What are you thoughts regarding pay gap/equal pay?

Real sweet and short cos i don't want no war or chaos since i'm not really the type that likes to debate too much.

Lets say i that work in the IT department, and Melissa, a woman, does Client service where she needs to answer calls, mean she must get the same salary as me? Because she's a woman, and that we work in the same company, and not because of our difference in ROLES within the company?

Or do you say that if Melissa were also in the IT department as me, then she should get the same pay regardless of her being a woman? because with this i agree 100%, not the above statement though.

What are you thoughts regarding pay gap/equal pay?

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I'm from the US, things might vary in other countries but this is how I see things:

There is no wage gap based on gender. It's illegal to pay a woman less than a man, provided they're in the same exact field, doing the same exact work. They should get equal pay in that case. If you're in different roles in the company, you're obviously going to earn different salaries since you have different work loads/task, and that's perfectly okay.

I suppose you could say there's an earnings gap which is where the thought of the wage gap originated from, but simply, a lot of women go into lesser paying jobs like teaching, whereas more men are going into engineering and whatnot. They're not earning less or more based on discrimination, but because of the career field they chose.

2|12
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

Exactly. If a woman is in the same field/sector/department as i am, then she should get the same amound. No debate, no arguing no nothing, she should get the same pay.

• Show All
    • 12 d ago

@Clo917 Apologies - I forgot about your request. Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry for this topic (the section that deals with explaining the problem):

en.wikipedia.org/.../Gender_pay_gap_in_the_United_States

It references several studies on the topic that control for a couple dozen different variables (i. e., they demonstrate that the problem still exists when you remove those issues from the equation, such as career choice, education, experience, industry, parental status, amount of hours worked per week/month/year, etc.)

• 11 d ago

@HungLikeAHorsefly Thank you for the link, I'll read up on it.

• If women choose to do the less paying jobs it's their own fault. However they should get the same amount of of money if they do the same job a men does. And I'm sure there is still a lot of discrimination towards women nowadays. But often it's just because men demand a raise much more often then women do. If an employer has two equally good employees, 1 male and 1 female, but only the male demands a raise, I wouldn't call it sexist if he doesn't offer the women the same raise. We need to demand more in order to get more.

0|4
    0|1
    • 13 d ago

100% agree. As i mentioned, if she is in IT department as i am, whether her is DATA analyst, and my role is Security and Cabling or whatever, then she should most definitely get the same salary.

But most of the times it is indeed the job one chooses. If you don't have a high education, if for whatever reason you couldn't get one, so you are only able to get minimum wage job.. then i'm sorry, its on you.

Most Helpful Guys

• Women don't go after the jobs that pay more and as a group they don't work as hard.

0|1
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

So would you say that the women that brag about this want special treatment? lol

• 13 d ago

I'd say the women that believe in this are being manipulated by some very bad people with a very dark agenda.

• You know the real pay gap? It's between top executives and the working class

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• The wage gap is simply based on averages and doesn't take into account a number of factors

1|1
    0|0
  • If I remember correctly, the pay gap is based on a study where they simply collected data (black women earn x amount, latino men earn x amount) and then compared it. It’s not based on there actually being a difference in pay for women/men of different colours doing the same job.

1|3
    0|0
  • There exists an earnings gap between blondes and brunettes. There's likely one between tall and short people. There's one between Nigerian immigrants and African-Americans (Nigerian immigrants earn even more than whites). There's one between Indo-Americans and whites (Indo-Americans earn substantially more).

These things are not supposed to come out perfectly even. That would be highly coincidental, and those who look at all but perfectly equal representations as predominantly explained by oppression/discrimination might be missing the most important aspects that could make a real difference in the lives of those who struggle.

For example, if we assumed that discrimination could sufficiently explain such disparities, we should expect Jews to be towards the bottom of the economic ladder given a history of antisemitism. Instead, they're at the top as the wealthiest religious group, by far, with Jehovah's Witnesses being at the bottom. It's not difficult to understand why if we stop looking at discrimination to explain everything; Jews have the highest educational attainment of any religious group while Jehovah's Witnesses are largely forbidden by their religion from pursuing higher education.

If we looked at skin color bias as a sufficient explanation for discrepancies, it makes no sense why Nigerian immigrants would earn more than both whites and African-Americans, or why dark-skinned Indo-Americans outperform not only whites but are often the most wealthy ethnic group in various states. Things start to make a whole lot more sense when we stop looking at discrimination and start looking at how Nigerian immigrants have higher educational attainment along with Indo-Americans who dominate STEM.

That's not to deny the existence of discrimination; it absolutely exists. Yet I would propose that it's not sufficient whatsoever to explain these gaps. Furthermore, about the worst thing I think we could do to a bright minority youth who is no stranger to such discrimination is to start implanting the idea that they are hopelessly oppressed by male privilege, or white privilege, or something to this effect, and potentially shatter whatever hope, determination, and accountability they might have otherwise had to succeed as underdogs and pioneers in society.

