Who Was the Greatest Baseball Pitcher Ever?

• Johnson, Walter
  • Koufax, Sandy
  • Matthewson, Christy
    Vote C
  • Ryan, Nolan
    Vote D
  • Young, Cy
    Vote E
  • Several Black pitchers were better than A through E (Explain)
    Vote F
  • Other
    Vote G

223

Most Helpful Guys

• Other-- this is basically impossible to answer. The greatest in which terms? Wins? Strikeouts? Lowest ERA? Depth of work (innings pitched)? Number of successful reliefs? There's no single measure that can tell us who the best of all time was. The greatest *reliever* is unquestionably Mariano Rivera, but again, if you mean a starter, then there's no way to answer this. Though, the ones you picked are very good and obvious choices. And then yeah who knows, if you also include the Negro Leagues, that throws another big wrench in the works, because of all that talent that was unfairly separate.

Good question though.

• I had a tough time between choosing Koufax or Ryan on this one, but I went Koufax simply because I find it cool to see a lefty do well against a heavy right hand dominant group of people.

If we go stats then Ryan wins hands down.

Modern day or early 2000s era I would say Randy Johnson.

• Ryan walked too many batters.

• 7d

Koufax would have had 6000 strike outs and 400 wins easy. Does that make you feel easier?

• 7d

@Poormanscomedian
      Not really a big deal to me, honestly. Both of then were good and if Koufax did do that then he would seal it as the best one.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'll admit I'm a bit biased but I'll say Pedro Martinez and Roger Clemens

• 7d

Clemens was good over 300 wins , and he deserves to be in the HOF

• 7d

You are a liberal, you think Media is so fair. No, I can list many , many cases when a player or coach admits he is Republican , they are punished. If you don't see it, you are biased.

• 7d

@Poormanscomedian you are completely out of your mind and I vote independent. .