With Alabama's new abortion law, do you think this is setting up a possible overturning of Roe V. Wade?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• That is literally the whole point, granted this by itself is just the framework and will most likely not do it but just provide ammo for the next actual attempt.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• In a response, you said: "Science has shown life begins around 6 weeks when the heartbeat starts."

What makes you think that? Why don't you think it starts at conception? Or when there is a central nervous system?

0|0
    0|0
    • 6 d ago

A better question is: what science? Show us.

• Show All
    • 5 d ago

I am aware of that, zygote, embryo, fetus, (birth - the one obvious state change, but even that isn't instantaneous), baby. Here's a picture!

With Alabama's new abortion law, do you think this is setting up a possible overturning of Roe V. Wade?

You didn't answer my question about why you think life begins at the point you said. Let alone answer @HungLikeAHorsefly's question of what science supports your assertion.

• 5 d ago

OP: thanks for the link. Also, let me clarify: the fact that the heartbeat starts at about six weeks is what we call "trivially true" in science. That is, it's well known and not terribly difficult to figure out empirically so we don't bother trying to prove it each time we mention it.

So, my question wasn't about when the heartbeat starts. It's irrelevant, I don't really care and I can easily figure that out on my own. My question, asking you to provide evidence, is around your claim that science has shown "life begins".

It's already alive. It's a clump of living human cells, after all. That I *think* you're implying here is that it becomes a person when it has a heartbeat. Is that correct? If so, I challenge you to find a piece - any piece - of scientific literature that states it becomes a person when it develops a heartbeat. I'm confident you won't find anything like that in any respectable scientific journal.

• Nope, it’s just a political move. The lower courts will overturn it.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7 d ago

Probably, but the state can appeal it up to the Supreme court

• Show All
    • 7 d ago

Had Hillary won, I would have expected legislation overturning the 2nd amendment by this point by the way.

• 7 d ago

She would have tried, probably wouldn't have succeeded because of needing a 3/4 majority vote to make or overturn a constitutional amendment.

• It's unlikely. I'm sure most of the these states' recent laws will be overturned eventually.

0|0
    0|0
  • In their dreams.

0|0
    0|0
  • The courts will rule it as unconstitutional

0|0
    0|0
    • 7 d ago

Under which amendment?

The 14th amendment is the only one that could be argued and wouldn't work with it saying "nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." Science has shown life begins around 6 weeks when the heartbeat starts. Since Alabama's law or other abortion laws don't deprive a person of life, liberty or property it would be a very difficult argument for it to be seen as unconstitutional.

• Show All
    • 5 d ago

That's true, if they respect tradition and the rule of law and act non-politically.

You might be screwed.

• 5 d ago

@BornFree Do you know the legal grounds used in Roe V. Wade?

Recommended myTakes