Does someone who can say I would like to speak to someone in Spanish in perfect English no accent really need a translator?

sejla
What happened was I was in a medical surgery center paying a bill. There was a man who was going to have a minor surgery. He had a young woman there to help translate for him but while the young woman did speak Spanish he was having a hard time understanding. Maybe she was second generation. When the man asked for someone to translate for him he spoke perfect English with no accent. The staff needed to have specifics about falling for the post op part.

Is it possible to speak it but not comprehend it?

I mean I guess we do the same thing in the U. S. when we learn another language. We might be able to speak Spanish and eventually do it with the proper inflections. I just had never heard someone sound so fluent in English ask for a translator. A man sitting next to me ended up volunteering to translate. Sadly I had over 5 years of Spanish but I was too shy to use it so I lost quite a bit. Occassionally I'll be understand parts of conversation. I've shocked a few people answering back in English when they've spoken to me in Spanish. One time I spoke enough Spanish that the two ladies I was trying to speak with sped up and I had to find someone who really spoke Spanish.
3
0