What are your thoughts on the massive fire that has engulfed the Notre Dame cathedral?

I heard about this in French class a few minutes ago. Apparently the spire and the bell were undergoing renovations when a fire broke out, though the specific cause has not yet been discovered. The roof collapsed, and officials aren’t sure if it will be possible to restore the historical monument when the fire ceases. What are your thoughts on the massive fire that has engulfed the Notre Dame cathedral?

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It's such a big part of their history and a big tourist attraction that it's a shame it happened. It was saved from complete destruction but the building is so old and we don't use the same techniques they did back then for our buildings so we can't just replace it or fix the damages in a way that it would look like the original. I think they saved the art that was inside which is good. It's so weird that this happened to something that survived both world wars.

2|0
    0|0
  • Tragedy to history. It’s a beautiful work of art that’s 800 years old. Napoleon was crowned in that cathedral.
    More importantly, how the hell does a random fire start on an old STONE building? That’s my pressing issue.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• A shame. Damn shame indeed. And I say this as an atheist - that building has cultural value and it's sad to see it be damaged like this.

4|11
    0|0
  • We were there about this time last year, and I said to my gal when she woke up this morning how glad I was that we saw it when we did.

It will rise again, but that will take years and we need to know how the hell it ever happened in the first place.

2|2
    1|0
    • 7d

I'm sure there will be a thorough investigation to determine the cause of the accident (or there should be a thorough investigation anyway).

• i dont care but I've seen people on twitter rejoicing calling it “cosmic karma for all the historical sites and artifacts the french stole for being colonist scum”. guess i won't really understand unless im African or something but i personally couldnt give less of a shit since im not really religious.

1|0
    3|9
    • I’m not religious either but it’s still a pretty big tragedy considering its historical significance

• Show All
    • 7d

there is a limit to everything including freedom of speech, limits differentiate a human from an animal. Accepting mistakes is also important. You should apologise for being so ignorant and narrow minded.

• 7d

im ignorant because i dont care about a building? gtfo im not apologizing for anything so go and cry yourself to sleep about it.

• I'm pretty sure that there's something not quite so much accidental about the Notre Dame's fire incident...

Taking into account the current political situation in France, it'd a perfect distraction for many issues there.

2|4
    0|0
  • Belgium's got new leaders, and some of them are insane enough to threaten making Belgium a caliphate. Meaning, going full ISIS and dipping in nitric acid anything non-Islamic that remains in Belgium. They're talking cleansing. Already.

A few weeks back, several other cathedrals became arson targets, but survived partially.

News hit me at 2 PM at work. France is five hours ahead. Which means, at 7 PM the "official" narrative wants us to believe Electrician Clouseau "dun goofed" and started the fire, and then fire trucks conveniently waited hours before responding, and now the roof that was on fire got no water and they let the mother-hee-haw burn.

Everything about this smells. I'd love to see a thorough investigation to rule out foul play - but let's be real. If they *do* find such evidence, that investigator will be found with his head missing.

The Crusades were officially for nothing. The Library of Alexandria burning down and destroying modern knowledge of countless insights into the ancient world? Taught us nothing.

We're so afraid of "offending" anyone, and stepping on toes, that Nigeria continues to burn. Boko Haram still runs rampant, scoffing at the notion of justice for their crimes.

How is the Commonwealth of Britain reacting? By banning Tommy Robinson, because his words (of truth) are offensive to terrorists!

We have boneheads in Britain, fanatics in France, bastards in Belgium, germ-Infested in Germany, suckers in Sweden, saps in Spain, dumb-dumbs in Denmark, idiots in Ireland, cucks in Canada, knuckleheads in New Zealand, assholes in Australia, and AOC in America. Did I leave anything out?

So long, Europe. You had a good run. Had. Rest of the civilized world? Your turn is coming, if you don't become vigilant. You're as decadent as Pompeii. Don't think a metaphorical Vesuvius will show you any more mercy than the literal one did.

1|0
    0|0
    • When a French official went on Fox News and insinuated that the same band responsible for attempted arson in 2016 may have struck again, Shepherd Smith (who filters everything through his anti-Trump disposition) cut the official off abruptly. We could have a live video feed of the next bin-Laden taking responsibility for arson, and the MSM will still tell us it was "a coincidence" or "an accident" or a "lone wolf." Anything, to avoid the fact that a full-scale insurgency is likely.

• A tragedy for sure and I hear it collapsed. Like I always say to people... don't wait to go see something so beautiful... or it might not be there when you do.

2|3
    0|0
  • I think it's probably an act of terrorism but the police are refusing to call it such cause they don't want to encourage this kind of behaviour against other famous land marks in France. It's also possible they don't know who did it.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's sad. That building is centuries old, and one of a kind, so I guess a fire could start pretty easily. I'm hoping the fire was not deliberate, or if it is, I hope the media doesn't try to suppress any information.

2|1
    0|0
  • I heard that the exterior had remained mostly intact and the French government is looking to restore it as best they can so they will probably restore it but it won't look exactly the same.

Still it's a real historical and cultural tragedy. 800 years of French and Catholic history gone up in flames. I say this as a Christian

1|1
    0|0
  • It is heartbreaking. The cathedral is an icon of Western Civilization.