To succeed as underdogs and pioneers require more of those qualities than usual. They have to really believe that they can succeed and overcome whatever unique obstacles are in their way. Trying to make it sound as though discrimination places impassable obstacles to minorities in developed, free nations is not a very effective way of promoting such qualities in those that need it most.

0|1
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

Apologies for the length; short and sweet is difficult for me with such complex and controversial topics. I did try to summarize as best I could! :-D

• The pay gap doesn't consider the fact that women often do lower paying jobs and work less hours. There are laws preventing men and women who do the exact same job to be paid differently. Most companies aren't going to risk a lawsuit that's going to make them pay up more than they would have had to if they just gave equal pay to begin with.

1|7
    0|0
  • It's just girls wanting free money for not working or taking risks. You can go in and ask for a raise at any time. If you’re worth while they’ll probably give you what you want within reason. Even if they won’t at first, they might if you have a better offer because it’s hard to find good help and to retrain new guys. But you have to be willing to risk losing your job where you currently are to pursue a new job somewhere else which might put you with a worse team, doing less enjoyable work, at a company that might have financial problems next quarter and cancel your project or whatever. Girls tend to not want to work their ass off to be noticed, they don’t want to take responsibility for large projects and put their name on the line, they don’t want to play politics, they don’t want to aggressively seek what the think they are worth, risk losing their job, or work their ass off to prepare for rounds of interviews and pick up a new job at a new company with new procedures on their vacation time. They’d rather create a religion and then try to get the government to give them free money rather than work for it.

0|1
    0|0
  • The claimed pay gap is a proveable lie.
    The USA has had equal pay legislation since 1963.
    Women earn less, on average, because they choose areas of work that are paid less, they work fewer hours and they take time off to have babies.
    In areas in which men and women do the same job they are paid the same hourly rate, by law.

0|1
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

So these type of women fighting for (equal pay) just want special treatment then

• Pay should be appropriate to the work done, and the time spent doing that work.

The gender pay gap should be measured off the same occupation. Typically though, this doesn't help the feminist victimhood mentality.

Men and Women in the same job get the same money if they do the same hours and produce the same work output.

The pay gap does exist, but not because of gender. Typically over a lifetime, men work longer hours, and work more.

0|1
    0|0
  • Just look at properly executed statically studies. The evidence points toward there being no pay gap. If you dm me I can send you links to the actual papers. If anything the numbers suggest women are paid more for the same work when first starting a position. Even this is relatively insignificant though.

0|1
    0|0
  • I believe in equal pay. But at the same time I look at the factors such as experience, and status such as CEO or Executive. If a male for example is has been a doctor for 10 year and get paid more than the female who been working there for 3 years thats different. However if both have been working there for the same amount of years and have the same status, both should get equal pay.

0|1
    0|0
  • I agree with you. That's what the Equal Pay Act says.

0|1
    0|0
    • 11 d ago

There was a law professor at Harvard in the Fifties who became famous for suggesting that Harvard should pay professors and maintenance people equal pay. He also said that women were "not constitutionally suited to the rigors of the legal profession."

• 11 d ago

Thank you. I feel like there is just a lot of confusing when it comes to this. I've also noticed that its usually the women that have low paying jobs be the ones that complain about this, whereas not so women that are in stem fields and such... or am i the only one noticing that lol

• 11 d ago

I think so. It doesn't occur that often in law either, at least among the big firms.

• Depends, I think people should just be played based off the quality or quality of their labour, any other basis is bound to be prejudice one way or another

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd say that any real gender discrimination in pay is illegal, what people forget is it's not based on gender it's based on experience, hours worked, if you have had raises or not, what you personally can do that others can't etc.

0|4
    0|0
  • Women in their 20's out earn men in their 20's actually.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think people should be paid based on their profession, experience, and other factors that are involved in deciding on someone's wage.

However, it is true (according to CBS in the Netherlands at the very least) that there are in fact some statistically significant differences between men and women (though, the magnitude depends on the context such as sector, age etcetera) that remain to exist after controlling for many factors. As for whether that's caused by sexism, dunno.

0|0
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

I'm sure it happens. But what i want to know is if its is done to one that works in the same, as you said, sector, or not. But whatever i guess. I'm surprised i didn't get any responses yet, from women. But i know why lol

• Not the same work obligations, so not the same salary.

1|2
    0|0
  • Your pay is whatever you can negotiate. This isn't just about gender. It's about how well you sell yourself, how well you know the going rate, and how well you negotiate.

Two men with the same job, similar experience, and sitting next to each other, can have very different salaries. One can literally be making twice as much as the other. Or even three times as much.

