What do you use for pest control?

Anonymous
On my trip to the ranch, there was a trap that caught a raccoon, and he's given points for killing them, so we went back to the garage to get a gun to get the job done. I thought about getting a 12 gauge or my 7.62×39 or 5.56×45, but he told me his 10/22 to the head will do it, so I grabbed it. On our way back to the trap I tried to convince him to show me how to process it so it wouldn't go to waste, but he refused and said it's best to toss it over the fence and leave it for the coyotes. I decided to do it, seeing as how I felt a bit more concerned about ensuring a quick, painless death than he was. I fired a round into it's head at point blank range, but it didn't die, I panicked and fired the rest of the 10 round magazine into it's head, but it still struggled for another 30 seconds before dying. Despite the fact that I like to hunt, I felt horrible about how long it took to die and that it's meat might've went to waste. He tried to reassure me that it wasn't my fault as I fired 10 rounds at point blank range into it's head and he should've suggested a 12 gauge, instead, but I still feel terrible about it. Unless I'm in a life for death situation, I won't be using. 22lr for anything other than target shooting now. We went rabbit hunting later and I made the right choice by reaching for his 12 gauge dove over under shotgun and they went immediately and we got lots of meat. What do you use for pest control?
Add Opinion