What's the point of defunding the police?

mistixs
I'm genuinely curious about how it would be beneficial. I support police reform, but I don't think that would be accomplished by defunding the police.

If the goal is abolition (which I've seen espoused) I don't agree with that because I personally want there to be someone for me to call if someone's breaking into my house. The institution of law enforcement also discourages crimes like rape and murder. There are plenty of would-be rapists and murderers out there who don't rape solely because they don't want to be arrested. If the police was abolished then they would take the opportunity to go out and commit rape and murder.

If people want police to be abolished for the sake of Black Lives Matter, I think it's counterproductive because black people are at higher risk of being victimized by crime, so they'd be the ones hit the hardest by additional crimes if the police force is abolished.
Whats the point of defunding the police?
I support defunding the police because I want it to be abolished & for something better to take its place
I support defunding the police because I want it to be abolished, with nothing else to take its place
I support defunding the police because I think it would improve the police force
Vote C
I support defunding the police for another reason
Vote D
I don't support defunding the police, but I support police reform
Vote E
I don't support defunding the police OR reforming the police system
Vote F
I have no opinion
Vote G
GirlGuy
22
0