Is taking a break from social media a good idea or not?

1739

1739
  • It is a VERY good idea.
    It felt so good I've since turned it into a permanent break.
    I do still use LinkedIn, but that's more for professional reasons.

Try it - even for just one day - you'll see the difference it makes in your productivity.

Of course, if you come on GaG more to compensate for that...

• I'm a bit of technology addict if I'm honest, but it really is a good idea to take a break from it. Even if it's just a day here and there. Like, you might still answer calls/texts/emails but nothing else. More than that though, if you plan to do something (even just art/crossword) it'll help your brain be more aware and connected to what's going on around you.

• I deleted every single social media account that I have except Facebook. Even then, I only use it to communicate with distant family. The last time I posted something was in 2016.
    I basically just go there to check on major happenings in life: reports on births, marriages, and funerals. That is basically it.

• Hell yes. Except if you're in a moment when being online is a necessity, which could be for the purpose of school or work or whatever. Of course that time you need to be online so being offline wouldn't be a good idea, but when you aren't in such a situation, taking break from social media is very helpful. For me, it helps me to interact more with my family, do more of my hobbies like reading, my sleep routine gets regular, my mind feels better, and what not.

• I think YES
    Speaking of which, where have you been?

• I have taken a permanent break a few years ago. I use GAG only! LOL!

• 4d

Same here. Quite a number of years ago. Toxicity levels reduced rapidly over time too.

• Sure, as long as you have friends in real life. If most of your friends are online though, it could prove a word change than a better one, tbh..

• It is. We are a generation that seems too absorbed in looking like we are having the best lives due to self absorption. We compare ourselves to our friends and their lives with social media and it is easy to feel insignificant and have low self worth when we see others doing something cool or having a good time.

No point in doing it at the end of the day since it only breeds negativity about ourselves and our shortcomings and it makes it hard for us to be thankful and successful for what we have and have accomplished in our lives.

I would rather not have social media since it would force is to do the right thing by meeting face to face and doing things together as opposed to do things for validation.

• It is, but once i did it I found it hard to integrate back as my perspective changed, I no longer feel compelled to share my personal life with people for whose opinion i don't care.

• It's irrelevant. Why take a break. If your sick of it, just close the account. People who SAY they are taking a break are just seeking attention to stay

• 100% I did it for few months. Ut was great. Infact I deleted face book account, Instagram and found better more useful apps like GAG and Twitter. Which before I would not think about.

• Yes very much so. Go to a mall grab a chair and watch people who dont know their surrounds because their head is down as they walk looking at their phone

• I've never taken a break but I've decreased it by 70-80%... for the moment only GAG and like 30 min per day on average as the maximum :D

• yup it's very refreshing to look at the tree outside my window rather than watch some dude stream his mass shooting

• Yes taking a break from Social Media is great idea
    sometimes too much Social Media can be bad for
    our emotional health.

• Yes to give yourself a day from drama. I say at least one days break a week

• It's a great idea you need some time away to recharge

• yea you can focus on other things that are more important

• good idea
    if you're going to do sothen good luck
    from this April i'm gonna take break from the internet for 2 year

• It's good to take breaks every now and then, especially if it can easily be a distraction in your focus of other important things in real life. I've took a long break from facebook and I don't care about it anymore, but I still enjoy instagram because as an artist whose working in the art field, I like to get as much information, tips and creative ideas as possible, and I find a good percentage of that on Instagram from my followers. I try to be in connection with the best and skilled artist, animators and etc. If the social media website or app doesn't put almost any good effect or support in your life and is just used for entertainment, then it would be best to give it a break, just like taking a break from eating bad foods.

• It's a great concept. Everyone is encouraged to enjoy a permanent break

• Its hard to do but I do it during holidays when I'm off school even if I'm not going anywhere

• It's definitely a good idea, but it's a very hard one too. LOL

• Great idea! I'll be taking a 6 month break from here in 18 days..

• Maybe if you are like Americanteengirl. I'm pretty sure it's making her borderline suicidal.

• I think its a good idea to take a break from social media

• Why just a break? Go for it and ditch the electric aids!

• I use GAG only but for few more days. Hope I will not use it too

• Yeah I permanently deleted my Instagram account because it's Ridiculously annoying..

• Actually a good idea. Social media is helpful in many ways but you can only understand its downsides when you stop using.

• I am on a constant break from it. And I am pretttty damn happy like this.

• 2d

This comment is so ironic.

• 2d

Not really. This site cannot be considered as traditional social media. And I don't use anything else. I don't even generally follow people.

• A Break is Good sometimes down the Lines. xx

• Whatever works to make things better.

• Yes yes yes YES a million times. X)

• RIP.

• Of course it is, social media is cancerous.

• It's always a good idea

• It's a good idea. I do it sometimes

• very good idea

• Yes, It's good to take a break from time to time.

• Yes its a great idea

• Yeah It is

• It can be yes

• Definitely good idea

• Yes it is

• Great idea

• It's a HUGE idea. Do it.

• Depends on what kind of user you are ๐Ÿค”

• Really good do it

• Good idea

Show More
6