Do you think AI should be treated with the same level of reservation & danger as nuclear weapons?

I recall how Oppenheimer and Einstein recoiled at the way the technology they helped produce was used, both in the bombings of Japan as well as the reframing of the geopolitical landscape through things like MAD (mutually assured destruction).

I look at opportunists like Mark Zuckerburg and others trying to harness AI’s in a similar light, Oppenheimer died an alcoholic trying to grapple with what he did yet the pioneers of AI may never live to see the infernal consequences of their actions.

My question is Should we treat them similarly, or is this comparison off base?
  • We should.
  • No, that’s wrong.

011

Most Helpful Guys

• It is way off base. AI isn't a threat and in order to create something that is self-aware we would have to understand how consciousness works.

We don't. In fact, we don't even know where to begin to start that conversation.

As many scary threads as there have been at GaG, no one has even bothered to create a thread to talk about "what is consciousness"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AOXlhTNUrM

• Current AIs don't emulate consciousness but they can very well make decisions. Consciousness is not needed for most tasks.

• 7d

@YHL6965 You are saying you study it? I use it. I use it as several different accounts for monitoring threats. I use it for analyzing inbound email. Because internet security has evolved beyond recognizing signatures. We had to. We monitor behavior. And for that we needed a smart solution that can recognize when things are not happening in a predictable fashion.

AI is not always "correct". I am not sure where this idea of making mistakes comes from. But my techs get alerts about things that seem suspicious. It is far from perfect. But it is a whole lot better than having a guy sit and read lines of logs or analyze every single questionable action.
      I don't have the time and my clients do not have the money for that.

As for the rest of your post. . . all I can do is respond with a question mark.

Like ?

• 7d

Yes, it's definitely better over humans in terms of long regular tasks as AI do not feel fatigue. What I was talking about (in terms of better results) was, in terms of recognizing patterns. AIs can very well surpass humans : a test has been made where and AI and a doctor had to identify cancerous tumors on various images (some images did not contain tumors), and the AI had a better success rate. However, AIs, depending on how they are configured, can identify erroneous patterns, which can lead to potentially disastrous consequences.

• No AI has some big problems that's going to take probably over a hundred years to get over before it's any threat to humans so at least for Our Generation we have really nice AI tools to make like insanely easy.

And that's if we would ever get over that hurdle right now that they're just theories.

• Well I think at least the threat of automation is threatened by very simple AI’s and that would be a threat a lot closer from the horizon than we’d like.

Even if it would take 100 years I still think the threat should inform how we handle it today.

• I would say that while there is some truth to that, you get ultimately fewer opportunities in like a coal mining industry that becomes dominated by machines. At that point, yeah there are jobs created, but a lot more coal miners get put out of work that way. Its definitely going to vary by industry but in the energy and manufacturing sector a lot of the opportunities will bottleneck as qualifying for them costs more to train for and becomes fundamentally out of reach for unintelligent people or just those who have a language barrier which was more easily surmounted in the unskilled labor industry.

• Yes Industries change has always happened throughout human history most humans used to be Farmers and did not end world now that just a small fraction of a percent is.

Stuff is changing you need to change with it not just want the world to be Frozen and how it is now like many people.

This is one major flaw with humans after they come to age they want the world to be frozen in that time really no changes at all. You can see this across the board people fighting for jobs that are going obsolete just because the people want their jobs and not adapt. You can see this with all the people against development like building new homes because they don't want the city to be changed the problem is a lot of humans have a hard time adapting after they come to age you have to always be ready to adapt if you could do that life is insanely easy if you stop adopting you start failing it's quite easy to understand