Should school nurses carry Narcan?

Naloxone (Narcan) treats and reverses the effects of opioid overdoses. Nurses in my local school district have stated they are not comfortable carrying it. They think it would encourage more kids to do drugs and enforces the idea that there are no consequences for drug use. They have stated, “we don’t want to contribute to the false sense of security that there is a rescue medication for drug experimentation.”
Opioids are substances that act on opioid receptors to produce morphine-like effects.
I think school nurses should have it.
1. We know that there is currently an opioid epidemic in the U. S. and we know that kids are getting their hands on them so why wouldn't schools want to be proactive?
2. Just because doing drugs is stupid doesn't mean the consequence of that should be death.
3. Despite those who think they are attentive, SO MANY parents still have no idea about everything their kid may be doing. You can tell your kids not to do drugs all day long but all it takes is a moment of curiosity, peer pressure, or one time experimenting and they could wind up in an overdose situation. If it was your kid, would you want people saying "oh well, choices have consequences" or would you want someone to save their life?

As much as I disagree with doing drugs, I could NEVER turn my back on someone experiencing an overdose if I had the ability to help. We can't pretend that these drugs are not already in our schools so the responsible thing to do is to have naloxone on hand IN ADDITION to spreading community awareness and focusing on prevention.

What do you think?
Yes, Narcan should be available at schools.
No, Narcan should not be in school nursing offices.
Other/See Results
Vote C
GirlGuy
Should school nurses carry Narcan?
22
5