Do you think our lack of needing other people is why so many people are lonely?

Lynx122
In the past people needed to work together or they would all die and the bonds that this creates are super strong. It gives you this feeling of belonging and makes you wanna do your best for your group. I have experienced this a few times in the military or on this one school trip where we had to work for a week in pretty bad conditions it brought us together quite a bit. Or on my volleyball team but it's not 100% the same thing.

Today even though we still depend on others it's all impersonal. Nobody knows who paved this road or built this train station or the people who maintain it and keep it clean. They might as well be invisible. Because we don't need anyone all that's left is peoples self interest.

Most communities today are a fake recreation of what its like to actually depend on somebody. We feel this hole where this feeling of community used to be and try and fill it with something but it's not the real thing. People think being in a twitch chat or being a fan of a music group is a community but it's the most watered down version you can get.

I think in the future when people look back on this time the thing they'll talk about the most is how humans had to adapt to this modern world that was completely at odds with our natural instincts. How everything we're programmed to do is so different now in this new age and how it screwed up a lot of people.
Add Opinion