Why do Americans use culture to excuse their unhealthy behaviour?

Anonymous
So I was having a chat with an American friend about cuisine. I told her that Koreans usually aren't fat due to better diets (trying to reduce sugar), tv show dedicated to healthy eating and good infrastructure (parks, mountains within the cities).

I think Americans are fat due to dessert/sugar culture, which we don't really have. Then my American friend was like, "it's our culture. We can't stop desserts."

Which... well doesn't make sense to me. If something has been proven to be bad for you, you stop that habit. Your culture should promote things that are good for you. I don't know why Americans resist change and hold on to things that are bad for them.
Please explain :)
2 mo
I'm not generalizing based on one person. I lived in us for 10 years. Its also pretty widely known that u guys eat a lot more sugar.
2 mo
Im mainly interested in American's reactions towards health vs Korean reactions. For example, Koreans once learned that a specific ingredient in a snack may cause cancer. No one bought the snack and that company literally went out of business.

Whereas such reports in America don't really have that significant affect.
16
4