Do you think Islamic republic of Iran is qualified to be in UN Women's Rights committee? Do you trust them to judge women's rights violations?

Islamic republic just sentenced Nasrin Sotoudeh, a human rights activist and lawyer, to 38 years in prison and 148 lashes (basically a life sentence because she's already 55). And that's after she already spent 6 years in prison.

Why? Because she represented imprisoned Iranian opposition activists, including women arrested for appearing in public without Hijab.

And now Iran gets seat on UN Women's rights committee. lol
Nasrin
Nasrin
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • UN Women's Rights Committee is the BEST place to INCLUDE the most sexist, women hating countries!!! WHERE ELSE would they LEARN about women's rights? There's NOTHING to worry about! NOTHING will go wrong!!! NOTHING!!! #Inclusivity #Diversity #LoveTrumpsHate
    Vote C
  • Results
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• i actually live in Iran and it's ridiculous seeing that people around the world feel sorry for Iranian women because they have to cover their hair while we're struggling here everyday of our lives because of the stupid policies made by our own incompetent government and western governments. why do people just focus on women when everyone is suffering here. i don't expect you to believe this but men are having it much worse than women in Iran. the only reason you don't hear about it is because men don't get as much sympathy as women.

1|0
    2|0
    • Actually personally, I don't focus on Iranian women that much, even though it's a pretty important matter since they don't even have the most basics of rights which is to choose not to wear religious clothing if they want and expressing themselves in ways they wish.

I actually know males (especially working class males) have it far worse than a lot of women in Iran because they are expected to work and feed an entire family while their economy goes downhill and for that, sometimes they have to work 3-4 jobs (and still not being able to have a decent life). And that's while their women stay at home.

I also understand the frustration you feel and agree with what you said. The world (west in particular) is pretty obsessed with women's issues rather than focusing on both genders. It's a problem western males face too.

But again, women's issues is one issue and must be discussed. I guess you could at least try to use westerners' obsession for it to make your voice heard.

• Show All
    • خیلی مسخره بود این حرف از کی تا حالا به مردها بیشتر سخت میگذره تا خانم ها؟ همه ی مشکل ها به اندازه خودشون اهمیت دارن قرار نیست که چون شرایط اقتصادی خوب نیست مشکلات خانم ها بی اهمیت جلوه داده بشه...۳۸ سال زندان واسه یه وکیل فقط بخاطر دفاع از حق خودش تاسف واره و کل دنیا باید ازمون حمایت کنه

• @Little_Princesa

عزیزم، کسی نگفت به مردها "خیلی" بیشتر سخت میگزره. میگفتیم مشکلات ایران به مشکلات زنان خطم نمیشه و بسیار ریشه ای تر از اینهاست، که البته کاملا هم درسته.

• Sure!

Riyadh is already in the U. N. Human Rights Council, so why shouldn't Tehran be in the U. N. Women's Rights Committee?

Do you think Islamic republic of Iran is qualified to be in UN Women's Rights committee? Do you trust them to judge women's rights violations?
    Remember Saudi Arabia's Qassim Girls Council?
    http://www.alriyadh.com/1577183

Now, it's Tehran's turn!

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Iran is a joke when it comes to women’s rights. They’re very strict and I’ve lived there before.

But why isn’t changes being made? Because ridiculous feminists are till marching for rights in westernised countries. Smh.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• they are one country. so just one vote. the representatives on the committee are more important than the country they represent

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah yeah. It's just a tiny little dictatorship that stones women to death. Let's just include them. It's not like principles are important to us and credibility of an international body gets flushed down the toilet for those of us who actually believe authorities should lead by example.

• Show All
    • "and russia is on the comittee
      nigeria is on the committee
      saudi arabia is on the committee"

Of course. That's why I don't take them seriously or trust them. "They're all already there so let's just give another terrible country authority to judge women's rights violations hoping they'd improve". Lmfao

Countries aren't children and UN isn't elementary school, buddy. But everyone's entitled to their opinion. You hold yours.

• alright buddy

• I would think being on the committee would open themselves up to being judged and held accountable.

Honestly I don’t know how UN politics works, but while this seems like a stupid idea at first glance I think it might be beneficial in the long run.

0|1
    0|0
    • It won't be. We had that experience with UN commission for human rights which had to be replaced because it became too much of a circle jerk for bloody dictatorships. And the replacement is UNHRC which isn't any less of a circle jerk for "included" dictatorships that vote together.

• There shouldn't be rights for women the way women are asking for it, also men shall give simple rights to women because a woman is the other half of a mam and she is a part of him...

Give rights as long they don't hurt the man and woman's love and marriage...

Womam can drive, can vote, can work, can have an opinion... etc but in the end a woman is a woman and a man is a man...

1|0
    0|0
  • If they are part of it then they can be held accountable and explanation can be demanded. If they are not part of the committee you can't ask them, punish them or demand an explanation.

0|1
    0|0
    • They don't need to be part of a committee to be denounced, held accountable, or asked for an explanation and such. That just happens through resolutions that can be accepted by various institutions in the UN, such as the UN security council, UN general assembly and UN Human rights council.

• Show All
    • @Glue-Sniffer Iran effectively surely isn't alienated by the West.

• @tartaarsaus you don't know what you are talking about. Iran can't even get its oil money from the west because no banks are willing to work with iran. Iran is effectively alienated.

• Just another episode in the long sage of the UN having idiotic nations in the wrong positions.

Goes nicely with
    - Turkey being in a committee protecting NGO's
    - Syria overseeing a conference on the elimination of weapons, especially chemical ones
    - Saudi-Arabia in the Women's rights committee
    - Sudan, KSA, China, Russia, Venezuela in the HRC
    and far more

2|0
    0|0
  • So @ OP you speak Farsi and used to live here but your actually Swedish? How? I don't really see any foreign people live here considering, apparently there used to be foreign people living here before the revolution as elders say... but i dont really see them now.

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm a little confused because it says you're from Sweden, but you use "here" as if you're in Iran. So clarify that.

1. I'm not Swedish, I'm living here for now.
      2. My father worked in the German embassy in Iran for a few years.

And of course you don't see many foreigners in Iran because there aren't many. Foreigners I knew were adults and kids from our embassy and some from Austria's.

فارسی هم بلدم

• Do not take my profile seriously by the way. I just chose Sweden randomly. I didn't wanna go with iran because some stuff i read about our country by foreign people hurt me before

• Lol no. Just like Saudi Arabia isn't either. Both of the countries rank in the lowest part of lists of the typical ~170 countries you usually study when it's about equality between the sexes.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think we need to see people's perspectives from multiple directions, also from people who maybe oppose it. The world is the place of all of us, not just of some western feminists.

0|2
    0|0
  • Islam and human rights (let alone rights for women) are mutually exclusive.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am as impressed by this almost as much as having Rwanda Angola and KSA in the UNHRC

1|0
    0|0
  • Islamic republic of Iran is qualified to be in UN Women's Rights committee?

I find that ironic and humorous and no I don't trust them, at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Is this a joke?

1|0
    0|0
  • Haha. UN back at it again.

1|1
    0|0
  • i dont trust the U. N period

3|0
    0|0
  • heck no

1|0
    0|0
  • Okay wow... Glad I don't live there.

0|0
    0|0
  • Islam destroyed our country. We gonna make a revolution and remove Islam and all barbar arab culture!

Long live Real Persian culture!

2|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes