1 y

Boxing/MMA/etc: Can a knowledgeable person help me understand how those hits have as much power as I'm expected to believe they do?

Now mind you, I've never been in the ring before so this isn't intended as criticism of any kind. I am merely confused ((although be warned, because I do start to get really sarcastic later in the question)). Specifically, I'm watching this video here..

I clicked on the video expecting some pretty brutal beatings, but found myself pretty disappointed at the.. well.. the lack of brutal beatings.

It's a similar pattern with a lot of boxing/ring fighting stuff I watch. Someone takes a hit and people act like it was this crushing blow.. meanwhile I'm sitting there slightly irritated because it looked to me like it was just a "prodding/warmup hit," so to speak.

A few examples from the above video, perhaps? Okay.

2:48 mark.. guy gets tapped on the head with a shin (("lol hey guy, wanna see my leg hairs")) and falls down.

4:50 mark.. critical bitch slap.

5:00 mark.. basically the entire #6. "I do have to give it up to the challenger because he did take quite a bit of punishment and kept coming back for more." At what point in the video did he take anything RESEMBLING punishment? All I saw was the smaller guy throwing a bunch of punches, taking only a few hits himself, and it's treated like he got his nutsack kicked in or something.

I started watching for moments like the one at 8:40. Notice how, for starters, the guy's head actually moves in response to getting hit ((you know, like things are SUPPOSED to do when experiencing impact)). It wasn't just a *bop* and then he keeled over. There was legitimate *BLAM* in those hits.

Look I know how nasty I sound.. and once again by NO means am I saying I can do better than those guys. Thing is I want to appreciate these fights. But I find myself routinely frustrated by how much I'm supposed to cringe at these offensives that look.. playful.

So help me understand. How are those minimalistic-looking hits so devastating?
1 y
Should have said "Why are those minimalistic-looking hits reacted to as if they were devastating-looking?"
4
7