How do you think guns should be regulated?

More regulation or no guns at all
More regulation or no guns at all
  • Limited to no regulation (i. e., age requirement and no fully automatics)
  • Background checks and/or waiting periods every purchase but no licence
  • License needed to own firearms with it having to be renewed with accompanying mental evaluations
    Vote C
  • License needed as per above but also with a reason or ownership (excluding self defense or recreation)
    Vote D
  • Civilians should be banned from owning fast-shooting firearms (lever action, pump action, and/or semi-auto)
    Vote E
  • Civilians should be banned from owning any firearms
    Vote F
  • Other (reply with how you think it should be regulated please)
    Vote G

1353

Most Helpful Guys

• While I support the 2nd amendment staunchly, I concede that people who wish to own firearms, INCLUDING semi-automatic civilian versions of military fully-automatic rifles, should require effective state certified training in operation, safety, and effective household storage for all class weapons of handgun, shot gun, and semi-automatic rifle, to prevent children from both finding these weapons easily and shooting these weapons. This training and certification should be required with every licensing renewal followed by background checks and a mental health examination by state certified doctors.

The beautiful thing about having a license to own and operate any state-legal to sell firearm is first an effective age restriction, second it can be recognized from state to state like a driver's license and it expedites gun store sales since you already passed a background check to receive your license, third since this license is recognized from one state to another state then these license holders can purchase civilian semi-automatic rifles that happen to be banned for sale in their state of residence and these purchases can not be denied to an out-of-state license holder for it will violate the right afforded by the second amendment, and fourth if you do commit a violent crime that calls into question mental health, your license can be suspended by the issuing state, your firearms confiscated by state police, and it will require a good amount of time to restore your good name to earn the privilege of owning a firearm once again.

Are we in agreement that this degree of "gun control" will make both sides of the argument happy?

• I regulate mine just fine. Well enough that I have taught over 100 people how to shoot, including over a dozen police officers.

I'm an out of shape fat guy but more than one person who has seen me shoot IDPA have said that they felt sorry for the bad guy who came after me.

The vast majority of legal gun owners never commit a gun crime (and commit considerably few crimes in general) - in the US, the majority of gun crimes are associated with the illegal drug trade, and the remainder are almost all committed by known criminals who can't legally own or buy a gun - so more regulations won't change that. If they could, we could simply outlaw gun violence and be done. Sadly, criminals don't obey laws and the world is awash with guns.

If people can smuggle in weed by the ton into a country that grows plenty of its own, then they will have no trouble smuggling in guns (which also already happens).

You might as well wish away atomic weapons too.

Most Helpful Girls

• In reality if the point of gun regulation is to truly try and keep guns out of the hands of people who are gonna commit crimes and kill other people with it. Those people are just gonna find a different and illegal way to get a gun. So more gun regulations isn't going to remove the issue.

Maybe implementing a program to educate kids/teens on guns, and gun safety, how to care for them, and there intended usage will actually lower gun violence. If education kids/teens on dugs and alcohol lower the chances of them miss using substances. Whats the difference between teaching kids right from wrong with guns? For fixing the school shooting issues schools need to change there policies on punishments when it comes to bullying.

• Absolutely

• I never said we need more regulation, or that guns kill people. I simply suggested educating people on guns and changing schools pilicies with bullying and how they punishes kids. So i dont understand the point of your comment.

• I have to admit that in the UK, where even the police don't have firearms, there is a lot less gun crime than other countries. That said, I still don't believe guns should be held from people that use them responsibly.

• No citizen needs a semi automatic. Like what? You need to kill dozens of people? A simply handgun is enough for protection

• You clearly don't understand what Simi automatic means.

• Bad spelling or not, just about every handgun is semi-automatic. Yes, there's reason a civilian needs a semi automatic rifle. Self-defense situations are stressful and thus make one prone to making mistakes. The ability to make a second shot after you miss or even misplace the first can be the difference between life and death.