Why do I feel uncomfortable when people tell me I am smart or intelligent?

ShadezMcgee
So, I will say that I have pretty bad self esteem and have been that way all my life, but have been trying to improve it and be more positive.

One thing that sticks out to me is how often people call me "very smart" or "super intelligent". I will be real, it creeps me out and makes me uncomfortable. I know it is a compliment, but it makes no sense to me.

I would tell you I am probably the front runner for the Darwin Awards or Biggest Retard in the Universe if it were an award. I was never a high scoring student in school. Very reserved and quiet and tested poorly.

However people who have gotten to know me over the years and even people I meet and talk to for at least half an hour will say I am "Really smart" or sometimes if it was someone in school/college with me "The smartest guy in the grade/school"

I am not that bright. I fuck up more than I succeed and make a lot of dumbass mistakes. And my parents have made it a point to call me. out and call me that shit growing up. So I know for a fact that the words people tell me are a fucking lie.

Can someone shed light on this, relate, or know someone similar? What would you say is the problem?
1
4