How militant are we prepared to allow our law enforcement to become?

Citizenkirk
People are getting permanently injured by directed energy weapons, who are niether rioting, or committing any crimes, simply because they're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Directed energy does not mean point specific. It means in the general direction of where your target is, which means that if you're next to someone the police want to hit, you're going to get hit, and neither you, nor the intended target, deserves to get fried from the inside out. I built one of these modified radiological weapons based on old Soviet designs, that work very similar to what law enforcement are using. Would any police officers like to step in front of me while I just discharge one of these weapons and tell me that they are not excessive use of force? I've seen what Laser Burns can do to the human body, and it's not pretty.
5 d
The job of a police officer in a potential rioting situation is either to diffuse a situation, contain it, or to control the suspect. How is that officers job being served by using tools that cannot be controlled, whose energies cannot be directed with any degree of accuracy, and whose damage cannot be contained with any degree of humanity?
5 d
I received one answer that suggest that more information is needed to determine the effectiveness of this tool for law enforcement purposes, the rest of the responses seem to indicate that the answer to my question is, as militant as the police decide to become. Is this inaccurate assessment of your feelings on the issue?
2
10