What do you think about African leaders renaming roads after themselves, changing the names of cities they didn't build, and then asking for aid?

Do you think they'd be better advised to concentrate on health, literacy and the eradication of poverty, or is it more important to put up junk like this, in public places?
A close up of something that a nine year old could have done better
A close up of something that a nine year old could have done better

Robert Mugabe with his 'statue'
Robert Mugabe with his 'statue'

What do you think about African leaders renaming roads after themselves, changing the names of cities they didn't build, and then asking for aid?
Updates:
Bonus question - how much do you think Mugabe spent on that golem?

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm laughing at all these people who are bringing race into this. It has nothing to do with colonialism. These leaders are letting their people starve and die while they put up monuments and then ask for aid? Get out of here. I bet he spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on that one alone. Maybe more

1|2
    0|0
    • Apparently - brace yourself - that monstrosity cost $5 million.

Although, as other people have already pointed out, the true cost was probably in the thousands, and he pocketed the rest...

• Man... no wonder he has no respect as a leader... absolutely ridiculous...

• Thank you for MHO

• That is hubris of the highest degree, and a crime against the country's hostorical legacy.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Pathetic and laughable. That Robert Mugabe statue looks funny also.
    Reminded me of Erdoğan's look unlike weird statue. Funny thing is, when people criticized the artist who built the statue, he responded "No one and nothing can look like our beloved Erdoğan already." It was hilarious.

1|5
    1|0
  • I think they should put more focus on debt repayment when at the moment they are even struggling to manage their debt servicing.

0|2
    1|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• i think they are like a lot of leaders...
    Stalingrad
    the various Fredericks of Denmark named i believe 5 different places after themselves
    Pompey named modern day pamplona after himself
    English royalty for a long time changed city names to honor themselves

and the number of leaders and conquerers who erect statues in their own honor well that's a long list too... silly yes. but of little consequence. i mean i doubt mugabe spent more than a day picking a road and perhaps a days directing the construction of a statue. he didn't take care of his citizens because he didn't give two fucks

1|1
    0|1
  • Malnourished North Korean sculptors could build a better statue.

0|1
    0|0
  • On one hand I feel surely there is enough streets in the country to name one road after a former president. On the other hand Mugabe has left his country such a shell of its former self surely he deserves the statue he's got lol

0|1
    0|0
    • He tended to name the main street in every city and town after himself.

Agree about the statue - it's what he deserved, lol.

• Considering they killed and starve many of they own people' if naming a road sign after them if that's the worst thing done then Africa would be in a much better place than it is now it's not only the way they treated their people but they siphoned off a lot of the countries wealth for themselves first thing I think they should be up on trial

0|1
    1|0
  • Well these leaders tend to be dictators, and their countries are almost always plagued by rampant corruption. They often ask for aid, but instead of spending it in ways that help their people, they tend to pocket it or spend it on pet projects instead. Stuff like this is one of the main reasons third world countries stay impoverished backwaters, because corrupt governments run them as a kleptocracy and could care less about the condition of their people.

0|1
    1|0
  • Here in the US, poor and poverty-stricken neighborhoods are a big cause for crime and delinquency, especially for the African-American community where a disproportionate amount of these individuals are located/concentrated in compared to other minorities. So, if I were a prominent African-American leader, my entire focus would be the neighborhoods and family structure. This can seriously affect the arrest rates of African-Americans because police are concentrated in areas where there’s a lot of crime and delinquency, so cleaning up these areas can remove police from consolidating their resources around or in here.

0|1
    0|0
    • Erm... this is about Africans?

• Oh, sorry Jim, I think I might’ve gotten the question wrong. I think you were talking about the continent of Africa and the citizens/leaders there, while I was talking about African-Americans here in the US and their disproportionate arrest rate by police officers, and overall higher criminal offending rate compared to other minorities.

• The huge ego of these leaders are precisely the reason they can't see the objective truth on anything.

When a person is so full of themselves, they miss what's actually important.

0|1
    0|0
  • Who came to Atrica and stole their riches? Who destroyed millions of slaves into the triangle trade between west Africa to Europe to America? Colonialism did. So don't give me excuses to why Africa is behind when it was robbed.

1|0
    0|2
  • Wow you man are igggggnorant and don't know anything about African culture at all 😴🙄

1|0
    2|7
    • Show All
    • I've already made my point. And you are obviously from White which explains why you can't accept the fact that Africa and Asia were great nations and full of riches and natural resources before your ancestors came along - why do you think your great great grandpa and all his friends wanted us so bad🙄.

It's either that or you're just plain stupid.🤷🏾‍♀️

I'm not gonna "cite" anything. This is not school and I don't owe you anything.

Clearly you can't be helped, and that's a shame honestly. If you wanna live in you're own little bubble and pretend that everything you read in your western European history books is the god honest truth then it's your sad little problem. Because most people in the world are now waking up but you clearly aren't. regardless, I'm not going to waste another breath on you, so enjoy arguing with yourself yh 🤨

• "I've already made my point"

No, you have not. You're telling anecdotes, not truth. Cite data that disproves what the Harvard economists and historians wrote, or stop talking.

