Should it be legal for men to get an abortion?

Okay, before you go "WTF?", let me explain.
Many men don't understand the point of abortion rights. Similarly, many women don't seem to get the struggles men have. To this end, I propose "The Male's Abortion".

Laws against abortion are arguably unjust. A pregnancy is draining on a woman, enslaves her body to a fetus, an undesired child results in higher rates of criminals (as their parents are less likely to care about raising them right), and it often ruins a person still trying to get their life together. And outlawing abortion means the woman is enslaved to a single moment, conception, not allowed to change her mind when there is more time to think about things and it's not the heat of the moment.

Now enter guys... A pregnancy can be draining on them financially, and enslaves his income to a fetus, an undesired child results in higher rates of criminals (as their parents are less likely to care about raising them right), and it often ruins a person still trying to get their life together. And forcing a potential father into lifelong child payments or into an undesired relationship means the man is enslaved to a single moment, conception, not allowed to change his mind when there is more time to think about things and it's not the heat of the moment.

So I propose the male abortion (or for the sake of gender equality, a lesbian woman should be allowed to do it as well). It happens after conception, and before a child is born. He can pay the woman the state's average cost for an abortion. If he does so, he has no parental responsibilities, and will not have to make childcare payments if she chooses to go through with it... after all, continuing to go through with it when she had the money in hand to change that, and he had already expressed his desire to not have it is her choice.

And we tie the legality of male abortion to the legality of female abortion. If women get it, men get it too. If women can't have it, men can't have it either.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Men and women shouldn't have equal rights.
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• This is called a paper or financial abortion. I actually like the idea a lot. In circumstances where the dude doesn't want the baby, but the woman wants to keep it, he doesn't really have much recourse. I don't think a he should be forced to be responsible for an unwanted pregnancy any more than she should.

I do think, rather than just paying the cost of the would-be abortion, he should have to pay at least half of the medical bills resulting from having the baby. Maybe the former could be a down-payment to the latter, in case she changes her mind.

If I had anything to say against the idea, I'd say it'd make me a little uncomfortable to put a kid at a disadvantage like that. Like, if he goes through with it, the kid was probably not going to have an idyllic, two parent home-life anyway, but being supported by a single mom with no child-support sounds rough.

Even with that, I think it should still be an option, and if the mother doesn't want to bear the cost of raising the kid alone, she should just go get the regular abortion.

0|1
    0|0
    • 5 d ago

Or just let him terminate his rights while she is pregnant? Then whatever she does is on her. He is not responsible for her financially or otherwise.

• 5 d ago

@justsomeperson2u I mean... they made the baby together. Whether she's paying for an abortion, or the hospital care it takes to actually have a baby, she's wracking up medical bills that he is partially responsible for. It doesn't seem right to me for him to be able to sign away his rights, and not even have to clean up his half of the mess.

I dunno, it'd be a similar circumstance to injuring someone in a non-malicious way, like a car accident or something similar, and being expected to pay their medical bills for the damage you cause.

• 4 d ago

In most states pregnant women qualify for state insurance which covers all the medical costs of pregnancy. In a few, like oregon, abortion is also covered by state insurance. Just because a woman gets pregnant doesn't entitle her to a mans money.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Lol no. If they want to get an abortion they can get pregnant themselves and do it. Men can't get pregnant? Then too fucking bad. Not your body? Not your choice. Man up

1|0
    0|1
  • I have not heard a single good argument as to why. Women have the right to an abortion for the simple reason that every human being has a right to their own body. This means it makes absolutely no sense that a man can "abort" a child that is in another body since that does not rely on the same human rights.

Beyond that when the child is born it also has the right to a proper upbringing which means neither parent can just selfishly leave it at that point.

Because of this at the point of pregnancy only the mother has a choice because that is the only thing that actually makes sense and when the child is born neither parent has. This is entirely consistent with equality between men and women.

1|0
    0|1
    • 6 d ago

Except it's his body that will be forced to go through extra physical labor in order to provide child support or support for the child.

• Show All
    • 3 d ago

See that link father murdered 2 yr old to avoid child support

• 3 d ago

That is not how you establish a causal link more more of cherry picking or Anecdotal evidence.

• There is an argument to say that the man should be consulted regarding abortion and /or support.
    But should a woman be forced (financially or otherwise) to have an abortion?
    And should the child face financial hardship because its parents can't agree?

0|0
    0|0
    • 5 d ago

Just let the man term is rights while she is still pregnant. If she can't afford the baby alone either abort or give up for adoption

• 5 d ago

Since when has a pregnant woman made logical and measured decisions?

• 5 d ago

Her being hormonal doesn't mean that men shouldn't be allowed to give up their rights. The woman has no right to his money if he doesn't want the child

• Makes sense. Guys should have the right to back off. I mean if girls are given the right to abort then guys should at least be given rights to (forgive me for saying this) have nothing to do with it.

0|1
    0|0
    • 5 d ago

It should be free and easy for men to terminate their rights to an unwanted child at any point starting when they find out she is pregnant

• 5 d ago

True

• Abortion shouldn't be available, if both parents agree they can give the baby up for adoption or if one wants the child and the other doesn't one can sign away their rights.

0|0
    1|0
    • 4 d ago

Forcing someone to give birth against their will is awful and increases the risk of depression which leads to an increased risk of suicide.

• Show All
    • 3 d ago

I'm not saying pregnancy doesn't have negative consequences especially for those who didn't want to be pregnant but +99% she could have avoided it.

• 3 d ago

Depression and such are most common after an abortion in the areas where women seeking one have forced "education", force women to look at ultrasounds of the fetus while explaining its development to her, and then making her wait 3 days and sign a form saying she understands all of that. When you then call her a murderer after all that of course she'll be depressed. That isn't even considering you still have the pregnancy hormones for a few days after the abortion. Post partum depression is more common where I'm at than post abortion depression.

• I guess yes.
    The baby simply belongs to women alone...

0|0
    0|0
  • It's your seed, your choice. It only makes sense.

#MySeedMyChoice

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m for it if done right and ethically

1|1
    0|0
  • That works for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • i've gotten 5 abortions. i have a massive vagina

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes, abortion is beautiful and should be embraced by all.
    Condoms are too expensive.

0|0
    1|1
  • If you're willingly having sex, you're both consenting to the risk of pregnancy happening, and you're both responsible for the child. So no, I don't think it should be legal for either the man or woman to opt out.

0|0
    1|1

Recommended myTakes