Is it strange to have absolutely no presence on social media/the internet?

I'm 24, and unless you know my full name and access public city records, I don't exist anywhere.
I have no personal Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, MySpace, anything.

I have no desire to publish any details of my life on the internet, or share personal data with large companies like FB/Google. I have a lot in common with Ron Swanson, if you've seen Parks and Rec.

My best friend recently (jokingly) said that is "serial killer behavior" and "super weird". And a few new friends thought I was some sort of foreign government agent.

Is it really THAT weird? Is my tinfoil hat on too tight?

4|4

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Not really

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol... I can't really comment on whether I think it's weird or not... since I'm actually in the same boat as you 😅

I have zero online presence as well. I never give consent to anyone to take my pictures and post on any publication. I even went as far as to get my bestfriend to do any online shopping for me so companies like Amazon can't model market data on me. And I hate the fact that I am even on the voters register as well... I just wish there was no trace of me whatsoever... I'd love to be a ghost. To me that's ultimate freedom. I just simply don't trust anyone with information on me.. it seems like a weak position to be in... so why put yourself in that spot?

Also once you come to realise how the real world of espionage works... then you will realise how every single thread of information can be construed against you... if you ever become a figure of power... then you can be targeted and blackmailed in to complying with their demands and often times recruited to do their bidding.

It's a complicated world we live in now... have you ever thought about faking your own death and assuming a new identity? 🤣... or is that something that only works in movies? Lol

0|1
    0|0
    • 5 d ago

Just go full John McAfee and run away to Belize

But yes, it is quite terrifying to imagine what can be done with sensitive information, especially in an age where anything can be construed as "offensive"

• no in fact its kind of a turn on. yeah im weirdo like that. it makes me want to get to know you better instead of relying on your social media. keeps me wondering on what you’re doing right now, instead of just seeing it on a story. but you’re older now so there’s really not much of a reason to

0|1
    0|0
    • 2 d ago

That's very flattering, thank you. It doesn't seem like the kind of viewpoint most people have towards those who like to stay Anonymous like myself, I'm glad you exist and others like you.

But yes, isn't it so much more interesting to get to know someone piece by piece, rather than knowing a ton about their life just from their instagram? That's how it used to be for the entire history of mankind.

But now, not only do you learn so much, you learn something false, because nobody's life is really like they make it seem online. Yet for some ridiculous reason if you don't take part in that dishonesty you are a weirdo and a stranger to many. Thankfully not everyone! :)

• 2 d ago

Yeah that’s really true as well, everyone just wants to put their best on their socials and its not a real reflection of them.

• Nah, it’s uncommon, but I wouldn’t say it’s weird. I have some social media to save my phone bill and communicate with friends, but I only have accounts on 2 platforms. The serial killer joke and government agent thing is kinda funny tho lmao

0|1
    0|0
    • 5 d ago

Yeah I was so thrown off, like are you serious dude? lol
      He thought it was the weirdest thing ever, glad I'm not alone

• I don't find that weird. You're not forced to be on social media and you certainly don't need them to live. It's not a big deal.
    But, some people might think it's strange because they like social media, so they assume that everybody has to be like them.

1|3
    0|0
  • NO. It's not. Your friend sadly is very ignorant to say that because many serial killers are in fact very social and are hidden socio and psychopaths. They are in the NOW more than ever and as smart as other everyday people. That is how they catfish you and lure their prey. If anything, your SMARTER to not have it or limit the amount of information you put online as much as possible.

1|0
    0|0
  • You’re a very smart man. The things the big. Tech companies do with your personal data is insane.

0|3
    0|0
    • 5 d ago

Facebook even gave some companies access to users private messages, nothing is sacred

• 5 d ago

Google reads all your gmails as well. And even if you don’t have facebook they can create a composite you online from reading all your friends’ contact information. If you’re friends with Suzy and Bobby and they both have facebook and you’re in both their contacts... and Suzy and Bobby live in San Francisco - there’s a good chance you do too.

• 5 d ago

That is terrifying, /this/ close to moving to the mountains

• It’s not weird it’s you, your an individual with difference of likes dislikes and want your freedom and privacy.

You don’t feel the need for public recognition from complete strangers for fakeness.

Keep being you.

0|1
    0|0
  • It is more common as you may think and I know a few people that follow the same trend.

I myself have not a single social media account and the only email account I use is the one provided by my school for the lessons and internal communication.

I avoid Google search and use lesser known metasearch engines. And I always use VPN, always, regardless where I am. Sure, those basic steps don't ensure my 100% social safety but there is not 1 single picture or reference to my real identity on the official Internet or, hopefully, on the Darkweb.

My cell is an antique flip Nokia that does not have the capacity to send/receive anything else than SMS/MMS.

