Reflecting on my own life experiences, I'm wondering why are men pressured to be "overly masculine" or "emotionless?" What are your thoughts?

I_Am_Sazerac
I apologize for the story but i just read a post on here that talked about if seeing men cry was considered a weakness. It triggered a massive issue that I've been fighting with a lot recently and got me thinking...

My parents are by no means bad people, they had their own issues growing up that made them set in their ways for a while. I was started out being raised being told males aren't supposed to cry or show certain emotions; and that we were essentially the ones that had to do the work in everything and that pretty much the responsibility of the world was on our shoulders. I dont think anyone has ANY idea how stressful that was. Perhaps not as bad as some people have had it but still taxing nevertheless.

Practically anything I did was scrutinized far more than the actions of my sister. Dont get me wrong she got the whole shabang of what a woman was supposed to be, but she was older, and I was younger & the one being scrutinized more because I was the boy.

Later as I grew up more, my parents suddenly decided that that sort of teaching was wrong and did a complete 180. That screwed me up in so many ways because they were still caught in trying to be "new age" but couldnt decide if they were fully out of the past mentality or not. That plagued me all throughout high school. If i cried, they'd act all understanding and compassionate and then the next moment they were upset that i was crying and it felt like it was back to square one.

As I finally got to college, I had to figure it all out on my own. And this I came up with:

We're just people... sure we think different and we have different anatomy, but we feel too. and we have emotions. They are a source of strength if you learn to use them properly, and that applies to all humans. Mine were initially repressed because I had to "act a certain way" and take on responsibility for everything only to be told that wasn't the case years later, and even then my parents STILL couldnt figure out what era to belong to...
+1 y
It just bothers me because in some small way, I'm still trying to figure things out because I'm seeing this STILL in other people all over. The fact America has such a problem with being oversensitive and insecure in masculinity. Masculinity has far more to it then competition and trying to "act tough and strong."
+1 y
To the user called Alkhalid, your troll in my private message about this questoon was unsuccessful. If you dont like what I have to say then dont read it. But sending me insults over pm is petty and childish. So go ahead and keep me blocked because you're not worth the time and effort.
2
2