This is one reason why you should try hard to look for a new job while you are still working. If you wait until you are out of work, it puts you in a bad position to negotiate.

0|1
    0|0
  • There is a pay disparity in some areas that need to be addressed but The real problem is they do stock buybacks to help greedy billionaires eat up more money and then claim they can’t pay their workers

0|1
    0|0
  • Whoever can do the job better deserves the higher pay.

1|0
    0|0
  • if you want a higher salary, take a negotiation course and make sure you're competent in your field. having a pussy doesn't mean you earn less. being a pussy does.

0|1
    0|0
    • 11 d ago

you and your work are a product. if you don't sell it, you won't get paid. that's how the world works. no point in getting all entiteled about it xD

• There's no such thing as a pay gap. If women make less, it's because they don't work as many hours or because they made poor life choices as far as career

0|1
    0|0
  • I pay it NO mind at all.
    I know there are LOTS of variables that account for it.
    Many include what type of job/career the person has, do you own the company or are you an underling, what education you have, how long on the job, how many hours are you willing to work, will you be willing to travel for work... etc.

When there are many, many more men that are engineers, scientists, mathematicians, computer designers/programmers... etc. When most of the daycare and elementary teachers are women... I see that the fields men and women enter often varies greatly... why in the hell would the salaries end up exactly the same?

Anyone who looks at nothing other than average salary of all men on earth or in a particular country and the average salary of all women and upon seeing that the numbers aren't exactly 50/50 and immediately DEFAULTS to some worldwide... country wide conspiracy to pay men more I consider naïve and EXTREMELY SIMPLE.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well, there is a demonstrable wage gap between men and women. Yes, it's illegal to discriminate between the two with pay, yet we know for a fact that it still happens. Women working in the same job with the same education, experience, skills, and about 20 other variables still make less than men when considered in aggregate. Not nearly as much less as a lot of Feminist groups like to claim, mind you - not 30% less. It's more like 5% less.

There are about a dozen well known studies on this topic, but we still don't exactly know why. It could be sexism. Like it or not, that's never going to go away. But it probably isn't solely that. There are other reasons and we don't know what those reasons are. And no, it isn't because women work less or choose different types of jobs or whatever. Again, we're talking about the same jobs at the same places as men.

0|1
    0|0
    • 13 d ago

One idea of what it might be is that women tend to not negotiate as much as men do and aren't as successful when they do negotiate. However, I'm not aware of any empirical data on this so at this point it's just conjecture.

• The pay gap is real. Africans should earn as much as Europeans.

0|1
    0|0
  • Isn't there a bunch of statistics that say that in general women work less than men and therefore get payed less

0|1
    0|0
  • The gender pay gap has been debunked multiple times.

0|1
    0|0
  • 3% pay gap accounting for EVERYTHING here in Sweden. Well that was 2017..

0|1
    0|0
  • pay gap would have been really unfair if it were real

0|1
    0|0
  • Very simple. You do the same job... you get the same pay

0|1
    0|0
  • I think if you do the same job then you should get the same pay

0|1
    0|0
  • Well if she does same job and same hours yes otherwise no

0|1
    0|0
  • Pay gap is a myth, it would be illegal in most places.
    Women and men get paid the same amount for the same work done, taken that both have been working for an equal amount of time.

Men, in general/overall, earn more because men ask raises more often, work overtime more often, take less leaves, aim for high paid jobs more often, etc.

It's how it should be, it's a natural thing. Women take motherly leaves, which is a respectable thing.
    These women, who moan and bitch about inequal pay just want special treatment.

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s my money and I want it now!

0|1
    0|1
  • Same money for the same job

0|1
    0|0
  • It's a shame the myth is perpetuated

0|1
    0|0
  • It doesn't exist

0|1
    0|0
  • There is no pay gap

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s exists because of choices and you don’t get to mandate to force people to into living the way you demand them to.

0|1
    0|0
  • Men want to control women, so, they try and keep them down, that's what men WANT

Luckily, I'm not a republicuck, like most MEN are

0|0
    0|1
  • Pay gap is a myth, men make more money than women not because their is a pay gap, because their is a work gap in which men work more hours and work higher position/paying jobs.

0|1
    0|0
  • No I don’t think she should get the same amount as you if she’s barely coming into IT at your business. If you have 10 years of service w the company, worked your way up as far as raises then she comes in demanding the same amount you make after it’s taken you 10 years to get there, that’s not fair. Now she has the potential to earn the same amount as you if she stays there for 10 years, even more if she stays there longer. It’s an incentive to keep people w the company. Military does the same thing, an E1 w less than a years service gets X amount of money. An E1 w more years of service makes a little more. Same concept. Not because of their genders. There should be a set base that everyone starts out at, then w time, experience, annual reviews your pay increases.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes