Has San Francisco really become as bad as you hear?

I haven't been in years, but I heard there are homeless, junkies, human feces and needles all over the place even in tourist areas and I heard there is so much crime now even in day time.
  • Has San Francisco really become as bad as you hear? YES. Don't go there
    Vote A
  • Has San Francisco really become as bad as you hear? NO. It's still the same.
    Vote B
  • Has San Francisco really become as bad as you hear? There are problems, but it's not as bad as you hear
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a large city. All large cities the world over have the same problems.
    I live in London, which like San Francisco is an amazing city. But we have homelessness, junkies, faeces, needles etc. Unfortunately it's a fact of 21st century life (and in different forms every other century everywhere). Look for the good bits instead - for example Chanticleer, the best male voice choir in the world - and celebrate them.

2|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I have not heard this before. But I do know that the media tends to greatly exaggerate things. They'll go out of their way to find the worst images and post those. So whatever I see, I automatically assume that's the worst of the worst, and everything else is not nearly that bad.

Having lived in northern California for 12 years, including a short time in the Bay Area, I'm pretty skeptical of such reports. The Bay Area is very big, and I don't believe for a minute that it's as bad as those type of images portray, other than some exceptional places, if that much.

As for homeless, if I were homeless, I'd be heading someplace warmer, like California. No way I'd stay in a cold place where it's way below freezing in the winter. So California gets more than it's share. The people are homeless not stupid. They congregate where it's warm.

When I look at that first picture, I just see typical photojournalism. They aren't trying to get a representative picture that actually shows how things are. They are taking lots of pictures, often setting up "props" (which is probably the case in that picture), then they go through selectively picking the picture that is attention grabbing, or artistic, or portrays a certain message, whether it's actually representative or not. Photojournalism is really bad at this and is basically misinformation.

0|0
    0|0
  • As many people on this conversation have said, San Francisco is a typical big city in that it has a fair amount of homelessness, crime, drug use, etc. You'll find a lot of it in some areas and not so much in other areas.

Every city in the United States has its fair share of elements like this. Every single one. There's a lot of propaganda out there that says certain cities are horrible places but you have to keep in mind that's largely a rural vs. urban divide rather than a comparison between cities.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• Having been there a few times in the last 8 months and having lived in the Bay Area before, I can say that it’s much worse now than it was a decade ago.

That being said if you only come nsider the news story you’d picture a horrific dystopia. It’s not that bad. It’s definitely a bad problem that needs attention but it’s not the hellush nightmare you might imagine.

It would definitely factor into any decision I made to move to that area again.

1|3
    0|0
    • I know there's a homeless problem in that area because of the high cost of living... is there anything else of particular concern

• Show All
    • @Izumiblu Where do you get those crime statistics? I have always found the area most placid, even in the supposedly "bad" barrio area by Alum Rock. That said, it is utterly not affordable to most workers now. It certainly isn't the family oriented place in which I grew up 3-4 decades ago. :(

• @Curmudgeon fbi crime statistics

I have many friends that reluctantly work in the area. Both my SO and I travel there for work at least once a month.

I’ve lived and worked there for a while.

I “like” San Jose. I love the restaurants and food and I love downtown San Jose. I would rather not live there. If I thought I could live there a few years and put down some b stock I’d consider it. But it isn’t something I desire.

• I’m moving there in August, I... don’t believe this is true. Now if you said Vegas he’ll yeah lol

0|1
    0|0
    • LOL. I heard Vegas outside the Strip is pretty bad.
      But as always the truth is somewhere in the middle. So it's probably bad but not as

• Show All
    • Depends upon the area. North Las Vegas is atrocious. Summerlin is posh. Henderson somewhere in between.

• Lol every now and then I see body cam videos of cops busting criminals in Vegas

• I haven’t heard anything

0|2
    0|0
  • Why did I read that as ’Fransisco Lachowski’?

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m not sure

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 27

• If they wanted to fix that they easily could. You don't want "dirty, unsightly homeless people" then how about you give them a place to live and send them to a place to get help.

You why homeless people are sometimes junkies? Cause being homeless fucking sucks, it's lonely, depressing and heartbreaking.

0|2
    0|1
  • A bit of an exaggeration and a generalization too. You'll find the stuff you listed there, but not everywhere. Mostly in some sketchy or run down areas pretty much like a lot major metropolitan cities all over the country. And those places could be worse than previous years, but so many parts are being improved too. I am a Cali native living here in the state and I can tell you one thing for sure though, we do have a serious homeless situation all over the state.

0|1
    0|0
  • I saw a bunch of homeless people, but not any needles or sidewalk shits where I was visiting.

0|2
    0|0
  • It's pretty bad, I think the big thing isn't how bad it is, it's that it's been getting worse and worse and worse for a long time and nobody is willing to do anything about it and everybody can see it's not going to magically fix itself.

It's not the worst major city in America, but it's certainly top 10. And there's no reason for it to be. It's great land, well situated, great weather, there's no reason for it to be a cesspit.

0|1
    0|0
  • No it is as bad as you hear. I couldn't get out of my car anywhere without getting hit up for money. There are now apps to download to direct you around the citys feces problem. Seriously it needs to be walled off and isolated it's beyond repair. So many people leaving that moving trucks are 5x the rate anywhere else in USA.

0|2
    0|0
  • It has its areas. I live 2 1/2 hrs away. Was there a couple of months ago. You just need to stay around the tourist areas. Always carry maze just in case. You never know what can happen there.

0|2
    0|0
  • I grew up in the Bay Area, San Francisco has its problems like any big city. But it’s been gentrified so much that its pushed out a lot of the poor and homeless elsewhere. The 90’s was a worse time in that city in my opinion

0|1
    0|0
  • I dunno but I doubt it's as bad as its been portrayed.

0|1
    0|0
  • Stop listening to conservative propaganda. No good can come from it.

1|0
    1|6
  • I haven't been there for a few years, but a friend of mine was just there a couple of months ago. In three days, she witnessed someone breaking into a car, had to step around human feces and needles many times, saw someone shooting drugs in his arm, and a guy wondering around with no clothes on babbling.

Back where we live we might see a rabbit eating our lawn.

0|0
    0|0
  • I live nearby. Yes, the city proper has become atrocious in many places. And this atrociousness is entirely self inflicted for ideological reasons, which is why I can't sympathize with residents until they change how they vote.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it has. People are shitting in the streets now.

0|3
    0|0
  • I was in San Francisco just a few weeks ago not even a month ago yes there a lot of homeless everywhere

0|2
    0|0
  • I only drove through it this week, but from the highway I couldn't see any urban decay. It looked clean and freshly painted, at least on the surface.

0|1
    0|0
  • Just like everywhere you'll find its fair share of crap I lived in Oakland and heard the same things.. some spots are bad but as a whole everything fine

0|0
    0|0
    • Oakland has actually gentrified in recent years. The "Old Oakland" has been priced out to Stockton.

• I assume it depends on your level of wealth. If you have money, even crappy cities around the world are still good placed to be.

0|1
    0|0
  • it's a ultra liberal hellhole

thank god I don't live there

0|2
    0|0
  • Not any different than when I lived in the TL 15 years ago. Bear in mind-these are NOT photos of the Marina, Presidio or Lakewood, ok?

0|0
    0|0
  • Ayo! I love Seattle. It's kind of dirty, but that's a great town

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not a junkie and I'm not in San Francisco.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes