Does Western society have a real problem with physical/emotional interaction?

Tyrael
Unlimited texts and data plans (we used to have to pay for every text we sent ffs), easy access to social media and the demonization of sex and emotional expression all seems to have taken a toll on our interactions. All these forms of communication, and yet no one is listening to one another.

Even GaG stands as testament to the fact people can't seem to grasp basic social cues and are unwilling or unable to engage emotionally. There's a dozen questions a day asking, "does this mean they like me?" Or "what does it mean if they do this thing?". You figure out these things by asking the person. Engage with them and take a chance. Learn by doing. You can't learn how to read these cues unless you engage with people.

The lack of ability to interact with others in person really troubles me. If you want to know something from someone, ask them. The fear of confrontation or rejection is overwhelming, and it saddens me. Young people I work with won't bother confronting a customer because it's easier to just let them get away with what they're doing than it is to face the prospect of confrontation. It's a skill you need to practice.

Not to mention the complete lack of empathy that the internet has brought. Bullying and trolling people to the brink of suicide and sometimes beyond, simply because they don't have to look the person in the eye and face the consequences of their actions.

Does anyone else see this going on? Am I crazy? What's your feelings on the subject?
2
2