I may be paranoia but my privacy is my prerogative and not the one of any state, government or any type of GAFA.

And guess what? I am alive and kicking just as well as the others!

0|1
    0|1
    • 5 d ago

I highly respect that! I also go to certain great lengths to ensure my privacy but not to the extreme yet.

Do you use DuckDuckGo?

Too many humans put themselves into the spotlight these days. I can't even look at that.

• Show All
    • 3 d ago

@Unit1 The thing is that the small ones are being crushed by the multinationals and people are like sheep that follow the A-sheep down the cliff.

It is so much more convenient to get strawberries in December that have been grown in green houses in Southern Spain, a region that drains all the fresh water to grow greens and fruit for those people that want to eat strawberries at all time of the year, rather than to wait for June and pick them in the field at the local farmer's.

• 3 d ago

Hm. I see, that the farmers never stop growing produce and selling their food. I haven't seen them being somehow crushed. If anything I see they are more popular than ever in our century.

• It is weird, but it also depends, if you were to work in field that has to do with media or influencing someone in a way, be it science, fitness trainer, artist or something like that, it would be counter productive for yourself and might lower your chances with employers.

0|1
    0|0
  • It is not weird, its normal. Its also healthy.
    You probably already know this, but it does make talking to girls harder, since they are all glued to their phones.

I gave up on all social media last year and haven't looked back. I feel liberated.
    I literally only use G@G, because it grants me some anonymity

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm 24 and never had an Instagram account. I hear people say 'How can a girl like you not use instagram, it's 2019' Like I'm obligated to have one even if I don't want to. Used to be on FB but not anymore.

0|1
    0|0
  • For someone who has access to it, I think it is a little weird in this age. Forget about social media, not being on there is absolutely normal but on the internet as a whole, it's kind of a requirement these days you know? Companies, schools, colleges, workplaces need you to be on the internet at least for e-mails you see... It makes their job a lot easier when it comes to sharing information with their communities.

0|0
    0|0
    • 5 d ago

I have a personal email for work and accounts I need to create, and a "throwaway" email with nothing on it that I use to sign up things for.
      Its impossible not to. So technically I have a tiny presence, but it is strictly professional.

• Same I have like a facebook account with a male name and no pic so no-one can find me. I like to occasionally play games and I save it throgh facebook on my cell. I have a twitter to read the latest gossip but that I talk to others on that or any platform no thanks. lol I might start YT but I don't plan on having a social media. It seem stressful tbh.

1|0
    0|0
  • it's healthy to be off social media. Nowdays, The internet is toxic negative and full of crap.

1|3
    0|0
  • I don't think so. I have no smartphone and no presence on any major social media outlet, unless GAG counts as one. Exercising your right to privacy doesn't mean you're paranoid.

0|2
    0|0
  • i dont exist anywhere as well... but i tell you what.. i bet i can find you :)
    but if you dont exist... dude... i need you to show me... i erase myself

0|0
    0|0
  • Use a bank, own a home, rent a home, go to the gym, have a license, have a SOCIAL SECURITY CARD, had kids, been married, use this app, have an email, have a cell phone... There is absolutely information about you don't want out there, out there

Google alone denies usage of many of it's apps unless it gets storage access, and it's very well known they collect data.

I just realized that you're talking social media... Not weird.

0|0
    0|0
  • The goal of social media is to make people subtly insecure about themselves.

They want you to join because they feel lonely there. Not doing so is the smart move.

0|2
    0|0
  • I would say you are wise to do all of that. The amount of data that Google and Fb have on the average moron like me is mind boggling.

0|2
    0|0
  • Im the same and what I find strange is when I tell people I won't do it and I won't let my kids do it because in my mind it could cause them danger people tell me im stupid and how is facebook a danger to kids. All i can say is im sure its safer for them not to have it.
    So no its not weird , it is probably a wise move

0|0
    0|0
  • Unfortunately yes. I found it out pretty late after getting some very strange responses from a few chicks. My suggestion is to make some kind of BS page showing how fucking cool you are, only so it is there when creepy stalker chicks decide to check out if you are some kind of creepy serial killer. Because you know , It's not like a predatory psycho would create some of the most alluring social media presence for themselves..

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that's wise. I think I'm similar for the most part. The exception in my case is that I do have a public business page on FB where I share videos and images on my latest work and research, but it's not very personal at all (no personal photos of mine), as well as a LinkedIn page for my professional background.

I do have a private page on FB and a social media here called Mixi but I only accept real friends I know and family there, and we only use it to arrange social meetings together. I prefer to keep the private life private and out of the public eye.

