Is Building In The Nature Legal In Your Country?

Is it legal to build and live in the nature (like woods, mountains etc.) in your country? I've watched "Primitive Technology", "Tube unique wilderness" etc. on YouTube. They're building a lot of small huts, swimming pools and similar in the forest in addition to find food there, sleep there several days in a row etc.

In my country this isn't legal without permission. You're not allowed to build in the nature without the owner or the government's permission. You're not allowed to use bonfire the whole year to avoid wildfire, hunt on animals or pick all kinds of plants (but berry and mushroom picking are allowed), cut down a tree to build something in government owned forests and not allowed to live in the nature more than two days a row without the government's permission. It's because of it's considered unsafe to drink water from the nature without the government rinsing it first, it's a risk of you polluting the nature with either trash or you pooping in the water and so on. Most people who wants to live simple primitive lives have to buy already existing huts that's built there by businesses allowed by the government. It can take several years before you're allowed to build something in the nature depending on how large your project is. Most of the nature is owned by the government and commoners owning a forest or similar are still regulated. #PrimitiveLife #WildLife #Building

• Is Building In The Nature Legal In Your Country?Yes, it's legal
    Vote A
  • Is Building In The Nature Legal In Your Country?No, it's illegal
    Vote B
  • It depends
    Vote C
  • Other (Explain)
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends. Most areas are split up and divided into state owned and privately owned, if not all. What little bit may be considered "public" will likely get you a vagrancy charge if you build an abode within the public eye. You can get charged with vandalism (I think) if you deface nature on property you don't own, which would keep you from chopping wood or excavating earth.

Or you can just trespass on private property with a big enough forest area. I used to do that out in the forest next to a farming town I used to live near. I'd walk up the train tracks at night (trespassing on CSX property) to get to a big, non-swamp area; There was an artificial pine forest owned by a logging company (trespassing on their property) and they also owned the oak forest next to it. The oak forest was natural, and high an unsettlingly high coyote population, but plenty of room for me to essentially build a little camp ground with my friends, fenced in on 3 sides with saplings split in half and weaved around some stick posts. Stayed up for about a year that we visited it. Haven't visited since I moved, like 7 years ago. I kinda wanna see if it's still there.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I've never really been sure of the law. I've always heard that you can stay on BLM land (Bureau of Land Management) and national forests. I think that's probably true, but I'm sure there are limitations.

As for buildings, my *guess* is that you can build temporary structures but not permanent structures.

In the US, there are a lot of people living up in the mountains in the western states. I think they are also in the east, but there isn't as much unpopulated areas in the east.

There are also people with gold mining claims (and other minerals). These are allowed on any land in the public domain. This was common in the area where I lived in Oregon. They were usually long narrow claims along a river.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_placer_claim
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_claim
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_Acts

Public land that you CAN'T live on, or camp on without a back country permit, are national parks. When I was younger you could backpack almost anywhere in national parks, but I think now most / all require permits for all back country camping, which are limited in number.

0|0
    0|0
  • Undeveloped land away from commercial districts tends to be valued fairly low and everything else is generally protected. So low cost land is your best bet for such a project. We have lots of it in the middle of the country, really in the middle of any state just about. You can find yourself cheap land all over. Because it's usually bad for one reason or another. But if you can survey for ground water then you're practically setup for a cottage easy.

People just build on their own land here and get it for as cheap as possible.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• In the USA public land like national and state forests are public land so you can’t just claim it for yourself and construct something that infringes on other people’s rights to use that land for recreational purposes. There are ways to get permission to build on public land for common use shelters where there is often bad weather that threatens people’s safety on trails or to make things like mountain bike paths, you just have to get permitted to do it first. If you own the land, you can build on it up to a point without code enforcement. It all depends on your state laws. Many states allow for small structures of x square feet, 12x12 building, or outbuildings designed for legitimate agricultural use to be constructed on your own land without code enforcement. So I guess it all depends on what you mean and how you go about it. Small non permanent shelters in the woods for dispersed camping somewhat common, you are just expected to tear them down and leave things close to how they were when leave. You can’t settle and claim a homestead on public lands though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm pretty sure that it is illegal to do so in every remotely developed country.

In my country even picking mushrooms is technically illegal, although I believe the punishment for it is effectively unenforceable on the grounds of it causing too negligible of a damage/loss to the owner of the forest.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you have a house and someone else moves in and make it their own house without paying you, what do you think is right?

The guy owns that piece of land so he can do whatever he wants.

