What are some things that you think define you based on your geography or citizenship?

AmandaYVR
Thats a maple leaf, emblem of Canada, in this wall art
That's a maple leaf, emblem of Canada, in this wall art
I also lived in U. S. Was one of the 60%
I think Canadians have a certain/high level of diplomacy, and neutrality. I wonder why. We have challenging climate and geography and a more distant location, so once settled, we have never been invaded nor really had to defend our nation (though we have gone to war to aid jointly in global stability, at times), and we share a peaceable and reasonably symbiotic relationship with our nearest neighbours (though they don't think about us much, generally believing they are the older, wiser, bigger brother to us, mostly.) Canada is also not as old as some nations, and everyone who came here initially was bravely emigrating from somewhere else. I think that makes us quite open-minded and not as insular or xenophobic as some countries who are more protectionist culturally. Cds are also well-educated, passport holders, and world travellers.
I've also heard Cds are generally nice, warm, and friendly, although I would add probably not very gregarious, and can be hard to get to know more intimately. Maybe even inscrutible? In the West, it has the reputation for being cliquey. I have no idea why. I haven't noticed, but I would say we are quite a reserved bunch, socially. I tend to have deep friendships with people and get to know people quite easily once we have a shared purpose, but trying to bridge the gap in the first place, actually go out with people... well it seems there is a lot of reservation. (My 80+ yr old neighbour is the complete opposite, so maybe it's generational?) I do wonder if it's more a sign of the times and not just Canada. Perhaps it is influenced by how much self-directed entertainment etc. we have available now. It's so easy to just curl up at home and amuse onself that way, not putting energy into being out with people. But for me, I have people I would like to see more, but geography prevents that.
12
3