Has San Francisco really become as bad as you hear?

I haven't been in years, but I heard there are homeless, junkies, human feces and needles all over the place even in tourist areas and I heard there is so much crime now even in day time.
  • Has San Francisco really become as bad as you hear? YES. Don't go there
  • Has San Francisco really become as bad as you hear? NO. It's still the same.
  • Has San Francisco really become as bad as you hear? There are problems, but it's not as bad as you hear
    Vote C

629

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a large city. All large cities the world over have the same problems.
    I live in London, which like San Francisco is an amazing city. But we have homelessness, junkies, faeces, needles etc. Unfortunately it's a fact of 21st century life (and in different forms every other century everywhere). Look for the good bits instead - for example Chanticleer, the best male voice choir in the world - and celebrate them.

Most Helpful Guys

• I have not heard this before. But I do know that the media tends to greatly exaggerate things. They'll go out of their way to find the worst images and post those. So whatever I see, I automatically assume that's the worst of the worst, and everything else is not nearly that bad.

Having lived in northern California for 12 years, including a short time in the Bay Area, I'm pretty skeptical of such reports. The Bay Area is very big, and I don't believe for a minute that it's as bad as those type of images portray, other than some exceptional places, if that much.

As for homeless, if I were homeless, I'd be heading someplace warmer, like California. No way I'd stay in a cold place where it's way below freezing in the winter. So California gets more than it's share. The people are homeless not stupid. They congregate where it's warm.

When I look at that first picture, I just see typical photojournalism. They aren't trying to get a representative picture that actually shows how things are. They are taking lots of pictures, often setting up "props" (which is probably the case in that picture), then they go through selectively picking the picture that is attention grabbing, or artistic, or portrays a certain message, whether it's actually representative or not. Photojournalism is really bad at this and is basically misinformation.

• As many people on this conversation have said, San Francisco is a typical big city in that it has a fair amount of homelessness, crime, drug use, etc. You'll find a lot of it in some areas and not so much in other areas.

Every city in the United States has its fair share of elements like this. Every single one. There's a lot of propaganda out there that says certain cities are horrible places but you have to keep in mind that's largely a rural vs. urban divide rather than a comparison between cities.