Black Mirror fans: has the show changed the way you think about technology?

So I recently binged Black Mirror on Netflix. The show makes me feel sick to my stomach, but I just can't look away. It's disturbing but totally captivating.

For people who have watched the show, how (if at all) did it change your view on technology?

As a follow-up, do you think technology will ultimately do more harm than good?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I stumbled across it on the YouTube... And liked it a lot! Have watched the whole series.
    First I admired the professionalism (screenplays, actors, esthetic values and the creative ideas!)
    Secound, I was happy with its novelty... Something connecting presence and a futuristic fairy tale.
    More it was always exciting to watch and be surprised by the plot.
    My 10/10

The view - yes, sure... Especially that I am not a technical person... But got visuals which spoken to me 😉

Yes... More harm to average person, especially youngsters. I have lived for 30 years without mobile and now have daily contact with teens... Definitely I would change the law to let them use mobiles only out of a school and 2 hours daily lol 😁 (talking only about this area)

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• The serie is a criticism of actual society. It does not go feel enough and do not provide any possible solution. You send to refer only to episode 1, my opinion was that they stopped when it becoming interesting because it would have require a feeler and real work.
    Technology is a tool and won't arm anyone. Our society suffer of a lack of education with spoiled children. You will end up in the same debate pro or against weapon. The problem is not the tool but people getting to dumb to control themself.
    The first episode is actually a criticism of credit score, a thing that does not exist in other countries. It's also a criticism of how shallow people became with the use of social media.
    When you know that Facebook was made for people to not be lonely and in the end people use it to brag... And even making money with advertisement.. it appear to be disgusting.
    I don't know how the society will recover from what we are becoming and you can't seriously ask about dangerous technology when you ask that from your phone or computer :)
    To summarize: technology is not dangerous, lack of education is.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 12

• Yeah, it did change my view on technology, I now see it as a possible danger for the future. I’m unsure which way it will go but I’m sure it will go both ways in some instances.
    Also, I hated the bee episode it frightened the heck out of me.

0|2
    0|0
  • It totally changed my point of view. It made me contemplate parts of tech I am not used to thinking about very often or even at all. I think technology will result in the end of the world if I'm completely honest lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I think, like with any invention, it will be used for bad, then rules will have to be made and things will be okay for a while. Then something else will be made, and then it will repeat.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have never been a fan of the importance of technology today so the show changed nothing in my eyes at all. I think it is doing more harm than good.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes it’s crazy. Definitely makes me think about technology a lot more and how badly or goodly it can effect people.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love this show ! But it kinda made me scared from technology it's kinda creepy

0|0
    0|0
  • No it just reinforced my feelings regarding technology

0|1
    0|0
  • Technology, like anything, can be used for good and for bad

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Love that show

0|0
    0|0
  • LOVE this show. And it's definitely eye opening and creepy to think of the possibilities of technology and the impact it would have, it does now even. The name is so creative too since black mirror is meant as our cell phone

0|0
    0|0
  • It creeps me out and trips me out

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. It has had an impact. Very futuristic but at the same time unpromising what is coming!

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• Not at all.

The show is more about human nature and how technology is enabling it, or being used to feed off it in different ways.

Technology is and always will be a tool. It's what we as people do with that tool that matters.

0|0
    0|0
  • At least half of the episodes were commentaries on society problems that weren’t caused by the technology that it used. I don’t fear technology, but I am very wary of social media gaining legal power.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm watching season 3 right now! I can't say it has altered my view on technology. Of course, people make mistakes, and bad things happen, but I think that in the end, technology will do more good than bad

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Technology isn't all it's cracked up to be. The less of it we use, the better. Throw away your "smart" phones and get flip phones instead. Less Facebook and Insta and all that crap.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's an excellent series I just can't get enough of.

Regardless, the consequencesmin the series aren't things I wasn't aware of, as to how it parallels real life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Go back to the original The Outer Limits. It wasn't any different, except for there wasn't any dystopian bullshit. I was stoked then. I'm way more stoked now. Come my children!

0|0
    0|0
  • It didn't. And so long as our advances in technology exceed our advances in humanity, then mathemagically the answer is yes to doing more harm.

0|0
    0|0
  • It didn't change my view. I still love technology.

I may hate people a little more now though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, course I also think Black Mirror is a sorry excuse of a TV show... So maybe I am biased

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really. I've always had mixed feelings on technology anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.. weird

0|0
    0|0
  • Fucking Metalhead

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes