If the Roman Empire existed today would you consider it a livable country by modern standards?

theChineseWASP
I don’t know that much about the Roman Empire but it seems like it would be a rough place to live in. I mean they forced people to fight to the death for entertainment! And women couldn’t be emperors and there was probably a few backwards practices like slavery and stuff.

Like this is supposed to be the epitome of Western Civilization but I’m not sure it was such a great place to live unless you were already the top caste. The Persian Empire seems like it would have been better or maybe even Han Dynasty China. Or the Incan Empire.

Anyways what do you think? Just wondering out loud thanks.
Yes
No
GirlGuy
2 mo
Just to be fair I DO think the Roman Empire was livable and impressive. I just don’t know if it was the most livable empire of all human history.

I mean even just disregarding technological advancements I’m more just thinking of bureaucracy within the society itself. Like did they have social mobility, were they open minded, educated?

But regardless of that I certainly like the Western World as it is in the modern era at least.
7
15