How do you feel about your privacy when it comes to Facebook?

So recently I have come across this video:

Which made me wonder, could this really be true? Each day after seeing this video I have noticed more and more adds that correlated with what I have been talking about near my phone yet never searched for using my computer. So I thought to myself, yep that dude is onto something, Facebook messenger it is time to go. If you still don't believe even Facebook says that its app does listen to what’s happening around it, but "only as a way of seeing what people are listening to or watching and suggesting that they post about it". Since then no particular adds and my phones battery last longer. Will I go back to using it? I don't think so since there are so many alternatives like WhatsApp etc. How do you feel about this whole situation? Will you uninstall Facebook from your phone or let them keep listening to and recording your everyday life?

• How do you feel about your privacy when it comes to Facebook?I trust Facebook will all of my life.
    Vote A
  • How do you feel about your privacy when it comes to Facebook?I don't trust Facebook at all.
    Vote B
  • How do you feel about your privacy when it comes to Facebook?Going to uninstall it right now.
    Vote C
  • How do you feel about your privacy when it comes to Facebook?What is Facebook?
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I have never experienced this, but might be that I don't talk about things they could advertise me or they don't understand Finnish. I've already let them have all my info, there's not really anything to do about it anymore. I use Facebook so little that it doesn't bother me. And nonetheless, if I stopped using Facebook, Google would still gather all my info.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yup, that is why I don't use Chrome as well and my android phone has a troll e-mail account set up that isn't connected to my name at all. This I change every few months so it doen't log as a single user. Also I use "NoRoot Firewall" app that blocks all incoming and outgoing internet traffic. I give my phone internet only when I need to use it not when it wants to by itself.

Most Helpful Guy

• Facebook is a service which is provided to you for "free" if you wish to use it. When you use it, you accept their terms (which probably almost nobody has read even though they click the notorious "I Agree" button). If you don't want your activities monitored, just don't use the services. They have to make the money to run the service, your personal data is basically the only thing they have which they can turn in to money. Companies who want to advertise on Facebook would not be willing to pay as much as they do if the ads were just randomly shown to random people. Remember, you clicked that "I Agree" button. If you actually read the ridiculously long explanation about what they are doing, you would know what you are agreeing on.

By the way, Google has recorded what you talk around your phone for ages already, and you gave them permission to do that. You can opt-out and delete all the recorded history, but by default the feature is turned on.

Majority of the time these "surprises" people find are explained on the terms which you agree. These things come up as a surprise only because people didn't read what they are agreeing on.

Is it right for a company to listen what you talk around your phone? If they have your permission to do so, of course. If not, then it's totally different story. Life is full of choices, nobody is forced to use services from companies like Google or Facebook, even though it does make your life easier in some cases.

0|2
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 2

• Im not worried about it... I got rid of that b*tch last year and now I'm free!!! Yessss!!!

0|2
    0|0
  • Facebook is another ungodly TOOL by liberal globalists out to un Christianize America!
    “‘I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich) and the slander of those who say that they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan." (revaluation 2:9)

1|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 16

• I use an old version of the facebook lite app (which is not meant to be available in my country...) which has limited permissions, so I'm probably fine.

0|1
    0|0
    • I shall go with highly doubtful on this one =P

• Show All
    • Its no longer available. Check the link. It also wasn't available in most countries, it was intended exclusively for people with low powered hardware. Also, just disabled its mike access. Will be interesting to see if that changes anything

• Seems to function fine with microphone access disabled.

• Let's get this straight.

Facebook use and sell your content for marketing, and that includes witholding rights to sell said information off to third-party advertising. They are almost assuredly using not only wall posts (public or not), but private messaging, too. Welcome to the start of a very corporate-ruled world.

0|1
    0|0
  • That is quite... alarming. Thanks for sharing!

I do have a smartphone but I don't have any social media, let alone Facebook. For the exact reason like you have just provided.

I don't like being tracked and stalked and spied on much.
    My privacy is important to me. Personal Privacy > 90% of all other things in life.

0|1
    0|0
  • Facebook was installed as a default on my phone when I got it, and was removed within less than a day.

0|2
    0|0
    • Good on ya 8)

I did the same but my case was Twitter.

• @Unit1 Yeah, that came off, too. So did Instagram, and a pile of other stuff that I'm not even sure I'd heard of before, but had no interest in using (or being spied upon by)...

• Into the trash with all that junkware. Damn, can't companies like release their smartphones without any junkware, adware and bloatware anymore? What happened to the practices of clean factory-default releases?

• My facebook any many other website accounts have been gone for 14 days now. I know any Bluetooth device listens to what you say also. And also cars with OnStar they can listen to what you say without the Bluetooth or OnStar device being on.

0|0
    0|0
  • I definitely don't trust Facebook and I think what they're doing is definitely a huge concern for society and individual liberty, but I myself am not worried since I don't feel like I have anything to hide.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have never had a Facebook account. Firstly it was because I use a failsafe mechanism with modern trends, which is 'if everyone else is doing it/thinking it, it is wrong'. Secondly because this then gave me enough time to look into what Facebook really is. And the results were truly terrifying. To begin with, Facebook was almost certainly acquired by the US defense department many years ago, as an intelligence-gathering database. Even before that, it was a disgusting affront to privacy and human rights. A putrid, rancid old feeding ground for zombies.

0|1
    0|0
  • Too bad there is less privacy, but that can be expected. I'd do the same thing and ramp up data proliferation. The user is the product being sold.

0|1
    0|0
  • What a little snowflake cuck? You have a fucking Iphone? what a loser LOL

0|0
    0|0
    • In case anyone wonders who this anon is it would be: @errorgoodnameunfound

• Show All
    • Snowflake stop lying dude xD.. You're "so manly" you post as anon and try to deny it.. Than you open up fake accounts to try and save your behind but you fail miserably at that as well xD..

• Actually I declare it QUITE a success. You responded and gave attention to ALL of it. You didn't ignore it a single bit. You have fed my trolling tremendously and I thank you :D

• I don't even like Facebook but having an account allows anyone at anytime to know a hell of a lot about you

0|1
    0|0
  • In general: I do not trust any tech company. Apple, Samsung, facebook, Google, Microsoft, etc, are all doing the same. To optimize their products/service they are collecting massive amounts of privacy-sensitive data. They are justifying this by the fact that big data could improve the welfare of people across the globe. The sad part is: you can not go past yhese companies. In Europe we have - or at least it has been accepted by the European Parlement - that insividuals have the right to get 'forgotten' on the internet. This means that an individual can send a request to amy tech giant/social media with the rrquirement that yhe company should delete all the information about the individual. But the side effect is that when you do this, you aren't able to use any products/services of this company/platform anymore. So we are literally fucked because of the 'monopoly' position of these tech giants

0|1
    0|0
    • Interesting, do you know who to send such a request to, and what it should contain?

• According to the law a person/individual should contact the search engine operator by himself. So if you want to delete some information of yourself - which can be found on the internet - you should contact - by example - Google yourseld. I don't know the exact procedure sadly

• So what? Who didn't know that? How naive are you? Facebook IS NOT FREE! You BUY use of Facebook with your information. YOU PAY FOR IT, just not with money.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would be more cautious about mass surveillance listening in on what you are saying more than facebook.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not worried as I'm not on Facebook. :D

0|1
    0|0
  • Between google and facebook you have no privacy

0|1
    0|0
  • I try to use it as less as possible

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes