Is the term "troll" mainly used (especially within the media) to dismiss differing opinions without the need for debate or discussion?

Cammy137 s
One thing that I've noticed within GaG but also within the MSM (mainstream media) is that the term "troll" is often used in place of any sort of argument or debate. Allow me to give you an example: Batwoman.

The trailer for the 'Batwoman' TV series that's coming out later this year currently has 81K upvotes compared to its 404K downvotes on YouTube. If you search for information on the backlash via Google, you get articles titled: "Ruby Rose’s ‘Batwoman’ Trailer Comment Bombed By YouTube Trolls".

Many articles blame the negative response on the fact that 'Batwoman' is based on a lesbian character, and not on the fact that the show 1. Doesn't look entertaining, and 2. Is definitely pushing an agenda.

We've also seen this before with 'Captain Marvel', 'Ghostbusters', 'The Last Jedi', and others. Much like when 'Ocean's 8' blamed "white critics" for its negative criticism. Whenever a movie or TV show takes a different stance, it blames "trolls" for the backlash, rather than the poor writing, the agenda-pushing, or any other number of problems that the movie may have.

I'm not saying that trolls don't exist or that they don't play a role in these examples, but do you think that labelling everyone who disagrees a "troll" is simply a way of avoiding have any discussion or debate with those who hold different views?

Have you encountered such people on GaG?

#Trolls #Movies
I agree and I've encountered such people on GaG
I agree but I haven't encountered such people on GaG
I disagree but I have encountered people on Gag who throw the term around
Vote C
I disagree and I haven't encountered such people on GaG
Vote D
Other (explain)
Vote E
GirlGuy
10
33