How do you feel about your privacy when it comes to Facebook?

So recently I have come across this video:

Which made me wonder, could this really be true? Each day after seeing this video I have noticed more and more adds that correlated with what I have been talking about near my phone yet never searched for using my computer. So I thought to myself, yep that dude is onto something, Facebook messenger it is time to go. If you still don't believe even Facebook says that its app does listen to what’s happening around it, but "only as a way of seeing what people are listening to or watching and suggesting that they post about it". Since then no particular adds and my phones battery last longer. Will I go back to using it? I don't think so since there are so many alternatives like WhatsApp etc. How do you feel about this whole situation? Will you uninstall Facebook from your phone or let them keep listening to and recording your everyday life?

• How do you feel about your privacy when it comes to Facebook?I trust Facebook will all of my life.
  • How do you feel about your privacy when it comes to Facebook?I don't trust Facebook at all.
  • How do you feel about your privacy when it comes to Facebook?Going to uninstall it right now.
    Vote C
  • How do you feel about your privacy when it comes to Facebook?What is Facebook?
    Vote D

317

Most Helpful Girl

• I have never experienced this, but might be that I don't talk about things they could advertise me or they don't understand Finnish. I've already let them have all my info, there's not really anything to do about it anymore. I use Facebook so little that it doesn't bother me. And nonetheless, if I stopped using Facebook, Google would still gather all my info.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yup, that is why I don't use Chrome as well and my android phone has a troll e-mail account set up that isn't connected to my name at all. This I change every few months so it doen't log as a single user. Also I use "NoRoot Firewall" app that blocks all incoming and outgoing internet traffic. I give my phone internet only when I need to use it not when it wants to by itself.

Most Helpful Guy

• Facebook is a service which is provided to you for "free" if you wish to use it. When you use it, you accept their terms (which probably almost nobody has read even though they click the notorious "I Agree" button). If you don't want your activities monitored, just don't use the services. They have to make the money to run the service, your personal data is basically the only thing they have which they can turn in to money. Companies who want to advertise on Facebook would not be willing to pay as much as they do if the ads were just randomly shown to random people. Remember, you clicked that "I Agree" button. If you actually read the ridiculously long explanation about what they are doing, you would know what you are agreeing on.

By the way, Google has recorded what you talk around your phone for ages already, and you gave them permission to do that. You can opt-out and delete all the recorded history, but by default the feature is turned on.

Majority of the time these "surprises" people find are explained on the terms which you agree. These things come up as a surprise only because people didn't read what they are agreeing on.

Is it right for a company to listen what you talk around your phone? If they have your permission to do so, of course. If not, then it's totally different story. Life is full of choices, nobody is forced to use services from companies like Google or Facebook, even though it does make your life easier in some cases.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE