What are you thoughts regarding pay gap/equal pay?

Real sweet and short cos i don't want no war or chaos since i'm not really the type that likes to debate too much.

Lets say i that work in the IT department, and Melissa, a woman, does Client service where she needs to answer calls, mean she must get the same salary as me? Because she's a woman, and that we work in the same company, and not because of our difference in ROLES within the company?

Or do you say that if Melissa were also in the IT department as me, then she should get the same pay regardless of her being a woman? because with this i agree 100%, not the above statement though.

1133

Most Helpful Girls

• I'm from the US, things might vary in other countries but this is how I see things:

There is no wage gap based on gender. It's illegal to pay a woman less than a man, provided they're in the same exact field, doing the same exact work. They should get equal pay in that case. If you're in different roles in the company, you're obviously going to earn different salaries since you have different work loads/task, and that's perfectly okay.

I suppose you could say there's an earnings gap which is where the thought of the wage gap originated from, but simply, a lot of women go into lesser paying jobs like teaching, whereas more men are going into engineering and whatnot. They're not earning less or more based on discrimination, but because of the career field they chose.

• 13 d ago

Exactly. If a woman is in the same field/sector/department as i am, then she should get the same amound. No debate, no arguing no nothing, she should get the same pay.

• 12 d ago

@Clo917 Apologies - I forgot about your request. Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry for this topic (the section that deals with explaining the problem):

en.wikipedia.org/.../Gender_pay_gap_in_the_United_States

It references several studies on the topic that control for a couple dozen different variables (i. e., they demonstrate that the problem still exists when you remove those issues from the equation, such as career choice, education, experience, industry, parental status, amount of hours worked per week/month/year, etc.)

• 11 d ago

@HungLikeAHorsefly Thank you for the link, I'll read up on it.

• If women choose to do the less paying jobs it's their own fault. However they should get the same amount of of money if they do the same job a men does. And I'm sure there is still a lot of discrimination towards women nowadays. But often it's just because men demand a raise much more often then women do. If an employer has two equally good employees, 1 male and 1 female, but only the male demands a raise, I wouldn't call it sexist if he doesn't offer the women the same raise. We need to demand more in order to get more.

• 13 d ago

100% agree. As i mentioned, if she is in IT department as i am, whether her is DATA analyst, and my role is Security and Cabling or whatever, then she should most definitely get the same salary.

But most of the times it is indeed the job one chooses. If you don't have a high education, if for whatever reason you couldn't get one, so you are only able to get minimum wage job.. then i'm sorry, its on you.

Most Helpful Guys

• Women don't go after the jobs that pay more and as a group they don't work as hard.

• 13 d ago

So would you say that the women that brag about this want special treatment? lol

• 13 d ago

I'd say the women that believe in this are being manipulated by some very bad people with a very dark agenda.

• You know the real pay gap? It's between top executives and the working class