Democrats, why do you favor the economic policies that you do?

If you prefer particular sets of economic policy, please articulate as to why they are effective and why you prefer them. If possible, please articulate cases in history in which you’ve seen these policies to work effectively. I rather avoid blanket statements like “the rich need to pay their fair share.” At least if you post that, tell me what’s fair and why.

I’m a conservative and believe in free market capitalism with limited government interference. I oppose welfare, affirmative action, and taxing the rich at a higher rate than everyone else. That’s a small vague list of some of my beliefs. Economic climate is fluid, and fluctuates in response to millions of a different variables. What’s effective now, may not be effective later. For that reason, I try to stay open minded. I’m asking this question to learn more from the opposing side.
1
1