My Father’s Military: Children of Ex-Military. How do you Cope?

Internarchitect
I didn’t realize it until recently, that I have always been in the military. No, not the Armed Forces, nothing so glamorous. Yet, I have been in my Father’s Military since the day I was born. I didn’t volunteer, I wasn’t drafted. Frankly, I was conscripted before I even knew what it meant. My Father was ex-Military and obviously his experience shaped his life, but not just his... mine as well.

Keep your Shit Tight and Done Right! Even if he didn’t always use military terms or phrases, it didn’t matter. It was his philosophy and world view. Dad didn’t yell or raise his voice, you already knew you were Fucked. People always commented how I was such a nice boy, did what I was told, as if there was an alternative option. Dad was always right. Didn’t matter how you felt, feelings were of no consequence. All that mattered was the mission. So, suck it up!

This didn’t mean Dad wasn’t a cool guy. He could be very cool, funny, and even fun. Yet, when it came to business, best pay attention. Failure is not an option. You might beg to differ, but you would be back in line in no time. I maybe a better person for how I was raised or worse. I don’t really know. I can work as hard as anyone, but also care the least. I take a lot of liberties. You can’t always do what is right and duty in my opinion is bullshit.

It’s not about duty, but survival or the people you actually love. The rest is the mission and frankly it doesn’t matter what it is. There are no ribbons, no shiny metal, no fancy uniforms, no flag ceremonies. It is just the mission and maybe you will get to do another one.

I haven’t served my Country, but I have served. If there is one group I care about, it is veterans who are having a difficult time. And it’s not because they served or that I respect them, but they have my heart. There is nothing they could do or have done, that would keep me from loving them. I wasn’t afforded such.
2
2