Notre Dame Cathedral burns down - thoughts?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2019/apr/15/huge-fire-breaks-out-at-notre-dame-cathedral-in-paris-video
In my opinion, this is just gut wrenching.
France and Europe as a whole just lost one of the most beautiful, historical and cultural monuments, even without considering the religious aspect of it.

412

Most Helpful Guy

• Like you, I am stunned. As a former firefighter I see immense obstacles to even get close enough to put significant water on the main fire. First responders, probably had to be thoughtful about causing damage unnecessarily, which was quickly abandoned as the fire grew rapidly. The interior is mostly combustible, meaning it will, or already has been lost.
    My thoughts go out to the brave men and women on the front lines of this disaster.
    They do not want to make unnecessary moves that endanger their lives. We all watch with frustration as it seems there’s little they can do at this point, but try to protect exposures, and do what they can to cool it off.
    Thanks for bringing this up as it happens.

• Sadly it's one of those things you can only watch but do nothing about.
      The firefighters have directives to keep the fire at bay and control that it doesn't spread to other buildings.

• 7d

Now that it’s been put out, I am so glad that the twin bell towers were saved, along with many other priceless relics. So thank God, it was not a total loss.

• 7d

That's really a relief, and no one died.

Most Helpful Girl

• Such a tragedy. Im glad the human train of first responders were able to save the priceless artifacts inside. Also, as a sign of hope and resilience, the giant white cross in the front of the building was miraculously captured still standing and lit up amongst the darkness

• 7d

Exactly.
      Thankfully no one died and the most important parts of the cathedral are still standing. The fire fighters also managed to save most of the artwork.