Is google translate reliable?

If you put the Turkish word "Kaçlısın" into Google Translate it tells you it means "How fast you" in English.

but people on Quora who are native speakers of Turkish and also speak fluent English say that "Kaçlısın" actually means "Which year were you born" in English.

https://www.quora.com/Does-Ka%C3%A7l%C4%B1s%C4%B1n-mean-How-old-are-you-in-Turkish
  • Yes, Google Translate is very reliable but it sometimes makes mistakes. Nobody can be right all the time
    Vote A
  • No, Google Translate is not relaible and you should not rely on it
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope, it usually fails when it comes to grammar, sometimes it misrecognizes certain languages, or mix them, confusing one similar language for another.
    Also, they don't have my language on Google Translate yet, so it usually falsely identifies my language, mistaking it for Croatian, Serbian or Bosnian.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Languages are rarely compatible which means they are often context sensitive which is something google translate is terrible at. It can give you a rough understanding about what something means given the context but until they start to really implement AI algorithms that will be the extent of it.

0|1
    0|0
  • English doesn't translate into other languages well. The rules of English dont apply to other languages so you have to consider what you put into translate to get a proper translation. It's very reliable but you have to know how it works. Know the rules of the language you're converting and Google Translate is your best friend.
    Take it from someone that speaks 2 languages fluently and the 3rd almost fluently. English is... just the hardest shit to decipher after a while. Did you know that "Will will will will will will will?" Is an actual question?

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• No not at all. Although I must say it works for words and short phrases. However if you are looking for translating a whole page of a book or even a sentence its highly unreliable . Their translations sometimes makes me laugh 🤣. You can rely on using the google web search its better than the app itself. I have seen that when I type sentences on google web search it yeilds satisfactory results. #translationissuchahardworktodo

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, Maybe on your Laptop or Computer but on your Google Voice Phone? Cannot Always Depend on even AN ANSWER. lolxxoo

0|0
    0|0
  • I often wondered about this. Thanks for asking this question.

0|0
    0|0
  • 私は自分を切りたい. 私は死にたい.
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's not reliable

0|0
    0|0
  • No some words are wrong.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 18

• For those of us who don't have native speakers at hand it is a decent enough tool, although it does make mistake. In a pinch I'd trust it rather than not.

0|0
    0|0
  • You can only use it to get a rough understanding of basic concepts. It does especially well with commonly used phrases such as "Good morning", "I love you", etc

0|1
    0|0
  • No, not particularly.

A native speaker will know easily that a translation service has been used.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, computer translating is terrible, because it doesn't understand things like context. I'm taking beginner German, and my teacher is against translation.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, Google Translate is not reliable and you should not rely 100% on it , but you can use it as a start for a language you don't know at all. Be careful and double check with another translation site

0|0
    0|0
  • For basic sentences, yes it is, but not more complex ones, especially technical topics.

0|1
    0|0
  • Good translate can be pretty hit or miss, so no, it isn't hugely reliable

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the language, but in most cases, it's not very reliable.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I've tried translating my favorite anime and gotten nothing but gibberish.

0|0
    0|0
  • Doko no chizu deska translates to "How many chops are this." It means: What kind of cheese is this.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes