Is Building In The Nature Legal In Your Country?

Is it legal to build and live in the nature (like woods, mountains etc.) in your country? I've watched "Primitive Technology", "Tube unique wilderness" etc. on YouTube. They're building a lot of small huts, swimming pools and similar in the forest in addition to find food there, sleep there several days in a row etc.

In my country this isn't legal without permission. You're not allowed to build in the nature without the owner or the government's permission. You're not allowed to use bonfire the whole year to avoid wildfire, hunt on animals or pick all kinds of plants (but berry and mushroom picking are allowed), cut down a tree to build something in government owned forests and not allowed to live in the nature more than two days a row without the government's permission. It's because of it's considered unsafe to drink water from the nature without the government rinsing it first, it's a risk of you polluting the nature with either trash or you pooping in the water and so on. Most people who wants to live simple primitive lives have to buy already existing huts that's built there by businesses allowed by the government. It can take several years before you're allowed to build something in the nature depending on how large your project is. Most of the nature is owned by the government and commoners owning a forest or similar are still regulated. #PrimitiveLife #WildLife #Building

• Is Building In The Nature Legal In Your Country?Yes, it's legal
  • Is Building In The Nature Legal In Your Country?No, it's illegal
  • It depends
    Vote C
  • Other (Explain)
    Vote D

436

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends. Most areas are split up and divided into state owned and privately owned, if not all. What little bit may be considered "public" will likely get you a vagrancy charge if you build an abode within the public eye. You can get charged with vandalism (I think) if you deface nature on property you don't own, which would keep you from chopping wood or excavating earth.

Or you can just trespass on private property with a big enough forest area. I used to do that out in the forest next to a farming town I used to live near. I'd walk up the train tracks at night (trespassing on CSX property) to get to a big, non-swamp area; There was an artificial pine forest owned by a logging company (trespassing on their property) and they also owned the oak forest next to it. The oak forest was natural, and high an unsettlingly high coyote population, but plenty of room for me to essentially build a little camp ground with my friends, fenced in on 3 sides with saplings split in half and weaved around some stick posts. Stayed up for about a year that we visited it. Haven't visited since I moved, like 7 years ago. I kinda wanna see if it's still there.

Most Helpful Guys

• I've never really been sure of the law. I've always heard that you can stay on BLM land (Bureau of Land Management) and national forests. I think that's probably true, but I'm sure there are limitations.

As for buildings, my *guess* is that you can build temporary structures but not permanent structures.

In the US, there are a lot of people living up in the mountains in the western states. I think they are also in the east, but there isn't as much unpopulated areas in the east.

There are also people with gold mining claims (and other minerals). These are allowed on any land in the public domain. This was common in the area where I lived in Oregon. They were usually long narrow claims along a river.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_placer_claim
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_claim
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_Acts

Public land that you CAN'T live on, or camp on without a back country permit, are national parks. When I was younger you could backpack almost anywhere in national parks, but I think now most / all require permits for all back country camping, which are limited in number.

• Undeveloped land away from commercial districts tends to be valued fairly low and everything else is generally protected. So low cost land is your best bet for such a project. We have lots of it in the middle of the country, really in the middle of any state just about. You can find yourself cheap land all over. Because it's usually bad for one reason or another. But if you can survey for ground water then you're practically setup for a cottage easy.

People just build on their own land here and get it for as cheap as possible.