When does freedom of speech, go too far?

In the wake of New Zealand's horrific white nationalist attack, where he cited trump as his reason for why he did it.. white nationalist supremacy has gotten out of hand. In my opinion, you can have racist views if you'd like, ya know, freedom of thought and speech, but, he actively went out and used a gun, to shoot 49 people, or however many it was.

HE USED RACIST RHETORIC TO JUSTIFY KILLING PEOPLE
Updates:
2d
freedom of speech has EVERYTHING to do with a terrorist attack
2d
Like i just said, FREEDOM OF SPEECH, ALLOWED HIM TO GO SHOOT THOSE PEOPLE

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Freedom of speech ends at threats to harm physically or violation of natural rights

0|4
    0|0
    • 2d

You'd think

• Show All
    • 2d

I did allow him to develop toxic and dangerous feeling from listening to others hate speech that inspired him to go and do an atrocious act.

• 2d

@kingofknights listening to an idea does not mean you have to act on it. That just takes the responsibility from the individual.

• Why would freedom of speech here go too far? It's not like the freedom of speech enabled him to carry out the attack.

If what he said was illegal, do you think that would change anything?

The terrorist attack probably still would have happened, the manifest would still be written, almost 50 people would still have been killed. The only difference it'd make is that he could be thrown to court for hate speech as well, which doesn't really make a difference if you kill 50 people.

Whether there is free speech for this or not, changing the legislation is not magically going to smoke out this rhetoric from the minds of the citizens.

0|4
    0|0
    • 2d

Free speech, let him go kill those people. You don't see all white nationalists going out and killing people. you see their hate rhetoric, but, you saw this guy go out and kill people, after expressing hate

• Show All
    • 2d

So what?

Do you think changing it would change anything?

• 2d

I dk what we need to change but, we can't allow that to happen. Yet, we keep letting it. Look at what happens in this world, VEGAS for example

• Well, what about all the hundreds of Islamic terror attacks... the infedels who aren't of Allah deserve to die. Since I haven't heard a peep out of you about all of those I an calling BS on you now.

This one dude is responsible. Dont suddenly act as if everyone elses free speech is a problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like the term freedom of expression more than freedom of speech. Freedom of speech means that you can say whatever you want; you can call for violence against a group of people or lie about someone to defame them (which you can't). Freedom of expression says you can voice your disdain for a group of people or individual because you're expressing your views on the topic but this doesn't hold true when you're calling for violence against or lying about them.

0|0
    0|0
  • When it translates into deliberate slander or libel, or when it is followed up by actions that hurt people, freedom of speech has gone too far and is being abused.

0|0
    0|0
  • You either have freedom of speech or you don't. And yes that means you allow people who you don't agree with to speak their opinions.

0|0
    0|0
  • Freedom of speech doesn't allow you to shoot people. Should we also ban To Kill a Mockingbird? Some people got shot over that one too. The truth is it's not what Trump is saying, it's that it's constantly plastered everywhere by the liberal media. Never in my life have I seen someone get so much free media attention for calling Rose O'Donnell fat.

It's the constant preach from the left that we need to attack Donald Trump that causes all of these politically motivated shootings. If a crazy person that idolized Donald Trump hears 14 times a day someone telling them somebody should attack him, his fragile psyci will interpret this as a call to arms to defend his way of life.

Have you ever heard the interviews with the guy who killed people over To Kill a Mockingbird? People just need to stop putting Trump on blast if they want this to stop.

0|1
    0|0
  • There isn't an opinion that is so bad it ought to be censored. The entire idea of the Enlightenment ideal called freedom of speech is to allow for the expression of ideas without worries that some authority will come and suppress you. You see, before that, the government *ahem* monarch was able to suppress ideas like science, religion, political ideas that challenge the monarchy.

You see, what someone considers as hateful and bad depends on who you ask. The idea of offensive speech and what constitutes as hateful is subjective.

0|0
    0|0
  • When it's hurtful. Or degrading or demeaning. Plus insightful to cause harm like Christchurch NZ...

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel sad for the people who died in that New Zealand mosque attack ☹️☹️

0|0
    0|0
  • He killed as he choice to do that nothing to do with freedom of speach

0|0
    0|0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes