Who Was the Greatest Baseball Pitcher Ever?

• Johnson, Walter
    Vote A
  • Koufax, Sandy
    Vote B
  • Matthewson, Christy
    Vote C
  • Ryan, Nolan
    Vote D
  • Young, Cy
    Vote E
  • Several Black pitchers were better than A through E (Explain)
    Vote F
  • Other
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Other-- this is basically impossible to answer. The greatest in which terms? Wins? Strikeouts? Lowest ERA? Depth of work (innings pitched)? Number of successful reliefs? There's no single measure that can tell us who the best of all time was. The greatest *reliever* is unquestionably Mariano Rivera, but again, if you mean a starter, then there's no way to answer this. Though, the ones you picked are very good and obvious choices. And then yeah who knows, if you also include the Negro Leagues, that throws another big wrench in the works, because of all that talent that was unfairly separate.

Good question though.

0|1
    0|0
  • I had a tough time between choosing Koufax or Ryan on this one, but I went Koufax simply because I find it cool to see a lefty do well against a heavy right hand dominant group of people.

If we go stats then Ryan wins hands down.

Modern day or early 2000s era I would say Randy Johnson.

0|0
    0|0
    • Ryan walked too many batters.

• Show All
    • 7d

Koufax would have had 6000 strike outs and 400 wins easy. Does that make you feel easier?

• 7d

@Poormanscomedian
      Not really a big deal to me, honestly. Both of then were good and if Koufax did do that then he would seal it as the best one.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'll admit I'm a bit biased but I'll say Pedro Martinez and Roger Clemens

0|0
    0|1
    • 7d

Clemens was good over 300 wins , and he deserves to be in the HOF

• Show All
    • 7d

You are a liberal, you think Media is so fair. No, I can list many , many cases when a player or coach admits he is Republican , they are punished. If you don't see it, you are biased.

• 7d

@Poormanscomedian you are completely out of your mind and I vote independent. .

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• bob gibson or sandy koufax

0|1
    0|0
  • I agree with @NYCQuestions1976. If I had to pick one man to pitch for my team and win the game my choice is Babe Ruth. That makes him the greatest baseball pitcher.

0|1
    0|1
    • It's amazing how people have no idea how amazing Babe Ruth was as an overall PLAYER. He can be compared to the greatest pitchers AND hitters. There's no other player in baseball history that can be in the "greatest" conversation for BOTH categories.

• Show All
    • 6d

@NYCQuestions1976 : Why? Because he only pitched 107 complete games in his life. Doesn't matter if it was spread out over 6 years. One full season was 154 games.

• 6d

What? Are you a baseball rube? Ruth started 147 games (most from 1915 to 1919). He finished 107 of them. That percentage is on par for that time. Also yes, it was a 154 game season... but you didn't pitch EVERY GAME! No one did! Starters back then pitched every 4th game. That's an average of 38 to 39 starts a season. Not counting his rookie year (because he wasn't on the team until late in the season), Ruth averaged 28 starts a year in Boston (probably because he was playing the outfield as well). He also pitched some middle relief and had a few saves as well. To dismiss Ruth's Hall of Fame ability and results as a pitcher because he managed to somehow also became an immortal as a hitter, is absurd.

• Babe Ruth. Don't believe me? Check out his numbers before he became an all-time hitter. He would've made the Hall Of Fame on his pitching alone. Fun fact: Ruth also had the most wins against Walter Johnson head-to-head.

0|0
    0|1
    • How could this get downvoted? It's 100% factually accurate.

• Show All
    • 7d

He pitched one season, doesn't prove anything. Pitchers usually have a great first season , then batters see them and kill them the second year. Pitchers have to get a second pitch

• 7d

@Poormanscomedian What are you talking about? One year? Ruth had a career 94-46 record with a 2.28 ERA and was 3-0 with a 0.87 ERA in his World Series starts. Check Baseball Reference. com.

• As it is hard to compare different era, I am a bit reluctant but ultimate I have to agree with Walter Johnson. Second most wins after Cy Young, and Young pitched quite a bit in a era where pitchers threw half or more of their teams games. Most impressive: 110 career shutouts. No one else is remotely close.

0|1
    0|0
  • Hard to make a fair comparison between vastly different eras and to control for offensive and defensive support from teammates as well as the advent of the DH in the AL in 1973, but Nolan Ryan's longevity as a power pitcher and Mariano Rivera's longevity as a reliever get my votes.

0|0
    0|0
    • Ryan walked too many batters.

• Show All
    • 5d

@Poormanscomedian> Ryan played on a lot of teams that didn't provide much offensive support, especially when he was with the Astros. Koufax, for example, played on a lot of great teams.

• 5d

Koufax played on the Dodgers, Ryan wanted money over rings. They couldn't afford other players.

• Probably Cy Young or Walter Johnson. They pitched in the times when players started 50+ games per season in which bullpen relief was rare and m had 35 to 40 complete games. Now you'd hardly find a very good pitched throw 3 complete games.

0|1
    0|0
    • 7d

They had 2 man rotations then. Only way Cy Young wins 500 games.

• 7d

That was the dead ball era, though, and pitchers were allowed to doctor the ball and reuse dirty and misshapen balls back then. Walter Johnson was the real deal, because he was great even after the dead ball era ended in 1920.

• 6d

@Poormanscomedian
      I voted Cy Young in the polls.

• I don't know the stats on these pitchers, but in the 70's, the Phillies had a pitcher named Steve Carlton, and even though the Phillies were in the toilet at that time, when Carlton was up on the mound, they almost ALWAYS won.

0|1
    0|0
    • One year (1972 if I remember correctly), the Phillies were 55-107. Steve Carlton managed to win 27 games starting for them. Now that's pitching!

• 7d

3rd best left handed pitcher behind Koufax and Spahn

• Noly. Ryan was dominant like no other pitcher in the live-ball era, and he did it for 27 years. Cy Young was overrated. Koufax was untouchable during his peak. Koufax may have been the best if he'd been able to put together a few more peak seasons.

0|0
    0|0
  • Good ol' Robert "Lefty" Grove. 2,266 strikeouts.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sports Bot

0|0
    0|1
  • Thats to hard to choose especially with present day players whos carreers arnt over but im going to go with closer Mariano Rivera

0|0
    0|0
  • Randy Johnson.

0|1
    0|0
  • Cy Young

0|1
    0|1
  • Scottie Pippen.

0|0
    0|3
  • Roger Clemens. With an asterisk.

1|0
    0|0
    • 7d

Why an Asterisk? He did nothing wrong

• Show All
    • 7d

Oh yes, like Trump and Russia and Judge Kavanaugh and sexual assault?

• 6d

@Poormanscomedian I’ve read your comments on this question to better understand but what I’ve surnised is that there is something clinically wrong with you. Seek help.

• Babe Ruth until he turned home run slugger

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know much about baseball, but Babe Ruth.

0|2
    0|1
  • Bob Gibson was awfully good as was Juan Marichal.

0|1
    0|0
  • That one blind guy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Koufax or Cy Young , never got to see him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Al Bundy

0|0
    0|1
  • Justin Verlander pitched on HELL of a ball all over Kate Upton's back, so. . .

0|1
    0|1

Recommended myTakes