"Africa and Asia were great nations"
      "great nations"
      Yikes.

• I think the whole ordeal is rather stupid to be honest and there are more pressing issues that they should be concerning themselves with.

0|1
    0|0
    • how much do you think Mugabe spent on that golem?

Answer - More then he should have.

• Considering the quality of the result, the sum is absolutely mind-boggling - $5 million for that lump of shite...

• For 1,000$ I know a guy who could have made a wooden statue of him that was of better quality.

• I think leaders, in general, going in and naming roads and cites after themselves that they didn't build is pretty arrogant. The only way I can see for it not being so is if they make major changes like with what the Roman Emperor did with Constantine did with Byzantium before changing its name to Constantinople. The statue looks like it costs like 1000$. A custom wacky wavy inflatable arm tube man would be much better than that state.

0|1
    0|0
  • not just African leaders but any leaders big headed money grabbing attention seeking sods

1|1
    0|0
  • They definitely should care about building up their countries, but so what if they build a statue of themselves or rename roads or cities.

1|0
    0|2
    • Do you really think that's an appropriate allocation of scarce resources?

• It probably doesn''t use up a huge percentage of the money

• The thing is, it does. That... joke of a statue cost $5 million. And it's to commemorate an imbecilic racist dictator, who tanked his own economy.

Would you think it was a sensible way to spend, if you were one of the people unfortunate enough to live under his rule?

• What they need to do is promote economic freedom. Then they will see prosperity. It happens every. Single. Fucking. Time.

0|1
    0|0
  • African leaders got their priorities straight, clearly.

0|1
    0|0
  • A false sense of entitlement has spread from the first world like an infectious disease, and become a global pandemic of insistence for undeserved benefits

0|1
    0|0
  • They should be allowed to change anything they want. It is their continent, their land, their countries. Their roads, monuments being named after foreigners is bs. Pretty sure Americans wouldn't want their streets to be named after foreign dictators, colonizers.

0|0
    0|0
    • Nonsense. It's part of their history, and their priorities should be helping their people, not self-aggrandisement.

Furthermore, plenty of colonial names remain in the United States, so your statement is factually incorrect.

• Show All
    • How about Genghis Khan, Saracen conquerors from medieval times, Moorish conquerors from Africa? Britain is not the only country in Europe

• Spain is full of Moorish (and Roman) names. There are Saracen names in the Balkans.

Not desperately wanting to erase the past is the sign of a mature, stable and developed society.

• Of course they should invest their resources in more important things, but African authorities are known for their corruption...

0|2
    1|0
  • I don't see a problem with naming roads, but the statue is taking things too far.
    Of course people should always be the priority

0|1
    0|0
  • Reminds me of David Beckham's statue

0|1
    0|0
  • I agree, they're imbeciles that would've been stuck in the stone without the white man's help. They need to know their place.

0|2
    0|0
  • Yeah... I don't give a fuck. They are changing names of streets and cities in a country they own and where they live. So what they didn't build it? That's capitalism man. Someone pays someone else so that they don't have to do the labor themselves. The colonists are gone and their infrastructure is still there. It's Africa's now.

As for the aid thing, they end up spending more because of the US and the UK than the amount of aid we give them. Foreign aid is mostly hurting them.

Africa does need to focus more on important things though, which countries are but its a slow process in a developing world.

0|1
    0|0
  • After thousands of years I think we can all agree they should focus on other things.

0|1
    0|0
  • I smell a Trump supporter from distance. 🤢🤮😖

1|3
    1|5
  • I think Rhodesia should come back and the Bantus should shut up.

0|1
    1|0
  • Who cares. The people are dumb as bricks. Education is the only thing which can help them.

0|1
    0|0
  • Changing road sign - 5min
    Sorting out education, health etc - never ending

0|0
    0|0
    • Changing road sign - preening narcissism
      Sorting out education, health etc - doing something admirable

• Come on now, he's hardly a honourable guy

• No, he's a genocidal racist, which makes it all the more disappointing that his name hasn't been removed from all the places it's been put up.

It's almost like the successor president likes his style... oh wait...

• My opinion who cares, besides the statue itself looks like a characuture

0|0
    0|0
  • Its stupid

0|1
    0|0
    • Would you agree that $5 million seems somewhat on the steep side for a statue of that calibre?

• Show All
    • I think it may be intentional, as for the bribery aspect in Africa, I think it has a lot to do with how European Countries continue to operate in the region. The French are arguably the worst offenders, they don't even disguise it, they just continue to invade africa with their actual military to protect french owned resources, like the french get up, oh its Tuesday, what former colony in Africa should we invade.

I mean the fact is its A LOT easier to exploit another countries resources if you invade or keep a system of graft in place.

• The next major global battle will be fought over the plains of Africa in my opinion.

• Narcissism at its best.

1|3
    1|0
  • Laughable, to say the least

0|1
    1|0
  • I think it's hilarious

0|1
    0|0
  • It's an ego trip and a total joke.

0|2
    1|0