Isn't the main reason spanking became controversial because some parents overdid it?

Vesuvius87
Some states and other countries have banned spanking kids at school and in households. Isn't the reason for that because some parents use to overdo it to the point of leaving bruises/welts on the child's bottom, spanked with hurtful objects such as belts or wooden paddles and do it hard in anger/frustration?

I'm saying this because that's how my father used to spanked me during my early years. Sometimes it was for no damn reason such as not getting the correct answers on my math homework. By the time I didn't understand in his 3rd explanation, he was already with the belt. Or the time I had to lock myself in the bathroom because he was chasing with the belt for not understanding how to use a remote control. He was super inconsistent as well too. The times where a reprimand and probably a swap would've been appropriate... for stealing and cheating in school for instance, he did NOTHING but continue letting me get away with stealing and cheating on exams.

I think that's the main reason more people are against spanking. It's because parents like my father gave it a negative connotation/bad reputation by overdoing it to the point it's hated. Personally, I hate spanking. I vowed to never spank my future child... much less with a belt in anger.
8 d
That's the main reason... idiotic parents like my father would spank for no reason or if it was for a reason then it was too hard, done in frustration and left bruises
3
1