You can't just go into other people place and do whatever you want.

0|0
    0|0
    • The primitive technology guy owns the land. He also edits his YouTube video in his modern house.

• Then the law isn't very strict then. This wouldn't be legal in my country if he didn't send an application to the government asking to build this in his own land due the pollution laws.

• 6d

Depends on the type of land. Most local laws do not apply to certain large but remote lands. it only applies when they start having stuff like water and electricity and somewhere to store the paperwork. Sometimes, that government is you because there isn't anyone else so you can approve yourself 😉.

Of course, you can build your own house. You will have to dig your own septic tank, get solar and stuff.

• If you leased or rented the land, you'd need the freeholder/landlord's permission and a council permit. If you owned the land freehold, you'd still need a permit from the council.

If the land was in a conservation area, or classed as 'green belt' land, then you can't build on it, as it's legally protected.

Simples...

0|0
    0|0
  • It's the same here. I mean, no one will stop you from building a bush shelter in the middle of the woods, but if you want to build a cabin or something, you need a permit.
    But it's illegal on state and federal land

0|0
    0|0
  • Given the enormous surplus of public land in my country, perhaps it is time to bring back The Homestead Act.

0|2
    0|0
  • I live in CA USA and it is illegal. You can't even put a new mobile home on an empty lot in the city. It is required to be hooked to public utilities and pay fees constantly.

0|0
    0|0
  • My guess is that it's not.
    That being said, those videos have been showing up in my YouTube reccomend and its pretty cool what they are able to create.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is legal if within your property, but with restrictions. There are some places that it is totally illegal. Just building a hut or even free camping in the nature is against the law. Greece.

0|0
    0|0
  • Here I’m pretty sure you’d need to do it on private land with permission from the landowner. I doubt you could do it on crown land or parks.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think so. I could probably find a place to make camp but if you set up with an intent to live out there for an extended period of time you’ll probably get kicked out of found.

0|0
    0|0
  • UK here. You can't build anywhere without planning permission, even on your own land. And it's hard to get planning permission if you're not a major developer because, you know, money.

0|0
    0|0
  • Each lot of terrain has it's own classification:
    . habitation
    . vacation
    . agriculture
    . protected nature
    If some abuses, the house can be demolished

0|0
    0|0
  • How many hours or years would it take to save money working at mcdonalds to buy a house vs how many hours or months would it take to read and learn and then build your own house?

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends. Where I live you can build certain structures and things provided it’s in your land and doesn’t violate local ordinance

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope, unfortunately, my country has too much taxes, and special permissions for privileged people (mostly politicians).

0|0
    0|0
  • If I own the land, YES! Who would want to live in a fascist shit-hole where government dictates everything you're allowed to do with your property?

0|0
    0|0
  • You won't face a fine, but they may come and knock all your shit down.

0|0
    0|0
  • No this is totally illegal in Belgium. We have far too much population here. the countryside is disappearing.

0|0
    1|0
  • Depends on how the building effects the green zone wildlife etc

0|0
    0|0
  • I live in a big city so.. Probably wouldn't be legal here lol

0|0
    0|0
  • In Germany you can't even fart without getting sued.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so. Because, by default, any land that is not private is the property of the state.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's illegal. There are zoning laws and nature preservation laws for a reason.

0|0
    0|0
  • It could be legal in the United States not too sure

0|0
    0|0
  • I have not checked but I think it would be illegal in the USA.

0|0
    0|0
  • I hope it isn't...
    Altho unlike Germany, nature in Israel isn't being considered big...

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's illegal

0|0
    0|0
  • In Vietnam, you can do it, no one cares...

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's illegal

0|0
    0|0
  • Dunno but I have before and I am right now.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes we have many tribes who build shtuff

0|0
    0|0
  • not Allowed

0|0
    0|0
  • If you own the land you can in parts of the USA you do what you want on it if you have a large area of property but every part of land is owned by someone or the state

0|0
    0|0
  • Certainly its not legal to go live on someone else's land or government land. So you'd need to own the land. At that point it starts depending on where and if there are any restrictions. Like major work may have environmental impacts on surrounding area and require approval. if you're anywhere near a community they tend to have all manner of bylaws that make actually -living- illegal anywhere unusual.

0|0
    0|0
  • Basically legal to do anything besides hookers/hard drugs in America.

0|0
    0|0
  • Uhhh... I guess if I bought the land, I guess.
    I'm not sure, but we do have "All man's right" here, though I am unsure if it's classified as sabotage.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes