Is It Racist To Assume Something About A Person Based On Something Many People In Their Race Do?

SpiderManFan2002
I'll give an example.

I am aware that many possibly more than half, British Pakistanis partake in cousin marriage. This isn't certain, but many people say 55% of British Pakistanis partake in cousin marriage. If that figure is true, it means 45% of us don't.

Now somebody asked me if my parents are cousins because I am British Pakistani. My parents aren't cousins, I found that pretty racist, because they made the assumption based off of me being Pakistani. I'd put it under racial stereotyping. Because it is a stereotype that "Pakistanis marry their cousins" because a large percentage of us don't, and for those who say it is apart of our culture- firstly, not all British Pakistani culture is the same.

Now you can easily say "If that figure is true 55% are a majority so most do" yes, but most doesn't mean all. You can't paint us all with the same brush, because we're not all the same.

If I assumed an USA person was obese because the obesity rate in the USA is high, then I think that would be racist because while a lot of people in the USA are obese, there will be a lot who also aren't so it isn't fair that I stereotype those healthy people based on a proportion of unhealthy people based on where they are from or their ethnic background.

What do you think?
I agree with you
I disagree with you
I'm undecided
Vote C
I partially agree/disagree
Vote D
GirlGuy
16
6