Can someone say something racist without actually being a racist (read details please)?

Anonymous
Hear me out... so my whole life I lived in an area where the shop down the road from me was called "the paki shop" (just saying it now so you know what I mean). That's what it's always been called since I was a kid, and to be honest I never thought of the name as describing the people that owned it, that's just what I grew to call it, like "walmart"... it had nothing to do with the people who worked there for me. And my whole life I didn't really realise how serious the word was, it was never pointed out to me so I had no idea. I dont think of those people any different to anyone else, so I never meant the word in a racist way. I recently got called out on it by a guy in my workplace who i was hoping to be friends with. I felt really ashamed and embarrassed as I had no idea how bad the term actually was until he said something. I apologised profusely and tried explaining myself, and said I would never do it again. But in my mind I think that guy will always think I am a racist now, when that's not the case... I just grew up in an environment where they used that word and I had no idea how bad it was. I feel awful now and I feel like this guy will hate me for it...
5
2