Share your hotel experiences?

Share your hotel experiences when travelling. Can be great, good, meh or bad to awful. Talk about what you did and didn't like and why?

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Nothing unusual, creepy as always halls, cheap soap and shampoo that disappear after I am gone, mystery
    I think my favorite part is the bathtub, we don't have one at home so I compensate when I go to hotel

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• The Worst:

- In northern Greece, we once arrived at a small, family-owned hotel in the mountainous countryside. From outside, the place looked quite romantic actually. This view changed quickly once we were inside, though. Unfortunately we couldn't leave because it was already getting dark and it was raining like crazy outside. My parents had no idea how far we'd have to drive until we get to the next village/town, so it seemed reasonable to stay for one night. We booked two rooms - once more my parents and one more my sister and me. In our room, there was rice lying EVERYWHERE. Probably from a wedding. Rice on the floor, on the bed and on the desk. I wonder if they even changed the sheets... . In my parents room, there was a really terrible stink... it smelled like a corpse was lying under the bed or something like that.
    In the morning we were served breakfast and most of the food was literally gone bad. For example the milk was sour and the butter was rancid. No wonder we were the only guests.

- In Venice my wife and I were totally ripped off. We paid a lot of money and expected a really nice room. Instead, we received a room without any windows (!) and with very little lighting. It felt super creepy... like some kind of a prison cell. The walls were just plain concrete, no plaster or anything like that. Very close to the shower, there were open/broken cables coming out of the wall. Every time we took a shower, we wondered if we'd get electrocuted the next moment.

- In Boston, on our honeymoon trip last summer, we stayed at a very fancy hotel for a few days. The hotel itself (room etc.) was fine but the staff consisted of some of the rudest people I've met in my life. They acted super snobby and because they could tell we were young and probably not rich, they treated us like shit. It really pissed me off because we paid them just like all other customers.

The Best:

- Also on our honeymoon last summer, we stayed in New York City for 10 days. There, we had a hotel where literally everything was perfect. The room was awesome and quite spacious for NYC-standards. The bed was one of the best I've ever slept in. The food was great too. However, most importantly, the staff was extremely nice and accommodating. There was this girl who worked as a waitress in the hotel restaurant and smiled at us every time we showed up and had a chat with us. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, whether it was the doormen, the receptionist, the waiters or the room maid.

0|0
    0|0
    • - In Japan, my best friend and I stayed at a hotel in Matsushima, which is a small fishing village roughly 200 miles north of Tokyo. It's a place no foreigner usually ever visits, let alone western foreigners. The hotel was small but very cute. None of the staff spoke a single word of English, which made communication a difficult but also funny. They still tried really hard to be accommodating. For example in the evening, a young girl knocked on our door to serve us dinner in our room (that's common). She prepared the small table and the mats for us to kneel on, then she put all the food on the table. Finally, she kneeled next to us and began explaining all the different foods in great detail - and of course in Japanese. We had no idea what she was saying and she clearly realized that but kept going nonetheless. In the end, all the three of us had to laugh, which was a beautiful moment because it showed that you don't always need to speak each other language to understand each other:-)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

• Ooooo, last summer I went to the beach in Florida. We went all out with this vacation, got an amazing room on the top floor of this hotel right near the coast. The bedroom I slept in had floor-to-ceiling windows along one of the walls, and so for about a week I woke up every morning seeing the ocean. It was an incredible view, I loved it. To be honest, I spent more of my time up against that window that I actually did down at the beach.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don’t like hotels. I’ve been in fancy and bad. Just not my thing

0|1
    0|0
  • haven't been to a hotel in years, but I have a hostel experience! I was traveling with some friends and we were at the dorm, it was probably like 2 am when I heard a girl being really loud.. at I thought she was you know.. satisfying herself, I was still half asleep lol but she was having sex with a guy from the room. It was not a very nice experience because she was loud., they did it for long and another drunk guy that was in the room was clapping for the longest time... Didn't really get that much sleep that night lol

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't like hotels.

0|1
    0|1
    • What did they ever do to you?

• Show All
    • Adults pee in showers, kids adults vomit/piss/spit/PMs in pools. it just has to be really upscale for me to consider

• I hate pools too

What Guys Said 7

• My best were always the ones where we missed our connecting flight, and the airport put us up in these 5 star hotels

The worst was in Wells, NV. The place wss literally falling apart.
    The Taipei experience was also bad, because the place was nothing as described.

1|1
    0|0
  • I hate hotels with a passion. The air feels sticky and the beds have been through everything from hooker sex to being the storage method for dead bodies... no thanks

1|1
    0|0
  • The bad: : in Cairo we were lodged in an annex in an unpaved back street , as dirty as Cairo could be, 40 years ago. But at least we had clean sheets. When we got out in the morning, there was a herd of sheep blocking the street.
    In Louxor we had to fight half a day to get a room, despite a confirmation telex for our booking. Beautiful tropical garden along the Nile.

In Vila Hermosa (Mexico) we arrived during a blackout: no one to carry our luggage to the 5th floor. When electricity came back, the AC started blowing freezing air, no other way to stop it than to put a mattress vertically against the opening.

In Merida , no AC but the breakfast was served in the backyard, near a little stream with a crocodile in it.

In N Israel we lodged in a kibbutz near the Golan heights.
    After dark, some $¤$¤$ launched bombs or rockets in our direction and we were pushed in the bunker under the kibbutz.

In Tunis we had to leave the hotel: too many cockroaches.
    In Sokhe (Turkey), we had to sleep in our clothes, too dirty.

0|2
    0|0
  • I was in a hotel in Paris. The door closing mechanism in the rooms would close the door very slowly until the last few inches and then slam it loudly. After finding this out, I would use my hand to close it quietly because I like to be considerate. After I went to bed, it sounded like a bunch of school kids moved in above me. They spent the next three hours going from room to room visiting. A door slamming every 30 seconds. NOT a good night.

0|1
    0|0
  • That moment, when you want to share your hotel experience, but you are soo damn broke, that you dont have the money to even buy a new pair of socks.

1|1
    0|0
  • My hotel experiences were good

0|1
    0|0
  • its my escape from the world

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes