What are your thoughts on the massive fire that has engulfed the Notre Dame cathedral?

I heard about this in French class a few minutes ago. Apparently the spire and the bell were undergoing renovations when a fire broke out, though the specific cause has not yet been discovered. The roof collapsed, and officials aren’t sure if it will be possible to restore the historical monument when the fire ceases. What are your thoughts on the massive fire that has engulfed the Notre Dame cathedral?

1643

Most Helpful Girls

• It's such a big part of their history and a big tourist attraction that it's a shame it happened. It was saved from complete destruction but the building is so old and we don't use the same techniques they did back then for our buildings so we can't just replace it or fix the damages in a way that it would look like the original. I think they saved the art that was inside which is good. It's so weird that this happened to something that survived both world wars.

• Tragedy to history. It’s a beautiful work of art that’s 800 years old. Napoleon was crowned in that cathedral.
    More importantly, how the hell does a random fire start on an old STONE building? That’s my pressing issue.

Most Helpful Guys