Notre Dame Cathedral burns down - thoughts?

Notre Dame Cathedral burns down - thoughts?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2019/apr/15/huge-fire-breaks-out-at-notre-dame-cathedral-in-paris-video
In my opinion, this is just gut wrenching.
France and Europe as a whole just lost one of the most beautiful, historical and cultural monuments, even without considering the religious aspect of it.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Like you, I am stunned. As a former firefighter I see immense obstacles to even get close enough to put significant water on the main fire. First responders, probably had to be thoughtful about causing damage unnecessarily, which was quickly abandoned as the fire grew rapidly. The interior is mostly combustible, meaning it will, or already has been lost.
    My thoughts go out to the brave men and women on the front lines of this disaster.
    They do not want to make unnecessary moves that endanger their lives. We all watch with frustration as it seems there’s little they can do at this point, but try to protect exposures, and do what they can to cool it off.
    Thanks for bringing this up as it happens.

1|1
    0|0
    • Sadly it's one of those things you can only watch but do nothing about.
      The firefighters have directives to keep the fire at bay and control that it doesn't spread to other buildings.

• Show All
    • 7d

Now that it’s been put out, I am so glad that the twin bell towers were saved, along with many other priceless relics. So thank God, it was not a total loss.

• 7d

That's really a relief, and no one died.

Most Helpful Girl

• Such a tragedy. Im glad the human train of first responders were able to save the priceless artifacts inside. Also, as a sign of hope and resilience, the giant white cross in the front of the building was miraculously captured still standing and lit up amongst the darkness

0|1
    0|0
    • 7d

Exactly.
      Thankfully no one died and the most important parts of the cathedral are still standing. The fire fighters also managed to save most of the artwork.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• It is a horrible loss for the world! It is a historic treasure, and architectural treasure, and a religious treasure.

1|2
    0|0
  • Notre Dame fire: horrific damage but main structure saved :
    www.theguardian.com/.../notre-dame-cathedral-fire-paris-france-landmark-live-news

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, I'm quite shocked and sad about it... I hope we can reconstruct it as much as possible... But so much has been destroyed already... Feels weird to know that a part of my country's has been damaged and lost

0|2
    0|0
    • 7d

Can you now be more understanding of how Americans felt on 911? Not that there’s any other similarity between the two., I don’t think there is, one was accidental, the other was an attack on our nation. But already some are saying this is france’s 911,,, lol it’s a true disaster, both are horrendous, but not th same thing.

• Europe, Europeans, Western Civilization in general, is slowly being erased from the human record. We had a good go!

Secular Asia and Islam will eventually duke it out. After they kill each other off, the Latin Americans shall inherit the Earth. Crazy though...

0|0
    0|2
  • Really sad... I got shocked when I saw it on the TV...

There are many buildings that deserve to burn, but this is not one of them...

0|1
    0|0
  • As long as no one got hurt, idc. It's just a building, it can be rebuild.

0|1
    0|0
  • I prefer to see it burn instead of being turned into a mosque in a decade or two.

0|1
    0|0
  • Really sad. Such a beautiful building.

0|3
    0|0
  • Too many posts about this.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm with you. It's heart breaking.

0|1
    0|0
  • That sucks.

0|2
    0|0
  • Sad day for history :(.