Is google translate reliable?

If you put the Turkish word "Kaçlısın" into Google Translate it tells you it means "How fast you" in English.

but people on Quora who are native speakers of Turkish and also speak fluent English say that "Kaçlısın" actually means "Which year were you born" in English.

https://www.quora.com/Does-Ka%C3%A7l%C4%B1s%C4%B1n-mean-How-old-are-you-in-Turkish
  • Yes, Google Translate is very reliable but it sometimes makes mistakes. Nobody can be right all the time
  • No, Google Translate is not relaible and you should not rely on it

720

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope, it usually fails when it comes to grammar, sometimes it misrecognizes certain languages, or mix them, confusing one similar language for another.
    Also, they don't have my language on Google Translate yet, so it usually falsely identifies my language, mistaking it for Croatian, Serbian or Bosnian.

Most Helpful Guys

• Languages are rarely compatible which means they are often context sensitive which is something google translate is terrible at. It can give you a rough understanding about what something means given the context but until they start to really implement AI algorithms that will be the extent of it.

• English doesn't translate into other languages well. The rules of English dont apply to other languages so you have to consider what you put into translate to get a proper translation. It's very reliable but you have to know how it works. Know the rules of the language you're converting and Google Translate is your best friend.
    Take it from someone that speaks 2 languages fluently and the 3rd almost fluently. English is... just the hardest shit to decipher after a while. Did you know that "Will will will will will will will?" Is an actual question?