24 d

Why did people get mad that a TV commentator mentioned that Simone Biles was raised by her grandparents?

I'm a huge Simone Biles fan. I think she's the greatest athlete in US Olympic history because she's done things no one else has even approached in her sport. What I don't get is what the controversy is with her grandparents. They adopted her when she was young and raised her well, which is a wonderful story, yet apparently a lot of people got mad a few years ago when a TV commentator mentioned that she was raised by her grandparents. How is that a negative thing?

My theory is that some people took offense because they thought it was a means of embarrassing a black family, being that her family is like a lot of black families in which the parents are absent for some reason. So even though she was raised by her grandparents, it's somehow racist to say that publicly because she's black, as though only black kids are ever raised by grandma and grandpa.
4
1