Did the New York Giants do the right thing in trading Odell Beckham?

Did the New York Giants do the right thing in trading Odell Beckham?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes. Here's why: I'll play Devil's Advocate and forget about all of the stupid on-and-off-the-field, locker room, and non-game nonsense Beckham has caused or been a part of for a moment and just focus on his 5 year career based on performance and health:

Prolific numbers? Yes. He has set or surpassed a number of regular season receiving records.

Healthy? No way... he missed the start of his rookie season and was out for 16 of his last 32 games. That's half of his final 2 seasons with the Giants. So 3 out of 5 of his seasons have been marred by injuries. You need to know when to cut bait with walking band-aids, no matter how talented they are. Go ask the Chicago Bulls if they would go back in time and trade Derrick Rose instead of keeping him past his THIRD knee surgery.

Playoff performer? No way. He completely DISAPPEARED in his only playoff game with the Giants. In fact, he was wide open when he dropped two guaranteed touchdowns right off his hands in the first quarter of that game. The only receiver on the team that even remotely showed up for the playoff game was Tavarres King, who had 3 catches for 73 yards and a touchdown. He was also the only receiver on the team that wasn't on Justin Bieber's moronic cruise.

So as a New York Giants fan my entire life, I say good riddance. I also say the offense is good enough right now to put up points. With 12 draft picks, let's draft a ferocious defense and see what happens in the fall.

0|1
    0|1
    • @NYCQuestions1976
      Good breakdown. I remember him being injured, but not that much... wow. Any ideas why they may have extended him only to trade him not even a year later?
      Straight up buyers remorse?

• Show All
    • They also thought he was making a legitimate effort at being more mature. As soon as he signed the extension, he reverted back to being a jerk.

• Thanks for Most Helpful.

• Yes. The Browns deserve a playoff team. Last year's record of 7-8-1 is not playoff like record. Freddie Kitchens said it was unacceptable for Browns. Odell Beckham Jr. can split the gap rather easily I think. Since Baker Mayfield seems accurate, with an open Beckham, they should be around 10-6 if they can stay healthy and beat up on the Bengals and other less than average teams.

www.nfl.com/.../freddie-kitchens-781-is-not-acceptable-for-browns

0|1
    0|0
    • One bad loss during the season and all the narcissistic egos on the team will be at each other's throats.

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't think so. The offense is going to take a hit. He is a great receiver.

Granted, he may have had beef with Eli and been a drama queen, so I can understand why the Giants traded him.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, they should've kept him

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• boy tough question
    they are in a re-build type mode. they must be considering a new QB and as such you do sort of want to re-structure of your offense. with the trade they have two picks in the top 15 meaning if they have an eye on a QB they can use that #5 (i believe that is their pick) on that position and still get a great talent at 15or17 (whatever the browns pick is). plus they got a stud safety in return who is young

but ODB is only 26 and, regardless of his attitude, has been one of the most productive (if not most productive) WRs in the league.

it will be a good trade if their personnel depart makes good use of the 1st round pick they got back

*as a philly fan i say thank you because Beckham absolutely killed us

0|1
    0|0
    • I think 'stud safety' might be a bit of a reach on Peppers, and they also let an All Pro safety (Collins) walk so who what they are thinking. They best cash in on those draft picks, and I agree, one most certainly is likely a QB.

• Show All
    • yeah the swap of pepper for collins (effectively) basically just allows them to get a bit younger at the position... which makes sense if they are re-building
      peppers isn't a stud. but he's a 23 and a top 20 safety in the league. so he's certainly good as an add-on to a top 20 pick

• Collins is not good enough against the pass in a passing league to justify his expense. Maybe they should have tried to trade him during the season.

• I don't know. It would have been good to keep him, but they really do need improvements on their line, so I can see why they traded him. I think it is best to have a great OL and okay receivers than great receivers and an okay line. Maybe they will have a better running game this year which will lead to a better passing game too. I still think it won't be until the 2020 season when they have a good chance though.

0|1
    0|0
    • I don't see how the running game gets better without Beckham there to get double-teamed.

• If they were going to trade him then why the hell did they just extend him last year? That's the part that makes no sense to me. They essentially paid $20 million last year (signing bonus) plus now they have a shit load of dead money moving forward. Unless I'm missing something here. This was great news being an Eagles fan though...

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes.

#1: Odell is a constant distraction and drama queen that likes to make everything about himself and not the team. (Can't win championships with those kinda guys)

#2: Has been getting injury prone the last two seasons.

#3: Giants got rid of that huge contact of his that kills their cap space.

#4: It's not like the Giants were winning with him... so why keep him? Why not start over?

0|1
    0|0
  • They did not get what they could have, but they are not even a playoff team so they are wasting his prime anyway. Might as well get as much as you can for him I guess.

0|2
    0|0
  • He's a stone cold narcissist. I've had the misfortune to know way too many in my life including the workplace. Regardless of talent they are never worth the agida. As a fan/customer he was obnoxious. Best of luck in Cleveland.

0|1
    0|0
  • I can kinda get why they did. Aren't the giants sort of in a rebuilding mode?

0|1
    0|0
  • I think they were worried he would pull an Antonio Brown on them and decided to get a 1st, a 3rd, and a 1st round safety rather than wait and get a 3rd and a 5th like the Steelers did for Brown.

0|0
    0|0
  • Heh? Uh yeah, sure, but... Baseball. Where is baseball?

0|0
    0|0
  • l don't know l am from Scotland

0|1
    0|0
  • I think so

0|1
    0|0
  • Not sure.

0|1
    0|0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes