If social media removes "harmful" content, should they be responsible for things they fail to remove?

Censorship works both ways. Remaining independent from content makes websites simply a 3rd party publisher of user opinion, with no liability for what is posted. In contrast, once action is taken to decide what is acceptable, the platform assumes responsibility for the content of it's users.
If social media removes

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Your question is perfect. I think they should be responsible, yes.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Major social media platforms should not be allowed to remove any content protected under the 1st amendment

0|0
    0|0
  • not only that but who decides what is considered harmful. something one person would find offensive, others wouldn't

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• I don't think they remove anything and everything. There's probably a criteria for this. I don't live in America though, so the laws are different there.

0|0
    0|1
    • That's the problem, they have decided to be the judge of what is acceptable, so it only makes sense to hold them to this standard.

• Do you know how this stuff works in the U. S. with regards to the First amendment? I can't really get a straight answer when I googled it and I was wondering :( I'd assume social media is included too.

• Employees who work for the gov't are covered by the 1st amendment. Those who are employed in the private-sector do not, as a rule, have First Amendment protection for their speech in the workplace.

What Guys Said 5

• When some dude kills himself the blood is on there hands cuz of some comments not removed. If they just totally stayed away from censoring it wouldn't be their fault. They brought this on themselves

0|1
    0|0
  • I hate censorship it's so annoying. Wait what if there was a way to make it that there's one internet for 16 up and an other for 16 down censored lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the size of the site, really. And the type and variety of content on it.

0|0
    0|0
    • So size does matter?

• Show All
    • Now is the time for the hive mind to spread

• What can we accomplish with such an impressive collaboration of intellect?

• I have no idea

0|0
    0|0
  • why would they remove harmful content?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes