Why do male feminists have a hard time understanding why most people mock them?

A significant minority of guys consider themselves feminists. Even if they won't cop to being feminists, they vehemently oppose anyone who denounces feminism, which pretty blatantly outs them. Most of these guys seem genuinely oblivious of the fact that they're mocked by basically everyone. Women and feminists question their motives, and men question their basic intelligence for supporting overwrought victimhood activists who consider men their natural enemies, for being the equivalent of black men defending the Klan.

My theory is that male feminists are basically trying to virtue-signal their way into appearing superior. They think supporting feminism paints them as members of the private-school "elite" that equates self-flagellation with enlightenment and power, given that the powerful can denigrate themselves openly with the knowledge that their status will protect them from any negative future consequences.

111