that too many people drives their own cars and that people are polluting a lot. They even wants to make driving people pay several hundred dollars sometimes for using the roads because fixing the roads and the pollution problems are problematic. Yet they can't solve the problem of my country having too few buses so there's not enough seats for everyone and the prices are also more expensive nowadays than earlier on. In the past a bus ticket cost ca. 2$, but nowadays it costs ca. 5$ - 6,5$ per person. Yet they can't afford "giving" people more buses.

So:
1. People gets fined ca. 200$ for not using the seat belts
2. There's not enough seats or buses available. People won't wait more than an hour for the next bus
3. The government complains about too many people driving cars
4. The road pricing and pollution taxes are expensive, so many can't afford driving either
5. A bus ticket cost 5 - 6,5$ per person, yet the buses can't afford more seats
6. It's expensive to have polices controlling the buses
  • Yes (Explain Why)
  • Yes, in cars (Explain Why)
  • Yes, in buses (Explain Why)
    Vote C
  • No (Explain Why)
    Vote D

1526

Most Helpful Guys

• "In some countries (E. g. Norway) it's mandatory to use the seat belt in both buses and cars. If you don't use them, you may get fined."
    Try doing that in any other country, and there will be riots.

I don't think seatbelts should be mandatory for anyone, in any vehicle.
    Why? Simple.
    Because not tying a seatbelt is risking your OWN life. Unlike other traffic violations like drunk driving, speeding, or reckless overtaking, not wearing a seatbelt does NOT in any way endanger others on the road.
    The only way an unbelted person can injure someone is if the person is in the backseat in a car, and in an accident flied forward, injuring the person in front of him or her. This can be remedied with a simple solution. Let the owner of the car, or if the owner is not present, the current driver, decide if they want to enforce seatbelts. If they want to, and the person on the backseat does not cooperate, the driver simply doesn't start driving. If necessarily, he can call police to remove the individual.
    It's important to mention that this doesn't go backwards - the driver doesn't have a right to ban someone from buckling their belt.

This applies to busses, trains or planes too - the policies of the public transport line should determine how they want to transport people. Naturally no airline would allow people to go unbuckled, as they are a threat to the plane and the other passengers.

As for Norway having these policies... Scandinavian countries like to make themselves look like they are the happiest countries... But accordingto North Korean surveys, NK is the happiest country in the world. Now, I don't think Norway is horrible, but I DO think authoritarianism and oppression is widespread there. Remember, just because a policeman is polite and smiles, doesn't mean he isn't oppressive.

• The government has this laws because although it would only hurt yourself if an accident happen, it can also hurt the state budget. If people gets injured or dies, it's the government that pays for their healthcare, education and disability benefits (if they gets disabled).

The government loses millions of Norwegian kroner on young people dying, because the young people often doesn't work full time when studying, so they can't pay enough taxes covering both the healthcare and education costs. So when we've an universal healthcare and education system, I thinks it's understandable they've these laws. But I do also find some of them impractical considering making the police control people are also expensive and there's not enough bus seats.

• You've interesting and good points, so I think it's weird the Norwegian government didn't think over it. I'm not sure if it was the right or left parties that made this law though.

I've been in trouble once time when I took the bus. I had to pay ca. 150$ for paying on the bus; in the middle of the trip with the app instead of paying before entering the bus. The new law says I've to pay on the bus app two minutes before entering the bus or something like that. I didn't know it and paid in the middle of the trip. No one informed me in advance. Still paid the fine though.

• Sounds to me like it is less about the safety of the citizens, and more about collecting exorbitant fines TBH.

by the way I am about 90% sure it was some left wing party that proposed it - that tends to be the case in Europe nowadays, that is, the establishment seeking power over the people through leftist ideology and socialism - but really, authoritarianism is neither left nor right. It just sucks.

• No. I'm not a fan of. gov telling me that I have to do something, especially when the only reason it's a law is because the insurance companies poured a bunch of money in some legislator's pocket.

That said, I always wear mine. I think it likely prevented me from being seriously injured when a dumbshit pothead kid decided to pull out in front of me when I was driving down a state highway and rather than gunning it and getting out of the way, he turned sharper and we had a head-on collision. And I had a couple people I knew in high school that were killed in wrecks because they weren't wearing their seat belt.

Most Helpful Girls

• I think you SHOULD wear them but I don’t think it’s the governments job to enforce. Let people conduct their own lives and don’t slap citizens with expensive tickets for something that’s none of the agency’s business. Sure educate people and they will most likely do what is necessary to protect themselves but don’t waste our taxes on micromanaging our lives

• There aren't enough seats on buses and trains. People always stand. Plus inagine if it gets stuck or people dont fit

• We've the same problem in Norway too, therefor having a law for it when it comes to public transportation are problematic. Using them in cars isn't a problem however.