Should it be legal for men to get an abortion?

Okay, before you go "WTF?", let me explain.
Many men don't understand the point of abortion rights. Similarly, many women don't seem to get the struggles men have. To this end, I propose "The Male's Abortion".

Laws against abortion are arguably unjust. A pregnancy is draining on a woman, enslaves her body to a fetus, an undesired child results in higher rates of criminals (as their parents are less likely to care about raising them right), and it often ruins a person still trying to get their life together. And outlawing abortion means the woman is enslaved to a single moment, conception, not allowed to change her mind when there is more time to think about things and it's not the heat of the moment.

Now enter guys... A pregnancy can be draining on them financially, and enslaves his income to a fetus, an undesired child results in higher rates of criminals (as their parents are less likely to care about raising them right), and it often ruins a person still trying to get their life together. And forcing a potential father into lifelong child payments or into an undesired relationship means the man is enslaved to a single moment, conception, not allowed to change his mind when there is more time to think about things and it's not the heat of the moment.

So I propose the male abortion (or for the sake of gender equality, a lesbian woman should be allowed to do it as well). It happens after conception, and before a child is born. He can pay the woman the state's average cost for an abortion. If he does so, he has no parental responsibilities, and will not have to make childcare payments if she chooses to go through with it... after all, continuing to go through with it when she had the money in hand to change that, and he had already expressed his desire to not have it is her choice.

And we tie the legality of male abortion to the legality of female abortion. If women get it, men get it too. If women can't have it, men can't have it either.
  • Yes
  • No
  • Men and women shouldn't have equal rights.
    Vote C

49

Most Helpful Guy

• This is called a paper or financial abortion. I actually like the idea a lot. In circumstances where the dude doesn't want the baby, but the woman wants to keep it, he doesn't really have much recourse. I don't think a he should be forced to be responsible for an unwanted pregnancy any more than she should.

I do think, rather than just paying the cost of the would-be abortion, he should have to pay at least half of the medical bills resulting from having the baby. Maybe the former could be a down-payment to the latter, in case she changes her mind.

If I had anything to say against the idea, I'd say it'd make me a little uncomfortable to put a kid at a disadvantage like that. Like, if he goes through with it, the kid was probably not going to have an idyllic, two parent home-life anyway, but being supported by a single mom with no child-support sounds rough.

Even with that, I think it should still be an option, and if the mother doesn't want to bear the cost of raising the kid alone, she should just go get the regular abortion.

• 5 d ago

Or just let him terminate his rights while she is pregnant? Then whatever she does is on her. He is not responsible for her financially or otherwise.

• 5 d ago

@justsomeperson2u I mean... they made the baby together. Whether she's paying for an abortion, or the hospital care it takes to actually have a baby, she's wracking up medical bills that he is partially responsible for. It doesn't seem right to me for him to be able to sign away his rights, and not even have to clean up his half of the mess.

I dunno, it'd be a similar circumstance to injuring someone in a non-malicious way, like a car accident or something similar, and being expected to pay their medical bills for the damage you cause.

• 4 d ago

In most states pregnant women qualify for state insurance which covers all the medical costs of pregnancy. In a few, like oregon, abortion is also covered by state insurance. Just because a woman gets pregnant doesn't entitle her to a mans money.