Do you believe choice is just an illusion?

Anonymous
I think most people like to think they have control over their lives therefor must believe they have free will and freedom of choice. I want to make a case for the opposite.

I first though of this some years after my parents separated. In hindsight they were never right for each other I started to think a lot about cause and affect when I landed on the conclusion that they were always going to separate, nothing could be done to stop it because they were such a bad pair but when was that future outcome set. It could be argued that it was imminent from the conception of their personality before I was even in the picture. So what do you think? Could it be possible that most things are predetermined? Or are you set on the idea that every choice is spur of the moment and acts on the future as you make new choices?
1 d
This question was partly inspired by the matrix. It's a focal point of the plot but I think it's fun and interesting descussion. Thanks for participating!
2
2