For those who choose cremation at end-of-life, have you heard of water cremation? If so, would you choose it over traditional flame cremation?

SaoirseS
GAG friends, I’d like your input on a work-related subject. This question is directed at those who wish to be cremated at end-of-life. If this doesn’t apply to you, or if discussion of this topic is unpleasant, there’s no need to read further.

I am budgeting to acquire and begin operating water cremation equipment to offer as an option by 2025 (this is tentative). Water cremation (also called aquamation, bio cremation, flameless cremation, or resomation) involves a process called alkaline hydrolysis. Remains are placed in a chamber with a solution of water and potassium hydroxide, and heated under pressure. Over the course of a few hours, tissue dissolves, leaving only skeletal fragments (and maybe a few pins, artificial joints, etc.). The liquid is usually drained as treatable waste water.

In short, the outcome is the same (the image above is what it looks like). Bone fragments are ground in a cremulator and provided to the family. Only the process is different.

Despite its economic and environmental advantages, there are a few religious objections to it.
Not too many people have heard of water cremation (alkaline hydrolysis), but those who have considered it have ruled it out in most cases because the cost associated with transporting remains and using second party facilities makes it unappealing.

Regardless of public opinion, church or other religious stance, I’m obligated to carry out the deceased’s final wishes (as communicated in their pre-planning or through their family). Adherence to religious traditions or strictures is not my lane. Who pays the bill, wins, and I can accommodate most anything that isn’t illegal, unsafe, or unhealthy. For me it’s a business decision.

Thus my two-part question. Have you heard of water cremation? Secondly, if you have, would you choose it over traditional flame cremation (assuming the cost is equal to or less than traditional flame cremation)? I'd have made this a poll but I'd rather have some discussion/opinion.
24
7