2|5
    0|0
    • Which is why I think that the fire was lit by Muslims.
      Muslims have been setting fire to churches all over Europe.

• they are destroying our white history

• I thought immediately of two words: arson, Muslims.

2|5
    0|0
  • I visited it often:
    it's ca850 yr old
    Victor Hugo described a fire in Notre Dame. www.euronews.com/.../victor-hugo-already-described-a-blaze-at-notre-dame-cathedral-in-his-1831-novel
    Let's arrest Victor Hugo!

1|0
    0|0
  • Im withholding any thoughts on it until they find out how it happened

2|1
    0|0
  • It's sad and it's a shame... I'm now imagining as someone who likes photography that maybe I'll never photograph that awesome structure

2|1
    0|0
  • It's sad... Hopefully there can be an honorable restoration using as many old parts as possible

1|3
    0|0
  • It's a tragedy. The fire was ruled as an accident, but the police has been questioning the workers there, that's what I've heard. I don't really know what to believe with all the conspiracies going around at the moment.

1|0
    0|0
  • It shows the death of Western Civilization and the European people.

Churches have been burning across Europe for years now while these Muslim neoBrits laugh.

It seems like people are only just now paying attention.

1|1
    0|0
    • It's hard to get people to pay attention to something that everyone who pays attention to gets character assassinated for

• It's pretty sad.

I thought it could have been fake news, but even Paris's state-media (France 24) admits it.
    https://www.france24.com/en/

Given the recent church-arson and/or -vandalism cases in France, I suspect it's arson, but I'll wait for the results of the police investigations.
    www.thesun.co.uk/.../
    www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800

1|1
    0|0
  • I am a Muslim and I am sad about this.
    A church is supposed to symbolise peace.
    It is a tragedy because it was 800 years old and most importantly it took 200 years to build. It was one of the most building.
    Whoever built this, his soul will not be happy.
    Even if they do rebuild it, but the memories are gone.
    It is really sad.
    And Easter is coming up.
    France has been through a lot, I mean they had a terrorist attack by a Libyan van driver on their National day and then they mourned for three days because 72 people died.
    This is not just an ordinary people, it is about culture, identity, religion, it was supposed to be a pride.
    Lots of tourists used to visit this place.
    France didn't deserve this.

1|0
    0|0
    • 7d

800 years of history got erased within minutes, it is like evil prevailing over good.

• 7d

those who are making fun of this tragedy are animals and their houses should be put on fire.

• The Muslim community in France better pray it wasn’t once of theirs that started the fire.

1|4
    1|2
  • It sucks but 80% of the art was saved but i think it was partly built up karma from all the messed up shite the church, has done in history

3|0
    0|0
  • 🤷 🤷

2|0
    0|0
  • So sad I'll never have gotten the chance to see it 😣. Really really gutted

2|0
    0|0
  • It sucks as it's historically significant, but I have no emotional bond to it so you can't really get more than that out of me

2|0
    0|0
  • It’s sad it happened
    I think everything will be damaged now and it was sad how some people video the fire.

2|0
    0|0
  • I'm just wondering who did it. I read earlier today that many Catholic buildings in France are victim to vandalism.

2|1
    0|0
  • What a shame for a significant cultural heritage site in France. Regardless of your religious affiliation, it is disappointing to hear about.

2|0
    0|0
  • Too much pressure things destroyed and there is no way of making an exact replica of those which is sad.

1|0
    0|0
  • For now, from what I've heard, it might be even worse, since the fire is spreading to one the 2 towers. It might collapse.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm just glad they saved all the art inside before the fire spread.

2|0
    0|0
  • I read somewhere it happened because of a dude smoking in there. Don't know if it's true 🤷‍♂️

2|0
    0|0
  • SO sad. The church was almost 1,000 years old and a cultural landmark.

1|0
    0|0
  • Welllll if you do some research you'll see that lot's of christian sites have been attacked recently, including arson. I don't know why I didn't hear about it until I looked into it, but that's what's up.

Any construction site is extremely careful about fire, eu regulations are insanely strict, and this fire occurred in the cool evening. Imagine how strict a regular construction site is, now imagine the site of a historical monument. To say this is negligence is really, really hard to believe. It's far more likely that this was another arsonist, just like these other 875 in the past year OH DON'T BELIEVE ME READ UP

www.thesun.co.uk/.../

1|0
    0|0
  • tragic day in history and questioning their fire safety system

1|0
    0|0
  • the wood of the roof was over 700 years old. its not a coincidence that it just happened

1|0
    0|0
  • It sucks because of the historical value but once church less is a good thing if you ask me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well that sucks.

1|0
    0|0
  • Only now hearing about it...

2|0
    0|0
  • Good riddance

2|0
    5|7
  • It's so sad.

2|1
    0|0
  • It's a tragedy for sure.

2|1
    0|0
  • My heart is so sad

2|1
    0|0
  • It's okay

2|0
    4|6
    • 7d

would you have said the same thing if it was your house burning. How unhumane can someone be? Imagine your family building a palace for 200 years and imagine if you saw your 800 year old house burning

• Quasi Modo?

1|0
    0|0
  • nothing really, shit happens

1|0
    0|0
  • 800 years of history just got erased

2|0
    0|0
  • I blame you

1|0
    0|0