0|1
    0|0
  • Strange, but probably WISE on your part. It is a massive time waster at best, and yes, a gateway for others to mess with you at worst.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not at all, good on you for not, I only have this and Facebook but I log into Facebook once every other day, I only really use it to communicate with friends and family in different countries. Social media can be a good or a bad thing depending on how you use it!

0|0
    0|0
  • My dad is 62 and the same, he only had an email and Skype account that he shares with my mom. It's unusual, but not weird, do what you're comfortable with :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont think so. I feel the same, it feels unconnected and pointless, most social media just seems to lead to pointless drama.

0|0
    0|0
  • Extremely weird. Actually, it’s progressively less productive to have no information about yourself in social media.

Now you don’t have to proactively use social media, but not having accounts with even a modicum of information is frankly suspicious.

I remember this guy who told a friend he doesn’t have any social medias and I warned her he was playing her. A couple dates and a one night stand later, he’s disappeared.

As others have said, you are sharing data with google regardless of what you believe.

I use social media, but have detached myself from the more toxic social environments such as FB and Instagram. I use my Reddit for comedy, Twitter for my hobby, and this to give and seek advice.

1|0
    0|0
  • No not strange at all. You are better off. Social media is nothing but drama

0|4
    0|0
  • some people want to live a more secretive life away from toxic social media and i think that’s 100% fine.

1|1
    0|0
  • That's actually pretty mature. Not having any social media to distract you. It also makes it difficult for people to stalk you.

0|1
    0|0
  • Make that sucker tighter my guy. I’m 21 and I’m trying to detach myself from social media. It forces me to try and live a perfect life. I don’t like that, I’d say it’s not weird and you’re doing what’s absolutely best for your mental health.

0|0
    0|0
  • no im the same way, the only reason i have a facebook is because my mother made me get one to stay in contact with my grandmother, and i still havnt even logged in in 4 years.
    I HATE social media with a passion, all the things you can do with a computer, game, research, learn to code so you can build you things, learn about anything via wikipedia, online classes, etcetc.
    And what do people do with it? They create pointless drama and arguments over the most frivolous things ever and get all butt hurt and worked up over something that would have never happened or even matter.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is pretty strange but probably smart too. The only reason I'm on social media is because it would be inconvenient not to be. I need it for stuff with my band, promoting shows and stuff. Outside of that I don't use it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not weird at all. I don't have any of those social media accounts either.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. More people are not using social media--or only have one.

1|0
    0|0
  • You´re doing the right thing. I don´t have any social media because of googlephobia.

0|1
    0|0
  • You are sharing personal data with FB and google whether you like it or not.

1|1
    0|0
  • I dont find it werid but im bias too. I dont understand social media. Most the people dont even like you.

I never had a Facebook or IG or twitter.
    I have tones of real-life friends. And I still stay in contact with old school mates. What makes my cold dead heart beat a little is when they reach out it genuine. They can't just send me a lazy thumb up or like. Anyone can do that. Im not a texter either call me or video call me if you need to talk don't text me your life problem and expect me to care.

Most people don't find it too weird once they get to know me. My famous words of "I just can't be bothered" seems to explain it all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, not at all. In fact, I think it's rather smart because of how toxic, political, drama-infested, and even dangerous social media is.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's probably odd for your generation but 30 years ago none of those sites existed so depends on your perspective.

0|0
    0|0
  • Having no social media presence has some upsides, its virtually impossible for anyone to troll you and if you happen to do something that infuriates the Loony Left they cannot attack you through any of the platforms they love, they'd have to physically confront you which leaves them vulnerable.
    Also Big Tech have little or no data on you and if you have never held any credit cards or taken out any loans, the credit checking agencies and banks have even less data to work with. If I could do it I'd be using only cash to leave enen less of a data trail.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Nothing wrong with that at all. I admire you. I couldn't do that myself; I would feel too isolated.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are only weird because you are what used to be normal. Stay old normal as much as you can.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess nowadays it might be unusual but it doesn't matter. If you dont want to, then don't. It's up to you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not strange at all but very smart. I actually did used to be like you years ago, but alas I too have fallen into many social media platforms in recent years. Most of them I'm not really active on like Twitter, Snapchat, or Instagram, I just have open accounts there and follow a few people but do nothing. And Facebook has been my more recent headquarters after the very depressing shutdown of Google+ which was my main Rebel base.

I think you're just fine and part of me wishes I still never got so deep into social media, but at the same time it's also benefited me in ways and areas that I didn't have certain advantages in before.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Not everyone is Internet-capable or accessible. And there will always be those select few that choose not to keep up with technology trends.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your information is stored somewhere. You can’t hide.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't use those either but I do exist on FB from when I was in high school. I just find social media boring.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not strange, I only have an email because I’d required for work.

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes