US diplomat's wife causes a fatal collision, and then leaves the UK, citing diplomatic immunity - what are your thoughts on diplomatic immunity?

US diplomat's wife causes a fatal collision, and then leaves the UK, citing diplomatic immunity - what are your thoughts on diplomatic immunity?
Is it in the public interest not to prosecute her?

Diplomatic immunity is a form of legal immunity that ensures that diplomats are given safe passage, and are considered not susceptible to lawsuit or prosecution, under the host country's laws.

It is possible for the official's home country to waive immunity; this tends to happen only when the individual has committed a serious crime, unconnected with their diplomatic role (as opposed to, say, allegations of spying), or has witnessed such a crime.

However, many countries refuse to waive immunity as a matter of course; individuals have no authority to waive their own immunity (except perhaps in cases of defection). Alternatively, the home country may prosecute the individual.

If immunity is waived by a government so that a diplomat (or their family members) can be prosecuted, it must be because there is a case to answer and it is in the public interest to prosecute them.
This is what diplomatic immunity is for.
Vote A
This is an abuse of diplomatic immunity.
Vote B
I don't know.
Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
GirlGuy
Updates:
15 d
Just for the record, it is beginning to appear that the woman in question was given advice to leave the country by a US embassy official.

If you'd just inadvertently taken somebody's life, and your husband's employer gave you that advice, I can understand that her state of mind might not have been one to argue. If this does indeed turn out to be the case, I really do feel that the person who gave her this advice is in no small part responsible for the situation in which she's found herself...
Add Opinion